Nitecore P12GT still best small thrower?

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I did a lot of research a couple years ago and ended up buying the P12GT for myself. I'm actually looking to get a good thrower for my wife now. Has the game changed much? I'm looking for a 18650 thrower, no larger than the Nitecore, up to $100.

Thanks for any guidance!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't the P12GT the one that so many people had rear button delays with? That made it a non-starter for me. I hadn't heard that that's been fixed

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is for 1" flashlights. The newer version with 1,800 lumens doesn't throw as far. The Zebralight SC 600 HI is good too.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P30 is a good single 18650 all around thrower, IMHO. At turbo and high, there is a distinct center beam that really reaches out. And the spill on those modes is enough to enable one to see the immediate area well, without being so bright as to wash out details at the far end. Medium mode is a good mid-range illumination, and the low mode is ideal for doing things like walking from the car to the house with enough light that one can see more than just their center path. Mine is my second-level EDC. My main EDC is the EA11 with a 14500 cell, but when I know I might need for light than that, my P30 goes on my belt.

The MSRP is ~$65, but during Black Friday and right after I saw it offered for as little as $35. If you can find one at that price still, it would be worth it to get one just to try it out. Then if you don't like it, it can always be given to a father-in-law or brother-in-law for good karma points.:D

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone with one want to comment on the button delay issues that plagued this light (and the forum) for a while? Are they resolved, or you don't mind them?

Since the delay ruled out this light for me, I ended up with an Eagletac (which the cool kids all call Eagtac now, apparently). Here's one that's slightly smaller in diameter than the p12GT, similar candlepower rating, absolutely no switch delay. It does have other characteristics that some people won't like -- rear button activation always comes up on high, you have to hit the mode button and rear button at hte same time to start on low) but the UI works fantastic for me. http://eagtac.com/html/px30lc2r/specs.html

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
Another to consider - the Lumintop GT mini. I really like the ramping and programming and this thing definitely has beastly throw!

Cheers,
Tim

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone with one want to comment on the button delay issues that plagued this light (and the forum) for a while? Are they resolved, or you don't mind them?

Since the delay ruled out this light for me, I ended up with an Eagletac (which the cool kids all call Eagtac now, apparently). Here's one that's slightly smaller in diameter than the p12GT, similar candlepower rating, absolutely no switch delay. It does have other characteristics that some people won't like -- rear button activation always comes up on high, you have to hit the mode button and rear button at hte same time to start on low) but the UI works fantastic for me. http://eagtac.com/html/px30lc2r/specs.html

Which button is delayed ?
Tail or side ?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tail. If I remember right, a lot of people got lights with delays ... some lights had larger delays than others, and also some users were more sensitive to picking up delays than others. But in the end, I think consensus was they all had at least small delays, that were a biproduct of the design, whether all users noticed it or not.

edit: just ot make sure I'm not going crazy, I did a quick google. Here's a video I found, but in all, not difficult to find all the discussion of switch delays on this light https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO4B_gJiopw

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer your question Joe, yes my P12GT has a delay or 'soft start' when turning on. My Nitecore P30 does not. I could tap out morse code with the P30 but not with my P12GT

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
Hello,
Thank you for supporting our brand, the P12GT is a great flashlight. We now have the P12GTS which has a 247 yard throw and 1800 lumens. Please us know if you have any questions about it and we will glad to answer them.

Thanks,

NITECORE Store

Enderman

Enlightened
Yeah the P12GT still has the most throw for a 1" light.
There is also the MH12GT though which is the same thing but with built in USB charging and no crenellated bezel