How many lumens are 194 and DE3175?

passive101

Enlightened
I'm looking at replacing the dome light and map lights in my 2004 Honda Civic. I want to make sure they will be brighter then regular bulbs.

If you have a recommendation for a good bright alternative that is the proper size please post it. I'm always open to ideas and I don't know what to get yet.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, the good 194 replacement is from Osram, and it comes in yellow amber, white and red. 194 only produces 25 lumens and all three colors of the linked Osram replacement are much brighter, I think at least 50 (on the road right now, don't have access to the data). There's an enormous number of DE3175 replacements on the market. The safest bet would probably be this Philips.

passive101

Enlightened
I see there are a lot of options that offer more linens on Amazon. Any good ones you'd recommend? I'd like to double the light output and have white light.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Oops the map lights are 168 not 194

Same fit. The stock 194 bulb is 2 lumens; the stock 168 is three, and the LEDs I linked are all more than that.

I see there are a lot of options that offer more linens on Amazon. Any good ones you'd recommend?

You already asked for recommendations. You already got them. If you're going to go chase off after the random garbage everyone wants to try to sell you, why bother asking the question in the first place?

passive101

Enlightened
I'm just wondering if some of it is decent or if they will have problems. I see a lot that are brighter or have the LEDs faced towards where the light needs to go instead of round ones. Thanks for your recommendations.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The 2886X is still an excellent option. It puts out 85 lumens. But it's not an LED.

passive101

Enlightened
I would like to have 85+ lumens if that's possible. With a regular halogen it might produce to much heat for the plastic it's in though. That's why I'm looking for an LED option, but I like the way you think

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks virgil for the confirmation. To the op i too was concerned about the heat especially since the two forward dome/map lights; basically the bulbs hold the reflector in place and the lens is a mere 1/2 inch from the lamp, however so far so good with the 2886x's in place. Might be a good time to check them though if you don't hear back from me in short order then i'm still good lol. I don't know if your dead set on led's but i really appreciate these lights the warm white color is easy on tired eyes if you have to pull over on a long trip and do as one does late at night. When i read about these lights in an old post on here there was also a suggestion for a warm white festoon light i never got because the 2886x's lit my interior so well i felt i didn't need it, however your results may vary
Edit: i would like yo add that i am a mere amateur here and would take any advice given from the resident experts, that being said its my understanding that anytime you convert energy from one state to another it creates heat.
Halogen and hids tend to radiate this heat whereas leds have to shed it by mechanical means heat sinks and whatnot?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
With an "LED bulb" you're going to have heat coming off it, just less because the wattage is usually less. Usually dome lights, map lights, and that kind of thing aren't used for long enough to worry about heat...unless you accidentally leave them on overnight or something like that, then you might get some heat damage. But a 2886X is 6 watts and a 168 or W5W is 5 watts, usually not a big enough difference to create a heat issue.