Night Breaker Laser HID

Ls400

Enlightened
After scouring the forums, I note that the Philips Xtreme Vision HID bulbs are usually the top recommendation, with the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited a close second. I note that the Philips Xtreme Vision D2S is a "+150" type bulb, and the Night Breaker Unlimited D2S is a "+70" bulb.

I haven't seen any discussion regarding the Night Breaker Laser HIDs, however. Night Breaker Laser halogen bulbs, yes, but no discussion about the similarly branded HIDs. The NB Laser D2S claims to be a "+200" type bulb. What's the deal with the new NB Laser D2S bulbs? Are they the new king of the hill?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: OSRAM Night Breaker Laser Xenarc HID

Practically there's likely very little performance difference between the two. Over the years I've had better results (dependability/durability) from the Philips HIDs versus the Osrams. Looks like you can shave a few bucks off either the Osram or the Philips.

Phatty McPatty

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Virgil. Either type is ~$130/pair at PowerBulbs, but you linked Amazon. I thought Amazon was sketchy (counterfeits) and PowerBulbs was the default recommended vendor around here. Has that changed?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't think there's a default vendor so much as there are vendors to avoid. Counterfeit product is out there, and very few vendors are 100% resistant, but I think the serial number codes being applied by Philips (maybe also Osram) probably cut down on the problem.

jzchen

Enlightened
Shipped from and sold by Amazon is safe. Marketplace items fulfilled by Amazon also get it's excellent customer service, meaning if you find the quality sketchy it's easy to return it. Mr. Bezos didn't reach richest man in the world status without providing good service to customers....

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shipped from and sold by Amazon is safe. Marketplace items fulfilled by Amazon also get it's excellent customer service, meaning if you find the quality sketchy it's easy to return it. Mr. Bezos didn't reach richest man in the world status without providing good service to customers....

Even fulfilled by Amazon has often (Not Always) provided counterfeit goods.
Good customer service also means verified sourcing with known (documented traceable) product pedigree.
The average consumer would not know if its real or counterfeited and they shouldn't have too be concerned, Amazon should be 100% sure of what they are selling.

Last edited by a moderator:

jzchen

Enlightened
Yes, I bought a cheap Navigation SD Card update, did a little digging into it on a computer, realized it was most likely a pirated copy, and painlessly took it to the local Kohl's, for return, absolutely free. Hence my note about good customer service....

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
No, Amazon is not a sure thing - or more to the point, not all of their vendors are sure things. Not long ago, I wanted factory headlights for a 93 Ford Ranger, but they are out of print. Virgil recommended by part number some Depo lights that are the closest thing one can find today. I ordered from Amazon. Passenger side was fulfilled by Amazon and was as expected, good light. Driver side was fulfilled by "Overdrive brands," and despite being advertisted and purchased as a specific Depo part number, and having a similar appearance, it was a piece of crap from "Eagle Eyes." Mounting was barely possible, left the light at an odd angle to the grill, beam pattern was a bad joke, and the mounting screws lacked the 4mm hex ends necessary to adjust the lights. Attempting to contact Overdrive Brands was futile. I ordered a left side Depo light elsewhere; can't have a kid running around with unsafe lights.

So look hard at who actually fulfills the orders. Amazon is often just a broker.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon will refund your money regarding the Eagle Eyes. It just takes longer....

That's not the point, shouldn't have to deal with these issues at all, if only Amazon would take the trouble to authenticate their vendors and require that they certify their products as genuine with some financial consequences.
Ever since Amazon allowed Chinese sellers on their site a few years ago, things got even worse.
eBay is just as bad, even worse than Amazon actually.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
XeRay, you make a good point. I guess somehow police-ing their marketplace is for some reason a low priority. I wonder how much they charge these vendors.

I just wanted to point out that there is protection for customers. That Ships from and Sold by Amazon are legitimate products as far as my experience has been. That Amazon does provide protection even if fulfilled by another company. So the previous poster is aware he has some recourse. (I never received one product from a vendor and it took two months, but I did get a full refund).

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon will refund your money regarding the Eagle Eyes. It just takes longer....
Which only really works if the person receiving the Eagle Eyes junk knows that it is junk and goes to the trouble. They might just Google "Eagle Eyes", promptly ignore posts on this forum describing them as junk, cherry-pick the [Car brand forums] for positive reviews and think all is OK. I imagine someone, somewhere, has posted that "it took a little modification to get them to fit but it was worth it" or similar nonsense.

That's not the point, shouldn't have to deal with these issues at all, if only Amazon would take the trouble to authenticate their vendors and certify their products as genuine with some financial consequences.
And miss out on some profit?

eBay is just as bad
It definitely can be.

Ls400

Enlightened
Well I ordered the NB Lasers and installed them today. First time installing HID capsules. Is there a best way to orient the return wire? I have side entry HID projectors. I ended up kind of shoving the bulb in them at a random angle because things were tight in the engine compartment and my patience was running out.

430driver

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered the NB Lasers and installed them today. First time installing HID capsules. Is there a best way to orient the return wire? I have side entry HID projectors. I ended up kind of shoving the bulb in them at a random angle because things were tight in the engine compartment and my patience was running out.

How do you like the NB Lasers? Noticeable differences vs stock?

I am trying to decide between NB Lasers and Philips Extreme Vision Gen 2. This is for my LS430.

Ls400

Enlightened
I like them, and I like to think they are an improvement over stock, but I really can't say. I replaced both the stock bulbs and reaimed the lamps as previously my low beams were about as useful as an extra set of fog lamps. That's how ridiculously low they were aimed.

Last edited: