1988 Dodge b250 conversion van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeko0530

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I am looking for an inexpensive way to upgrade the headlights on a beater van I use for work. I was debating using the h4 vision x housings or the hella. I want to spend 100 max as that is around 20 percent the value of my van. Anyone know what size I should be looking at as well 4x6 or 5x7?

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
They are actually called 200mm sealed beams. I think the size is like 6x7 or something. H6054 is the size number.

Nothing wrong with the Hella E-codes. Amazon has them for $83 for the kit. Type (or copy/paste) B001G72VIK in the search bar on Amazon. Pair them with Osram Nightbreaker H4 bulbs

The least-expensive good option for your van is the GE Nighthawk sealed beams. Part number H6054NH. They are still sealed beams, but they are by far the best sealed beams, the only sealed beams worth buying. About $30-40 for the pair.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
haha1234's guess is incorrect; there is definitely something wrong with the Hella "E-codes": they are very inefficient (low intensity, short seeing distance) on low beam, and they are poorly focused so you have to choose either good low beam aim or good high beam aim, but can't have both at the same time. The Hella lamp to buy in this size is this one. It is much more efficient and better focused than the "E-codes", and it can be further upgraded (inexpensively at the moment) with these bulbs, which are both better and cheaper than the Nightbreakers.

If that's too much to spend on this beater van, then haha1234's second piece of advice is correct: put in these, a reasonably effective headlamp that would be preferable to cheap H4s.

Either way, spend more effort than you think is reasonable making sure the aim is correct. And be aware that the headlamp wiring on Dodge trucks and vans of that era is seriously marginal, under-feeding your headlamps, whatever type they are. That can be fixed, too.

(That size is officially 200 x 142mm, roughly 7.5" x 5.5", and H6054 is a sealed beam type number, not a size number. Despite the wacky "193 x 132" size indication, the linked Hella lamps are the correct size).

Last edited:

Reeko0530

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I think I am gonna go with these housings. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ES6N72/?tag=cpf0b6-20

And then buy a good set of bulbs. I called the company called "headlight revolution" and they kept saying to use led in the reflector housing. Would I benefit more from halogen or led? I would definitely angle these properly to avoid glare etc. Thanks again.

Reeko0530

Newly Enlightened
haha1234's guess is incorrect; there is definitely something wrong with the Hella "E-codes": they are very inefficient (low intensity, short seeing distance) on low beam, and they are poorly focused so you have to choose either good low beam aim or good high beam aim, but can't have both at the same time. The Hella lamp to buy in this size is this one. It is much more efficient and better focused than the "E-codes", and it can be further upgraded (inexpensively at the moment) with these bulbs, which are both better and cheaper than the Nightbreakers.

If that's too much to spend on this beater van, then haha1234's second piece of advice is correct: put in these, a reasonably effective headlamp that would be preferable to cheap H4s.

Either way, spend more effort than you think is reasonable making sure the aim is correct. And be aware that the headlamp wiring on Dodge trucks and vans of that era is seriously marginal, under-feeding your headlamps, whatever type they are. That can be fixed, too.

(That size is officially 200 x 142mm, roughly 7.5" x 5.5", and H6054 is a sealed beam type number, not a size number. Despite the wacky "193 x 132" size indication, the linked Hella lamps are the correct size).
I am gonna buy the Vision X VX-57 housing. Amazon has them for 58 dollars, and they are dot approved and well reviewed. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ES6N72/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Then I just have to decide which type of bulb to use. Should I go halogen or led in the reflector housing? Thanks

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I am gonna buy the Vision X VX-57 housing.

That's a big mistake. You asked for advice, and you got it, complete with options at various price points. The GE Night Hawks will put a lot more light on the road than those Vision-X things. But you're gonna go ignore all that because of good "reviews" on Amazon? Why even bother asking for expert advice if you're just going to ignore it? What's the point?

Halogen lamps, whether they're real ones or the toys you're planning to buy, MUST use halogen bulbs in order to work effectively, safely, and legally.

By the way: there's no such thing as a "DOT approved" headlamp. That phrase doesn't mean anything, and whoever's trying to sell you such a thing is lying to you and hoping you don't know the difference.

Last edited:

Reeko0530

Newly Enlightened
First, maybe you should click the link, you are a mod, you should know better before getting defensive. If you took a second and looked at what I posted, the vision x is the HOUSING instead of the Hella housing. It's a halogen housing. They were compared side by side and provide the same quality light pattern, cutoff and build quality at a lower cost. My question was following up on the ge nighthawk bulb vs a led to be used in said housing, which you did answer. Thanks. So I am now looking at pairing the vision x housings with ge nighthawk.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes, the Vision-X units are housings. No, they don't come anywhere close to providing the same photometric or safety performance as the Hella units, regardless of what kind of side-by-side comparison you think you saw; you're assuming and guessing. Which gets us back to the same question: if you already know it all, why bother asking experts you intend to ignore?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, maybe you should click the link, you are a mod, you should know better before getting defensive.
He's a mod, not just because he is level-headed and not prone to "getting defensive", but because he's a legitimate expert in automotive lighting.

If you took a second and looked at what I posted, the vision x is the HOUSING instead of the Hella housing.
Yes, he knows that because he can read. It still doesn't make the Vision-X a suitable choice.

They were compared side by side and provide the same quality light pattern, cutoff and build quality at a lower cost.
Side by side with WHAT?

My question was following up on the ge nighthawk bulb vs a led to be used in said housing, which you did answer.
Whether you got the lamps recommended to you, or this dubious "Vison-X" lamp, an 'LED bulb' in them would not be a safe or effective means of seeing, let alone legal, but at least you are making the right decision by selecting halogen bulbs. However, you're shooting yourself in the foot with those lamps in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.