Looking for a blood spotting light.

Javora

Enlightened
What the title says. Need something that can illuminate blood from about ten to fifteen feet away from the light. Probably more flood than a tight beam. Preferably AA powered with some waterproofing. Most of the time it's going to be setting in a desk until needed for investigation. I'd like to keep it in the $100 price range but prefer quality, so if there is something that costs more I'd be willing to listen. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to discourage you, but Hollywood are liars (as usual). There is no light in the world to spot blood. You need a chemical agent — Luminol applied first. THEN UV light may expose the result of Luminol reaction with blood hemoglobin.

When looking for a UV light pay attention that it is built on a Nichia emitter. I guess they are the best.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
First-Light USA do some lights with a green/red combo of leds that shows colors well plus blood and not sure what other liquids. It's called the MC, multi color. Not outrageously expensive, US made for police/military, and very good build as well as warranty.

Javora

Enlightened
First-Light USA do some lights with a green/red combo of leds that shows colors well plus blood and not sure what other liquids. It's called the MC, multi color. Not outrageously expensive, US made for police/military, and very good build as well as warranty.

Now that's an idea, I don't want anything that can upset a crime scene. But something that can spot blood better than the naked eye would be good. Thanks everyone.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
in blue light red color looks black, in theory you should be able to spot blood easier due to it standing out like pitch black spots. with higher contrast, thou it has to be fresh, they are supposed to be used by hunters for tracking game. but if you talking crime scene, better talk someone in the "industry", who has experience.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A old Incan Mag with a blue lens filter makes the red color of fresh blood pop out from the background very well, especially if you are running a 6 cell bulb (I use these in 2D Mags with a couple of 3 AA to D Series adapters to triple the Voltage). Blue filters on a white LED light or blue LEDs by themselves won't work; for LEDs you need a combination of either blue or green and a red LED to make fresh blood stand out.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google it, it's basics. Your attitude doesn't allow me to go further into the subject.

Of course, you may ignore me as a police officer employed in the Lithuanian Criminal Police Bureau. But a combination of a blue light and orange glasses is being used not in blood trace detection, but to make visible blue light fluorescent powder that is gently spread over finger prints. Finger prints contain fat, powder sticks to the fat, blue light activates powder, orange glass filters out blue reflection and you see powder glow only. Just for your info. Sure, you may forget all that I say and believe whatever you like.

Google is politically engaged "progressive" propaganda engine. It is full of lie and facts' distortion. Just in case you never knew that. A simple example: ask google "police statistics on gun defense" and watch the crap it responds — you get a ton of "scientific" bullshit, which is against the Second Amendment, but not a single link to actual government statistics.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to respond but couldn't have said it better myself... Blue light and the orange glasses also can illuminate urine and other things but normally require something else added to help the luminescence.
I ve had this combo of light and glasses but no use for my needs.
I have however found hunter green useful and the red/green light much better than just the green. And no orange glasses required 🤔[emoji16]

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to say at one point in my life I fell victim to the "blood light" phenomena and tried the orange glasses trick. They did nothing. At that time I didn't have a lot of money and spent a chunk on that crap. I also have one of the primos bloodhunter flashlights. If does nothing to help spot blood. I killed a deer in Kentucky about 8 years ago. Went back in the woods the next morning and couldn't tell any difference between using that light and a regular Incan. It did nothing (by my eyes) to make blood show up better.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fell victim to the "blood light" phenomena and tried the orange glasses trick. They did nothing. At that time I didn't have a lot of money and spent a chunk on that crap.

I did the same but now have the experience of knowing what actually DOES work and what shows "other" substances. A note to orange glasses: they work very well to block out most useful light but when something glows it REALLY glows! Wouldn't be walking around anywhere with them on though...
Just sayin.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have much experience with the LED blood lights, but I can say that a bright blue filtered incandescent light does work by providing contrast - everything but bright red or orange colors appears blue or black except for bright red or orange, but it is not magic - blood won't look like a flashing neon sign, you still need to be on top of it and look close and the blood needs to be fresh and still bright red. You can often do as well or better with a bright white light if you look close, back in the day hunters used to use Coleman lanterns for this when the 5-6 lumens of a typical 2D flashlight wouldn't cut it. Today a bright white LED can do the job of a coleman, though in some conditions the blue filtered incancent light might do better - it depends.

Mark Anthony

Newly Enlightened
I ran across a video where they tested a few color scenarios and blood tracking and he noted a big difference between LED and Incandescent bulbs with the same color filter. I thought it was an interesting point on the subject. FF to about 9:00. https://youtu.be/7ukbPrzdmNA

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1546807020.369976.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1546807033.737236.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1546807046.337405.jpg
The cat got me while I wasn't expecting it. Won't happen again!!!
Seized the opportunity to show the difference in these.

Javora

Enlightened
Thanks for that, what type of emitters were used for each picture?

Wildage&Elevation

Newly Enlightened
In the interest of 'tracking' or spotting blood. SpecOps folks have found pretty substantial success with tracking blood using the newer NVG's. Seems the blood shows as a deep black and tends to stand out from most surroundings. Sorry, but this alleged info is second hand, but I know the folks to be reliable. I'd say don't take it as gospel, but it's certainly worth checking it out.