2 14500 Cells In AA Maglite?

Pspboy17

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago I did the mod that has you drill out the reflector in a mini Mag, and you can use the bulb out of a 2D light instead. While this did about double the brightness, I was thinking about using two lithium cells and a 6D bulb, since they would give 8.4v at a fresh charge, below the limit of the 9v bulb. I'm very new to this, and I thought it would be a bit of fun, but I know lithium batteries are dangerous. Assuming I use protected cells, so I need to worry about anything? I'm really not trying to create a small explosive device, so if I'm doing anything stupid please let me know.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Beyond issues with lens, reflector, socket melting, and even if you use protected cells, you need/want to always have an idea of the state of charge of the cells, generally assessed by experience with the brightness output and your current runtime. Very important when running multiple cell setups is that the cells are matched in resting voltage and wear. Once you put a couple new cells together, you want to keep them together and charge and use them always together, swapping positions after each use to maintain even wear. I wanted to try this also with Maglite Mini, IMR14500 and FM1794, mostly as a gag to replace someone else's incan MiniMag with an identical looking one, and observe from a safe distance, but realized as cool as it would be for maybe the reaction and a couple minutes thereafter, I can't just throw away that kind of money for a single use destined for every component to be completely ruined. Your idea sounds like it might work a little longer.

konifans

Enlightened
The reflector, lens and bi pin socket will melt. I know this because I did it before...

night.hoodie

Enlightened
The reflector, lens and bi pin socket will melt. I know this because I did it before...

Incan AA MiniMag (and Soli) has got to be among the most favorite hosts of all time, so it is all the more maddening that, though once rare but available, it is now extremely difficult to replace these three simple components with those of the required materials, a ceramic or brass socket, an aluminum reflector and glass lens. I know there used to be a kit available, or some custom pieces made by a CPF member once. Just wish there still was.

Minimoog

Enlightened
I wonder if Tad may be able to help? I will message him. I know that the glass lens is still available but the other parts are elusive.

Pspboy17

Newly Enlightened
Well, it seems unlikely then. Thanks for the info, it's unfortunate that everything melts. Why does this socket melt, when it uses a similar design to the bi-pin adapter used for the higher voltage lights?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 - 1.5V N cells and a 3 cell xenon bulb might work(?), will run hotter than a 2 cell but a lot cooler than a 6 cell bulb.

scout24

Flashaholic
Seems like there may be something of a market for the requisite parts, looks like a cool mod. Super simple twisty, no switch, I'll have to follow along!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It seems the Kroll switch now famous as a Peli 2320 fix began as a minimagmod.

There used to be a slew of stuff but that was then. Perhaps there are some parts still at the Sandwich Shoppe.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Just fwiw I did a lot of testing around this setup. I ended up with a 2D bipin with a lifepo4 aa (14500? Whatever). It's the whitest brightest I could manage reliably without heat issues. My 3 cell with 14500 imr caused some heat distortions over time.

The other consideration is the larger bulb ends up pushing on the lens to turn the switch off. So if it's too hot it dents your lens once you turn it off.

2D bipin with the lifepo will never be nearly as bright as the minimag pro on nimh, and it will only run maybe a half hour or a bit more, but it's very white light and mine throws probably 50-75' which is good for what it is. Bulb has lasted dozens of lights at this point. Easily double the brightness of a new xenon mini mag bulb with lithium primaries IME.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
MiniMug006.jpg~original

Long time ago another member Aurora made a G2 socket, aluminum reflector and glass lens for Mini M*g using pair of 14450 cells, Carley 1499 bulb and Krol tail switch.
Then I made turbo head for Mini M*g.
Combination of both were excellent at the time but unfortunately, both are out of production and very hard to find.
There are much better choices now for even higher output incandescent flashlight in similar size.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Yeah led is of course the best option. But for a mod or for Incan the options provided are okay

apete2

Newly Enlightened
The MiniMag Pro is a good light but mine also has a super blue beam and can't compete with incan for certain tasks.