EDC-able, CR123, High CRI, Neutral White, decent distance

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
As per title.

I recently got a Fenix E16 (which has the neutral white). This reminded me how much I love CR123 lights, but more importantly how much I love 4000-5000k colour temperatures.

I dug out my Lumintop Tool Ti High CRI, and the BLF-348, and instantly was at home with the High CRI aspect of it all.

What I really dislike about the Fenix E16 is the switch is quite easily pressed whilst in the pocket, for me at least. I know there is an electronic lockout function but that just makes the thing constantly flash all the time. And using the pocket clip to cover the switch is kind of crap, doesn't work.

This has now lead onto me wanting a new light, but very specific criteria;

- Has to be pocketable/EDC-able
- I want a CR123/16340 to allow for higher modes than an AAA light
- I want to stay in colour temperatures of between 4000k – 5000k. Ideally 5000k is at the extreme cool end, I much prefer 4000-4500k, but can live with 5000k, no cooler.
- I want High CRI, absolutely no less than 90 and ideally 92 if possible.
- Obviously it's an EDC light so mainly an area style of light, but if possible if it has some throw then a great bonus

Is there such a light out there that fits this criteria?

------------------------------

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter). I live in UK, so preferably something I can get my hands on in the EU (for now).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet. It's not unlimited, I'm thinking £100ish? But I will pay more if the light is right.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer: Either of the following

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use? Either if it fits my criteria

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option: either of the following

____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply): Not too fussy out of the following options

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply. I want at least 3 modes, perhaps 4 (ultra low if possible, low, med, high)

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? The following are all very important.

____Pocket/belt clip
____High CRI
____Colour temperature between 4000-5000K

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the obvious choices would be the Zebralight SC32w or SC32c and the Olight S1 or S1 mini in whichever flavor of tint you think you prefer.

I EDC ZL mostly for the multiple choices and programability to get the outputs where I want them and the fact that the clip is screwed on but the Olight are great also and I would be OK with them if I didn't know of the ZL!

You can also get the Olights in various crazy exotic finishes and materials if that is your thing.
Lastly the Olight also offers magnetic charging in some models but I prefer quick battery replacement for an EDC as when the battery dies I am usually already using the light and can not wait for the recharge.

You can also spend a lot more money and not really get a lot more light than either of these I feel.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Have you checked out the Eagtac D25C or D25A? The later is Nick Shabazz's favorite EDC.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Look on illumn.com for the malkoff mdc nichia cr123. I love mine and I think it may tick all your boxes.
P

As much as I love that light, it won't truly be an EDC for me. In some trousers that I wear it's a little too much on the bulky side (but I still want that light - perhaps not for the EDC that I am looking for though).

I think the obvious choices would be the Zebralight SC32w or SC32c and the Olight S1 or S1 mini in whichever flavor of tint you think you prefer.

I EDC ZL mostly for the multiple choices and programability to get the outputs where I want them and the fact that the clip is screwed on but the Olight are great also and I would be OK with them if I didn't know of the ZL!

You can also get the Olights in various crazy exotic finishes and materials if that is your thing.
Lastly the Olight also offers magnetic charging in some models but I prefer quick battery replacement for an EDC as when the battery dies I am usually already using the light and can not wait for the recharge.

You can also spend a lot more money and not really get a lot more light than either of these I feel.

I like ZL, had a few of them in the past. My issue(s) with them is the electronics can be a little temperamental (from my experience - is why I got rid of all of my ZL lights). And I hate the tint lottery with ZL.

Have you checked out the Eagtac D25C or D25A? The later is Nick Shabazz's favorite EDC.

I don't want an AA light. I have the Eagletac D25C Ti Nichia, it's a High CRI light, and very pocketable, and I love everything about it EXCEPT that it's a 5700k light.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I love that light, it won't truly be an EDC for me. In some trousers that I wear it's a little too much on the bulky side (but I still want that light - perhaps not for the EDC that I am looking for though
So you're looking for something about the size of a 47s Mini?
Just sizewise, nothing else.
P

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
So you're looking for something about the size of a 47s Mini?
Just sizewise, nothing else.
P

Not necessarily. My EagleTac D25C Ti is pocketable but it's not as chunky (head diameter) as the Malkoff MDC CR123.

I would love the 47s Mini size but I figured it's not going to throw anywhere near what I have in my criteria.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had no issues at all with the ZL that I own nor do I experience a tint lottery among the HiCri ZL which are the only ones that I order now.

I also really didn't understand your list of wants to include throw the way it shows to me so that changes things somewhat too?
Nothing was checked i the list?
So can I presume these are all features that you need?

None of the tiny lights will throw all that much with the shallow tiny heads that they have but especially the TIR optics lights that I have seem to be more flood based than standard reflector lights to me too.

The D25 series are also great lights for me but I still prefer the ZL overall for the mode choices that they offer.
I do love my ETs too though!

As much as I love that light, it won't truly be an EDC for me. In some trousers that I wear it's a little too much on the bulky side (but I still want that light - perhaps not for the EDC that I am looking for though).

I like ZL, had a few of them in the past. My issue(s) with them is the electronics can be a little temperamental (from my experience - is why I got rid of all of my ZL lights). And I hate the tint lottery with ZL.

I don't want an AA light. I have the Eagletac D25C Ti Nichia, it's a High CRI light, and very pocketable, and I love everything about it EXCEPT that it's a 5700k light.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I have had no issues at all with the ZL that I own nor do I experience a tint lottery among the HiCri ZL which are the only ones that I order now.

I have had green tints on nearly all of the ZL lights I bought. I know that other people have had tint issues on another light forum. I really do love ZL lights, but I know I can't rely on them to have proper consistency.

I also really didn't understand your list of wants to include throw the way it shows to me so that changes things somewhat too?
Nothing was checked i the list?
So can I presume these are all features that you need?

Sorry I didn't check the points I wanted, I just deleted the points I didn't want and left what I did want. So yes, all those features please :)

None of the tiny lights will throw all that much with the shallow tiny heads that they have but especially the TIR optics lights that I have seem to be more flood based than standard reflector lights to me too.

That's what I'm thinking also.

The D25 series are also great lights for me but I still prefer the ZL overall for the mode choices that they offer.
I do love my ETs too though!

Again I agree with you in regards to the mode choices that ZL offer, but until I can be absolutely 101% certain that I KNOW I will get a good one, I just don't want to buy one - especially as they're not exactly cheap lights.

I'm thinking the latest D25C Clicky (non Ti version) with their Nichia 219C 4000K CRI92 offering might be my best, for now?

Last edited: