Light for Security Guards

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
The company I work for is looking to get some flashlights for our night security guards. They wanted to buy mag lites and I managed to convince them that we ought to ask here first. They won't need a particular tint or battery chemistry but there are a few requirements that I hoped maybe you all could help with. The main requirements (as these are tactical lights we would want) are the following:
-Heavy/capable of being used as a club or baton
-Rechargeable
-Bright (800+ lumens but open to alternatives)
-Able to holster or with belt clip
-Price point below $100

Thank you all for taking a look and for any suggestions you may have!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican 8060 or one of the Streamlight Stingers are both solid options. I'm not sure of there availability and price in your area, but they are both proven brands, in Canada they are a little over the $100 mark, in USA they should be under that.

I wouldnt consider them them heavy but definitely capable of dishing out some self defence without breaking

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides an alkaline powered maglite, I don't know of anything matching that description. I just wanted to offer a suggestion. Many moons ago, when I was a younger man, I worked night shift security. A flashlight is a poor substitute for a baton. In those days, I appreciated smaller, maneuverable lights in conjunction with a collapsible asp baton. I find that most police officers do the same.

I see the stars and stripes in your avatar photo. If you live in the States, getting the guards qualified for baton carry is easy. Just my two cents.

maglite mike

Enlightened
The company I work for is looking to get some flashlights for our night security guards. They wanted to buy mag lites and I managed to convince them that we ought to ask here first. They won't need a particular tint or battery chemistry but there are a few requirements that I hoped maybe you all could help with. The main requirements (as these are tactical lights we would want) are the following:
-Heavy/capable of being used as a club or baton
-Rechargeable
-Bright (800+ lumens but open to alternatives)
-Able to holster or with belt clip
-Price point below $100

Thank you all for taking a look and for any suggestions you may have!
Maglite ML 150 is over 1000 lumen can be found for around $90 or maglite mag charger approx 650 lumens and costs $70 .

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Sounds like the lumen requirement was pulled out of a hat. Why? Do they need flood for close work or throw for distance?
Likewise $100 is a random round number that doesn't sound too expensive.
What about cost of maintenance?
Warranty? This will be a bulk contract, get some terms.

matt4350

Enlightened
I've always thought Mags are a great option if you're sharing lights among different operators, the simplicity beats multi-mode fanciness for operators that have little interest in what light they're carrying. Modernflame is spot on, however. You don't want to be using the light for 2 things at once, and it's a very poor substitute.

Keitho

Enlightened
It might be worthwhile to talk to the users and get their input on requirements. "Heavy" doesn't strike me as the kind of thing a security professional would ask for in a light. The users could give input as well on their specific use case: modes, button preference, etc. I have a feeling it will turn out better with user buy-in.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I cannot fathom a security company being ignorant enough in this day&age to spec'ing a flashlight for baton duty. I volunteer at our local PD, and one of their top considerations is that a flashlight is the least-acceptable method for the application of force, due to the following two concerns:

1) Legal liability
2) Ineffectiveness in obtaining compliance.

Although clarification from this security company might prove to be of some assistance, please keep in mind that official CPF policy is to not regard flashlights as weapons. Two of the reasons for this happen to be stated as (1) and (2) above - this is in no way a coincidence.

Best regards,

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the Rodney King debacle, I am surprised that any security outfit would even think of using a flashlight, especially a Maglite, as a weapon. And if you are too young to remember that incident, look it up before responding.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I'll be frank, I was told what was wanted and expressed that in the initial post however I am of the same opinion that flashlights should not be used as weapons. My initial recommendation to the decision makers was a BLF A6 but I was given the requirements stated above. I appreciate all the feedback, I believe it will be what I need to pursue a more rational and less physical decision.

So far when I have presented various lights I have gotten negative reactions to the prices but yet the decision makers want good quality lights. For those of you wondering about the seemingly strange price cutoff I expressed perhaps this explanation will help. Lumens are more flexible, I specified 800+ thinking that the light would need to be fairly bright in order to "dazzle" would-be prowlers. Please feel free to correct any incorrect assumptions I have made.

Thank you for all the recommendations!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Logistics security in the UK for many years and they are worse than we USA are... but in terms of lumens it's just a number and there are many other factors. Basically without getting into it you can have something as small as 250 lumens that will match or even outperform something putting out almost double that. And for my uses 250 has been more than enough even in the case of dazzling someone. As a physical intervention weapon it's not something that would be beneficial but more trouble.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A 3 C cell Maglite ML50 or a Streamlight Stinger are hard to beat in terms of durability, runtime and familiarity by novice personnel. Some one mentioned the rechargeable Maglite, which is also a viable option.

The Maglites have an adjustable beam as well.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leaving the "club" aspect out of it, a fairly big heavy light is good because they are harder to lose. A rechargeable battery is a also good idea for a security post - the charger should be simple to use by slapping the light into the charger without having to take the batteries out. The light itself should be simple to use, dependable and durable.

Some recommendations: Maglite ML150, Mag Charger LED (3D sized rechargeable), Streamlight Stinger and Ultra Stinger. All of these (except the big Magharger) are a decent size but still easily carried in a open belt holder for C cell sized lights (Bianchi accumold in the stinger size is real nice and should fit the ML150 as well). The big LED Magcharger can be carried in the traditional D cell sized belt rings, but it is not very comfortable for extended periods. Accessories like traffic wands and anti roll rings are available for these lights and might be a good idea.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I’ll be frank, I was told what was wanted and expressed that in the initial post however I am of the same opinion that flashlights should not be used as weapons. My initial recommendation to the decision makers was a BLF A6 but I was given the requirements stated above. I appreciate all the feedback, I believe it will be what I need to pursue a more rational and less physical decision.

So far when I have presented various lights I have gotten negative reactions to the prices but yet the decision makers want good quality lights. For those of you wondering about the seemingly strange price cutoff I expressed perhaps this explanation will help. Lumens are more flexible, I specified 800+ thinking that the light would need to be fairly bright in order to “dazzle” would-be prowlers. Please feel free to correct any incorrect assumptions I have made.

Thank you for all the recommendations!

Frankly I was surprised that the company even offered to buy lights for their officers, most large companies supply only uniforms and PPE where absolutely necessary. While I understand the reasoning behind the requirement of it to be able to be used as an impact weapon, since most companies forbid actual weapons, batons and defensive sprays...leaving "improvised" weapons as their only option for personal defense, the request seems...out of place. You need to convince them of the error in this mind set. All it would take is for an employee to kill someone unintentionally with their "Company issued" flashlight that the company "encouraged" them to use as a weapon, to ruin everyone's lives.

I would recommend the Streamlight Stingers because it's an American company with a long history as a Public Service equipment supplier and warranty claims should be a lot easier to resolve. Also finding accessories will be easier as well.

Remember to have a method of keeping track of the lights and ensuring that they get recharged on a regular basis. Also plan for routine maintenance checks as well, otherwise they will just become expensive hammers.

I wish you luck.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I presented the options you all shared To the guy tasked with making the purchase And from my perspective he already had his mind made up and is going with the very most basic Maglite (98 lumen maximum). I am disappointed by the outcome but I want you all to know that you're input is appreciated!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anything, I'm surprised that the company is willing to issue any equipment at all. When I worked as a guard, all of my equipment was my own. At least they won't be stumbling around in the dark.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Best of luck & plz keep us posted. :)

Edit: And feel free to carry a superior 'CPF-approved' option - the best way to spread the word is to be using top-tier stuff when issues arise w/ lesser products. AFAIK, Maglite still makes a pretty good product.

Last edited: