HDS Firefly 100% Diffuse GITD Reflector

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last of the special GITD diffuse reflectors are here. The HDS Firefly.
This gives a great diffuse beam (nearly as good as the old white diffuse reflector). There is no "hot spot" in the center at all.
A new process was developed to make these. It's even worse than the others.
This is by far the brightest glowing GITD reflector. It is insane. The length of "glowtime" is equal or perhaps even greater than the Double Beryl. It's as though a firefly had downed an entire bottle of "the purple pill" and was looking for a mate.

We will have 20 available at the end of the month. Actual day is up in the air right now. Same price as all the others.

Old white diffuse reflector:
img-2550.jpg

Firefly reflector:
img-2549.jpg

Close up of the Firefly Reflector in afternoon sun (1600 Tucson time).
img-2557.jpg

Same time a moment later in the shade.
img-2558.jpg

Glowing only. Light is off.
img-2552.jpg

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying these glow massively bright... oh hell yes I am.

Photos taken with the light off after being on max for 20 seconds in a totally dark room.
img-2560.jpg

These two photos had the light and camera about 2 feet away. The reflection is the Firefly reflector. The light is off.
img-2563.jpg

img-2562.jpg

Camera was an iPhone 7.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector surface looks very special, like sand paper, or am I wrong? The 3rd picture in the very first posting in the sun makes me think like that.

At all the resulting beamshot is cool. MAybe I throw all my old white diffuse reflectors away... :crackup: ...and hoping for a green one! :bow:

--Edit--
The last of the special GITD diffuse reflectors are here.
That is sad, because, there is no red one, white one, pink one, .... so much colors that will never glow in a HDS light. :hahaha::hahaha:

Last edited:

JKolmo

Enlightened
Cool, a fur-coated reflector! The furcoat reflector it is. Well I need one. Any effect on CRI and/or color temp to speak of?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, a fur-coated reflector! The furcoat reflector it is. Well I need one. Any effect on CRI and/or color temp to speak of?

Green tends to lower CRI by .5 points. Color shift is minimal (you need a sphere to read it.)
The only negative on this, if it can be called a negative as it seems of little importance, is that outside the huge spot (it's all hot spot so it seems odd to call it all "spill", there is a green tinge. I didn't notice anything on the others, but this sucker is so... so... so... bright freakin' green I'm not surprised and I only see it when in the dark (well, where else does one use a flashlight unless they are a bit crazy... like many of us) and you look at the very edge. Wouldn't even call it "spill". Hard to describe.

For me, if I had to pick between the Firefly or the Double Beryl, I would have both. Damn hard decision. I'll get neither so I guess I'm safe. Maybe in 6 months we will do another run of them all and I will actually get to snag one and just get to play with one for a week.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
Do you have reflectors with an "imperfect" surface of the reflection area for low $$$? I'd be interested getting one. If I have time I'd try to create my own 100% white diffuse reflector. I would have everything paint, airbrush, ... But I will not do this on a full price reflector. It may also the case my idea will not work. Therefore the question.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo I ll send you mine beryl to use to see if you like it or not but I want it back🤔🤓
Also how would the firefly work when used for lighting indoors say whilst doing photography?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
Do you have reflectors with an "imperfect" surface of the reflection area for low $$$? I'd be interested getting one. If I have time I'd try to create my own 100% white diffuse reflector. I would have everything paint, airbrush, ... But I will not do this on a full price reflector. It may also the case my idea will not work. Therefore the question.

We do not. Our previous white diffuse reflectors were done by a vendor.

@Hogo I ll send you mine beryl to use to see if you like it or not but I want it back樂邏
Also how would the firefly work when used for lighting indoors say whilst doing photography?

I've gotten to play with the Double Beryl a lot, I just have not had the time to make myself one but thank you for the offer.