100,000 lumen headlight?

amwafa

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new to the forums.

I'm a surgeon in need of a strong headlight. Currently, I have a 60,000 lumen headlight (https://lumadent.com/products/headlight/prolux-essential.html), which is about 5 grams. There exists a 100,000 lumen headlight (https://www.designsforvision.com/SurgHtml/S-LEDCoa.htm), but it's 30 grams, which is too heavy for my glasses. Is there a way to replace the LED of the 5 gram model with an aftermarket LED that is more powerful or build one from scratch altogether? Ideally, it would be less than 10 grams.

Thank you.

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome! Just a quick note, from your links, those are measures of lux, not lumens. 100k lumens would be a little overwhelming for your surgical staff. ;)

parametrek

Enlightened
Officially the specs for HL360 are "Beam Size: 11.43cm (at 17" Working Distance)" and "Brightness: 60000 Lux." Lux depends on distance but if you assume 17 inches then the headlamp is 600 lumens and 11000 candela. That is some pretty impressive output for something so small. Using a more powerful LED will likely have issues with cooling.

Modding it would require finding someone in your area to take a look at it. There aren't random youtube teardown videos of $500 specialty lights.

Something similar could be made yourself but I don't think it would weigh any less.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, why does the weight need to be on your glasses? It looks from that second link like there is a headstrap available and that seems like a much better system to me.

As a parametric said, the limitation is going to be heat dissipation when the light engine itself is kept really small (low mass). Since these lights have remote battery packs, all the thermal mass that would be otherwise available to absorb heat and the surface area to help dissipate it are absent relative to most of the lights were used to discussing here. However, if the light were mounted on a headband, you should be able to hold a much heavier light quite securely without issue. I do a lot of trail running with lights many times heavier than were discussing with no issues and I'm doing a lot more bouncing than you are.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out lux-rc site, he builds tiny lights with high output. since you need it for surgery, lux reading is not that important for you, your working distance is no more than 4-5 feet. lux basically shows intensity in a spot.

Last edited: