All around headlamp

Chura

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I'm going over pages of information here, and I got lost :( because most of the threads are regarding very specific headlamps.
I have today Olight S15R which I love, BUT, I find lots of situation that I need my hands free
Work on roof, fix something in the car etc.

So I'm looking for something that will light from my head, not to bulky, not expensive, and rechargeable.
If it can work with both 14500/16500 and backup AA if required i'll be glad.

Thanks!

parametrek

Enlightened
Plugging in your requirements to my database finds 17 headlamps that can run on both AA and 14500. The only one with integrated charging is the $50 Rofis R2. The least expensive is the $30 Thrunite TH20. I'd go with the TH20. It is a solid headlamp.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use headlamps every morning and night in and around our horse barn. Over the past few years we've tried several different ones and keep going back to the Fenix HL55.

It has a simple UI, no flashing/strobe modes or colored LEDs, sips on 18650s, accepts CR123s, is extremely rugged, has a clicking tilt mechanism, a creamy neutral white LED with excellent color rendition, regulated output and it's IPX-8 rated.

Ours are constantly getting banged around and dropped on concrete, but never let us down.

The exceptions are it doesn't run on your cell choice and offers no external charge port.

But if you can get past that, it'd be worth a look.

Chura

Newly Enlightened
Plugging in your requirements to my database finds 17 headlamps that can run on both AA and 14500. The only one with integrated charging is the $50 Rofis R2. The least expensive is the $30 Thrunite TH20. I'd go with the TH20. It is a solid headlamp.

Thanks, Love that site, now I can see it :)
I'm going to the TH20

We use headlamps every morning and night in and around our horse barn. Over the past few years we've tried several different ones and keep going back to the Fenix HL55.

It has a simple UI, no flashing/strobe modes or colored LEDs, sips on 18650s, accepts CR123s, is extremely rugged, has a clicking tilt mechanism, a creamy neutral white LED with excellent color rendition, regulated output and it's IPX-8 rated.

Ours are constantly getting banged around and dropped on concrete, but never let us down.

The exceptions are it doesn't run on your cell choice and offers no external charge port.

Thanks! but seems like the TH20 is better deal for me considering price/performance

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
All around head light pretty much means 18650.
A zebralight 600F in your preferred color temp is going to be hard to beat.
- or a regular 600 with diffuser tape... the frosted lens of the F models really does reduce the throw, but it makes it So Much nicer as a work light, the F models really are a great compromise between the full flood (forget there's a light on your head, burn through batteries, can't see much past 60 feet even on high), and the regular model with 12 degree spot + fill (good range, not great for working at arms length).

Zebralight 600 models will give you months of utility lighting for night adjusted eyes, or an hour or so of something like a car headlight, or a week to a month of mixed use between high and low and in between.

Sorry it's not AA compatible.
I stayed away from 18650 for a while, but after going to them for daily use lights there was no going back.
I still keep AA lights for reserve.

Last edited:

Chura

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.
Not sure why, but I find it very difficult to get my hands on ZL flashlights.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
eh4 had an informative post above.

Boils down to color temp. "C"=4000k, "D"=5000k, both are high CRI. "W" is in the middle but not high CRI.

The "f" is floody and a good compromise between the traditional spot+ flood and pure flood. The pure flood ones are good for use mostly within arms length.

If you search for ZL beamshots there are good videos and pictures of some of the older models. They are still helpful to see some differences between the floody, flood and traditional beams.

Chura

Newly Enlightened
eh4 had an informative post above. Boils down to color temp. "C"=4000k, "D"=5000k, both are high CRI. "W" is in the middle but not high CRI. The "f" is floody and a good compromise between the traditional spot+ flood and pure flood. The pure flood ones are good for use mostly within arms length. If you search for ZL beamshots there are good videos and pictures of some of the older models. They are still helpful to see some differences between the floody, flood and traditional beams.
I don't really understand the models under ZL H600F (there are Fc/Fd/Fw), which one ?also, I can see that no 18650 battery included. How much is it for the battery ?

mickb

Enlightened

egads, sounds like the perfect light for me. Apologies to the OP for the hijack

mickb

Enlightened
something else worth mentioning, its easy to inadvertently turn on and can set things on fire according to the reviews. make sure its unscrewed not in use is the remedy i assume.

nimdabew

Enlightened
A zebralight 600F in your preferred color temp is going to be hard to beat.
- or a regular 600 with diffuser tape... the frosted lens of the F models really does reduce the throw, but it makes it So Much nicer as a work light, the F models really are a great compromise between the full flood (forget there's a light on your head, burn through batteries, can't see much past 60 feet even on high), and the regular model with 12 degree spot + fill (good range, not great for working at arms length).

OP I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this comment is very telling of my choice between a floody and regular spot light.

I am trying to decide between a floody and regular spot light for search and rescue. Is it really that good of a compromise for a floody in almost exclusively outdoor use? I have other headlamps for close in work (I have an older H53FW for when I am in my cockpit and it works great!) I just don't want to have to return or waste time with a floody light if a regular spot would be better for me as an exclusive outdoor light 99% of the time.

mickb

Enlightened
OP I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this comment is very telling of my choice between a floody and regular spot light.

I am trying to decide between a floody and regular spot light for search and rescue. Is it really that good of a compromise for a floody in almost exclusively outdoor use? I have other headlamps for close in work (I have an older H53FW for when I am in my cockpit and it works great!) I just don't want to have to return or waste time with a floody light if a regular spot would be better for me as an exclusive outdoor light 99% of the time.

search and rescue often depends on throw and more about your handheld lights, they have the reach. A headlamp can compliment with this with throw or flood for closer tasks. If you want a headlamp to take a more primary role, you would want to squeeze as much throw out of it as you can, especially for the 'search' part. A light that reaches 50 more yards is saving you walking that 50 yards everytime. Scanning your head around enables you to cover 100's more arc yards that a floody light cannot reach. I have never had much use for floods myself outdoors, and find good throwers are fine on lower settings for close work when I need it. Different tasks make difference preferences of course.

Last edited: