Charger help needed

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
Can you help me find the best solution?

Scenario: backcountry hunting (tent, backpack) potential for 5 days away from electricity.

Needs: zebralight 18650 powered headlamp and cell phone using a hunting mapping/gps app. I am wanting a light weight compact charger that can be used as a power bank for the cell phone and charge the batteries if I get access to a vehicle during out hunt (usb powered I guess?)

I am not sure if I should just carry 10+ 18650's for phone charging (iphone) and light or if I should try messing with a solar panel? There might be some midday downtime at camp for solar charging but probably not much more than a few hours. If we're hunting in and out of trees does solar have a chance if attached to my pack? Worth the hassle or should I just bring more batteries and be done??

I have a liitokala 500 for charging my 18650 but I am thinking that is a little big for travel and if I decide to go the solar route I don't think it will work will it? I also think it is 12v or 120 ac but not usb powered.

I am looking at the liitokala 100 or 202. Thoughts??

I am new to rechargeables so I appreciate your thoughts.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an xtar vp4 plus Dragon and it comes with mains adapter AND car cigarette plug cable. 4 batteries AND usb out for charging phone.
Solar you can get cheap ones but I would spend more and get something with better capacity (you get what you pay for)

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
I have an xtar vp4 plus Dragon and it comes with mains adapter AND car cigarette plug cable. 4 batteries AND usb out for charging phone.
Solar you can get cheap ones but I would spend more and get something with better capacity (you get what you pay for)

Thanks for a quick reply. My liitokala 500 has the car cigarette 12v plug and a usb output too but I don't think either will work with a 5v power supply like a solar panel?

I'm also weighing the bulk/weight of a 4 bank charger vs a 1 or two and the ability to charge more batteries faster if I should be able to get to my vehicle during the hunt.

also???? Does a 2 bank charger charge two batteries faster than a 4 bank will charge 4 when connected to either car or wall????

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Maybe something like the Xtar power bank: https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar PB2 UK.html

It has a good shape to lug around, it is easy to replace batteries, it chargers fairly fast when powered (Not really, but as fast as USB allows).
It can also be used with solar panels, but I doubt you will get anything significant from a panel on your backpack.

I have analyzed some usb powered charger for how well they work with a solar panel (Unstable power): https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex USBIn UK.html
Very few works well.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my PB2 all the time in the truck. Mainly to charge my phone, but the beauty of it is the removable 18650 cells, so in a crunch you can pop a spare cell into your light. The PB2 will still function as a Powerbank on a single cell. It's usb in and out so I just plug it onto my main charger when I get home.
It is very solidly built and its shape is ideal for portable or pocket use.
The only con I've found is that it will cut off charging at low current draws, so my phone only ever gets a 90% charge from it. Not a big deal, just an annoyance.
You'll find most of this stuff in HKJ's excellent review.
P

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
Maybe something like the Xtar power bank: https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar PB2 UK.html

It has a good shape to lug around, it is easy to replace batteries, it chargers fairly fast when powered (Not really, but as fast as USB allows).
It can also be used with solar panels, but I doubt you will get anything significant from a panel on your backpack.

I have analyzed some usb powered charger for how well they work with a solar panel (Unstable power): https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex USBIn UK.html
Very few works well.

I use my PB2 all the time in the truck. Mainly to charge my phone, but the beauty of it is the removable 18650 cells, so in a crunch you can pop a spare cell into your light. The PB2 will still function as a Powerbank on a single cell. It's usb in and out so I just plug it onto my main charger when I get home.
It is very solidly built and its shape is ideal for portable or pocket use.
The only con I've found is that it will cut off charging at low current draws, so my phone only ever gets a 90% charge from it. Not a big deal, just an annoyance.
You'll find most of this stuff in HKJ's excellent review.
P

This looks perfect except I read that it won't use protected cells. Is that true? Why woukd they make it like that?

I have been using protected cells since I was concerned about the safety of unprotected.

i have the NCR18650PF batteries and now I am confused as I just measured them at 65mm which according to one of those reviews is the size of flat top unprotected cells??? Will they work?

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henrik can reply with much more authority than I. But I will say that I only use unprotected and i'm still here.
I will give you my favourite quote "The protection is ther to protect the cell against you rather than the other way round".
There is so much discussion on these threads on this subject that you would do well to read if you have any questions.
P

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only time to worry about unprotected cells is when you get the cheap too good to be true ones. Unprotected are actually more stable than the protected ones. Henry at HDS has explained this but also battery university.
Stay away from eBay and get from an authorized vendor like creme d vape, various vaper e cigarette dealers, or flashlight dealers.
Also know what you are charging at and in general the slower the charging ie .5-1amp vs 2-3 the batteries will have longer life. They do not charge as fast therefore don't get hot.
I m currently running aw unprotected down to 0% according to my Dragon then I m charging up to 98%
No problems

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened

Very few works well.

Henrik can reply with much more authority than I. But I will say that I only use unprotected and i'm still here.
I will give you my favourite quote "The protection is ther to protect the cell against you rather than the other way round".
There is so much discussion on these threads on this subject that you would do well to read if you have any questions.
P

The only time to worry about unprotected cells is when you get the cheap too good to be true ones. Unprotected are actually more stable than the protected ones. Henry at HDS has explained this but also battery university.
Stay away from eBay and get from an authorized vendor like creme d vape, various vaper e cigarette dealers, or flashlight dealers.
Also know what you are charging at and in general the slower the charging ie .5-1amp vs 2-3 the batteries will have longer life. They do not charge as fast therefore don't get hot.
I m currently running aw unprotected down to 0% according to my Dragon then I m charging up to 98%
No problems

So Rookie mistake! I have been using NCR 18650PF batteries that I bought from IMR which as I just looked them up are actually unprotected cells!!! I was going back and forth between so many different batteries and retailers that I must have missed that. Oops. So I guess they don't blow up. 😉

I think I'll grab one of those xtar pb2's. That will give me a more protected case powerbank and give me the option to use solar if I decide to go that route.

Thank you all! Any other tips on my situation and/or how not to kill myself with unprotected cells?😂

HKJ

Flashaholic
Any other tips on my situation and/or how not to kill myself with unprotected cells?

Never put a unprotected cell in a pocket together with keys and/or coins.
Get a good box for your cells, it could be the Vapcell one I show in many battery reviews, but there are other. The requirement is that the batteries stays in the box and nothing can damage/short them. The cheap plastic battery boxes may be fine on a shelf, but usual not in a pocket.

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
Never put a unprotected cell in a pocket together with keys and/or coins.
Get a good box for your cells, it could be the Vapcell one I show in many battery reviews, but there are other. The requirement is that the batteries stays in the box and nothing can damage/short them. The cheap plastic battery boxes may be fine on a shelf, but usual not in a pocket.

I bought some of those silicone sleeves for them. I assume that will do the trick?

HKJ

Flashaholic
...there is a little of the wrap in the middle of the battery exposed. That's OK right?

That would not be a problem, the danger point is around the positive end.
This is for unprotected cell, with protected cells there might be a connection down the side of the cell behind the wrap.

mdmountainman

Newly Enlightened
A sincere thanks to all who helped me in this thread. Xtar pb2 on order.

I'll have to order some new batts before too long to suit these needs. I am looking at getting some higher capacity 3400mah 18650's. Is there any issue using one of the 2900's I have with a 3400 in the xtar pb2? Or do both batteries need to be the same capacity?

Harpua

Newly Enlightened
I'm patiently waiting for the xtar x2 and xtar x4 review from hjk. Both chargers look interesting and has my vp2 order on hold. Nice purchase, I was looking at those pb2s myself.