The EMISAR D4S - It has only one flaw, as I see it...

wweiss

Enlightened
Today, after three weeks outbound from China, the EMISAR D4S arrived here in SW CT. It is the 26650 powered model with quad 219c Nichia LED's.
I have to say it seems to violate the Weber–Fechner Law (how humans perceive physical magnitudes). It is as bright or as dim as you need for maximum utility here in the densely wooded - semi-rural, geography of SW CT. As a woods or dog walker, it has no peer.

This light, although not a logical EDC, is in all other meaningful ways, a completely useful flashlight. From the smooth ramping-up or down that produces more than satisfying very high LUX to a very usable low Lumens coupled with the faux tritium 'always-on' led option, this light satisfies on every functional level. It has a tail-cap magnet that can pick up an outboard from a deep lake. It feels great in the hand and is smaller than the TC20. The CRI is beautiful. EMISAR seem to have addressed the heating well - this one is not a soldering iron in your hand. The side switch is one of the best I've seen and works easily and smoothly. It takes about 10 min. to get used to the UI and then you think to yourself, "...nice, very nice". My Hedonic search for the best light is over. Except...

It has one flaw, as I see it.

As art, it's not attractive to look at.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree I love the way it looks

5ea546e6f2173c0aa6af42a9f9638f1f.jpg

I just cant find a decent way to carry it

Last edited:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emisar is no edc, its too fragile but it is one hell of a light, this and the rot66 are both in samsung 351 hcri are absolute CRI monsters.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fragile? I've dropped my D4 at least 8 times form hip high to the pavement. Only recently, 1 of the 4 emitters sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I don't believe any other of my lights would fair any better. I drop it so much because it's always on me.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the switch and UI is one of the best I've used. Very similar to MR Bulk lights, if anyone remembers that UI from wayyy back in the day

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can name a couple flaws with it:

too big for jeans pocket edc, but can get outclassed by beefier jacket-pocket lights like ROT66
lanyard hole had sharp edges, not very ergonomic
tint on the 219C model was ugly green
only 3 7135 chips means low regulated modes (only up to like 4-500 lumens)

Now I do have a 3000k SST20 one coming in the mail with amber aux leds. I love the SST20 high cri models, so I'm thinking these will be beautiful. The SST20 are tiny emitters too, so they will throw quite a bit with the D4S's large optics.

I'm gonna try to file down the edges of the lanyard hole in a controlled fashion to hopefully make it more comfortable.

It's still gonna be too big for jeans pocket carry, and not as mighty as the ROT66, but it is definitely way lighter than the ROT66, which will make for a more pleasant carry.

The low mode on the aux leds is my favorite part of the D4S. I can't wait to see the faint incandescent like glow of the amber leds.

markr6

Flashaholic
lanyard hole had sharp edges, not very ergonomic
tint on the 219C model was ugly green

The lanyard hole has been quite useful for cutting open packages (joking, kind of). And yes the Nichia 219C is crazy green. Approaching Olight-green. It took me a while to realize this. Total let down.

cclight

Newly Enlightened
I can name a couple flaws with it:

too big for jeans pocket edc, but can get outclassed by beefier jacket-pocket lights like ROT66

I EDC it in the jeans pocket without any problem. In fact, I can have 2 in my jeans pocket, and they fit better than a single one(!). I can also put a D4 in the same pocket for good measure :) The rot66 is in another class, significantly bigger, multi-cell.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you wear jeans with massive cargo pockets, or jeans that are too big and loose and not form fitting, but I know I wouldn't put one in my pockets, it would bulge too much, and make actions like sitting down uncomfortable.

My jeans-pocket EDC is the SC600 MK3 HI (which a lot of people find too big for jeans pocket EDC as well), and I would agree that it's on the upper limit of being EDCable. Now if we were talking cargo pockets, I think the D4S fits this niche nicely, where I would deem the ROT66 too heavy.

Here is a pic of the three side by side. The ROT66 is multi-cell, but it is not significantly bigger than the D4S. I'd say the SC600, D4S, and ROT66 are all about proportionate size differences.

DSC-0129.jpg

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can not be serious here?

You think the one on the right is not too much bigger than the D4S ?

Maybe you wear jeans with massive cargo pockets, or jeans that are too big and loose and not form fitting, but I know I wouldn't put one in my pockets, it would bulge too much, and make actions like sitting down uncomfortable.

My jeans-pocket EDC is the SC600 MK3 HI (which a lot of people find too big for jeans pocket EDC as well), and I would agree that it's on the upper limit of being EDCable. Now if we were talking cargo pockets, I think the D4S fits this niche nicely, where I would deem the ROT66 too heavy.

Here is a pic of the three side by side. The ROT66 is multi-cell, but it is not significantly bigger than the D4S. I'd say the SC600, D4S, and ROT66 are all about proportionate size differences.

DSC-0129.jpg

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
For its intended use as a jocket pocket carry-- yes, it's not much bigger than the D4S. I was surprised by how large the D4S and how small the ROT66 is. If I were to put a light in a cargo pocket, I'd go with the D4S. The ROT66 with its stainless steel bezel and tailcap plus 3 18650s is a brick of a light, whereas the D4S can feel hollow by comparison, making it a light carry in pants.

markr6

Flashaholic
I like the feeling of picking up the SC600 lights after using the D4S for a while. Feels like a keychain light!

wweiss

Enlightened
For me, the D4S is so good (the output, nichia CRI and infinite ramping...) that I take it along as a secondary or primary - and always find room for it.

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I think it's pretty handsome actually. For me, the only additional feature I would appreciate is built-in charging. Since not everyone wants that, maybe they could offer a special tailcap to support it. I just gave my green D4S XP-L Hi 4000K away to a friend as present and promptly ordered another to replace it! I think this might be the first time I've bought the same light twice.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its serves as a nightlight with the aux lights, great for hitting the john at night without turning on all the lights

wweiss

Enlightened
Sad news - an update.....

Today I sent my D4S to the bottom of my old CT well as a flood for a video camera survey. I wanted to see if there were artifacts from the 18th century. There were none.

But, 20' deep and down there for 10 minutes in the cold water on turbo, I idid get some very well lit video. What I didn't expect was to see water sloshing around behind the D4S lens... Multiple leaks at the nacelle, body and tail cap. I dumped it out, wiped everything and used a hair dryer to heat and expunge any residual - and all seems well.

Turns out, the threads on my unit were cut very course and rough, with many sharp spalls and jags that had shredded the gaskets after just a few chargings, rendering them useless.

Check your threads and note that although I exceeded the specs as to depth, this should have held for 10 minutes, I think.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found this new SST20 3000k 95cri model to have a way better beam and tint than the 219C 5000k model I had! Too bad SST20s don't come in 95 cri at 5000k.

Love this little beast of a light.

Ordered my green D4S from Intl-Outdoor on January 31. Showed up today. Love the easy programming (after reading a few tutorials). Love the tint of the XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K. May not be high CRI, but I love the tint, both inside and out. I have ZERO chargers or batteries at the house except the battery that came with the light. :fail: Have been goofing off with them at the office. An evening playing with this light and the LiitoKala 26650 I ordered with it is still at 3.6 volts. Have some Shocklis at work to try, but similar mAh to the LiitoKala. Overall could not be happier.

AS ORDERED
1 x Emisar D4S 26650 High Power LED Flashlight (EMISAR D4S) = $74.89
Add extra tailcap without magnet No (by default)
Aux LED Cyan (by default)
Magnet in the tailcap Yes
Color Green (smooth surface)
Led & Tint Neutral White - XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K
Battery 1 * LiitoKala 5000mAh 26650 cell