Cibie Sadness, Auxiliary Low Letdown

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Some time ago, I ran down a set of new old stock Cibie series 95 Booster Beams (came in a GMC accessory box from the early 1980's). I found that, installed on my old Crown Vic (it still has its police push bars and there's a handy 1" angle iron crosspiece that will support lights), I really liked them. Once aimed just right, they were useful in light fog and they improved the range of the "Z-beam pattern" low beam produced by the Starr HID headlights (now 8 years old and due for replacement, but that's another story).

Lately, I noticed the booster beams weren't performing. A close look revealed that much of the silvering on the reflectors was gone. I had this happen before, on the 5-3/4" H4 lights I was running on a '58 Cadillac, but not on the 5-3/4" H1 highs on the same car. I save nearly everything, so looked: The backs of the H4's that lost all of their silvering (I suppose it's vapor sprayed aluminum) were quite brown and marked Valeo, made in Belgium. The H1's that survived fine, along with another H4 which has good silvering after such long use with overwatt bulbs that its glass has cracked, were more greenish on the back side, marked made in France. I started to formulate a theory, then looked at my latest failed lights: both quite brown and marked made in France. These were all used on cars that were not garaged. I guess you just sometimes get good ones and sometimes bad.

In addition to an unused set of yellow series 95I fogs, I had on the shelf an extra set of yellow fog lense & reflector units. The other night, I just swapped the extra fog reflectors into the series 95 housings on the car, and put the sad booster beams on the shelf. But I ha e far more use for auxiliary lows than for fogs.

in my frustration, I started rooting through my stock. Years ago, I bought a set of 5-3/4" lamps (Dietz IIRC) because their housings were what I needed for the tight clearance involved in mounting 5-3/4" H1 high beams above the bumper on a Saab 900. I recalled the sealed beam bulbs had been advertised as some sort of aux low, the ad copy going on about "two reflectors in one" somehow concentrating the light in the lower part of the beam (or some such nonsense). Turns out they are marked Philips 7701 on the back, and Westinghouse is molded into the glass on the front. There is a definite horizontal line in the reflector, only very subtle vertical fluting in the lens. But shown on a wall, the beam is pretty much like a landing light, only weaker (memory says these are 50 watt) and a bit wider than the 11 degree spread of a 4537. Meh. Tried to look for online sealed beam catalogs so I could read the bulb specs, only to get hits on "vintage 7701 sealed beam bulbs." Makes a guy feel old...

Searching online, I found an Oregon based outfit called partpal.com that offered Hella XL aux lows. I've ordered and am eager to try them.

I still have the new set of Sylvania Xenarc X1010 aux lows I found on eBay, all perfect but no instructions included), but have not decided whether they belong on a car or on my bike.

Is there any outfit that renews the plating on lamp reflectors?

If one really liked the booster beams, and had a good set of 95 or 95I fog lens/reflectors, would it be feasible to heat both sets in an oven until the glue let go, then install the booster beam lenses on the good reflectors from the fogs?

BTW, H2 bulb holder are not my favorite thing. Scarce items, and they are "consumables."

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
http://reflektorklinik.de/ will redo those Booster Beam reflectors for you (and if you dig around on the site, you'll find they can even do yellow!). It wouldn't be worth sending them standard-size/shape H4-H1 headlamps because you can still get those new.

The 50w 7701 and 100w 7711 sealed beams were auxiliary low beams, producing pretty much only a hot spot, shifted to the right and down vs. straight ahead, to extend the range of a car's low beams. They were dreamed up in the '70s as a less expensive way of doing more or less what the '69-'70 Dodge/Sylvania "Super-Lite" did: provide a "mid beam" or "turnpike beam" with more seeing distance than low beam but less glare than high beam. That split-focus reflector on them was pretty revolutionary, as sealed beam reflectors go; the patents are here and here. General Electric put out a midbeam unit of their own, a halogen sealed beam number Q4631. No stepped reflector, but it did have a halogen burner unlike the Westinghouse item, and it did pretty much the same thing: a low beam hot spot.

I found an Oregon based outfit called partpal.com

No such domain, and no Google hits. Got a link?

The X1010s can be improved by swapping in a better bulb, BTW.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Oops, my mistake! http://www.partdeal.com/
Don't know why I misremembered.

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. That patent info is interesting. I guess it was more than just advertising hype. Also, the mention of using one with three conventional (PAR46 I presume) headlights to achieve three beams takes me back. 😀

Took me a moment to find the English button at the reflector clinic site. It's great to know someone does this work.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. That patent info is interesting. I guess it was more than just advertising hype. Also, the mention of using one with three conventional (PAR46 I presume) headlights to achieve three beams takes me back. 😀

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that didn't catch on. Yesterday's adaptive headlights and today's ADB (tomorrow's, in the USA, maybe, subject to terms and conditions) are obviously better, but that midbeam was a good way of addressing the issue with the technological constraints that existed at that time.

Took me a moment to find the English button at the reflector clinic site.

Oh, y'mean that half-British, half-American flag up at the top of the page? Come now! It's not that hard to understand what's going on even if you don't speak German: what else could "Deine reflektoren kaputt? Geschmutziert und ausgerustig mit rost? Wir machen ëm alles gescheinen und sparklenglitteren nochmal! Genau jetzt ist der Zeit auf Sprockets, wenn wir tanzen!" mean? ;-)

(I don't actually speak German, either)

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come now! It's not that hard to understand what's going on even if you don't speak German: what else could "Deine reflektoren kaputt? Geschmutziert und ausgerustig mit rost? Wir machen ëm alles gescheinen und sparklenglitteren nochmal!
"Wir sind kompetent!" "Komplettservice!" That whole site shows just how Germanic English is.

Genau jetzt ist der Zeit auf Sprockets, wenn wir tanzen!" mean? ;-)
Today we bring you Germany's most disgusting home videos!