Go To Four Slot Charger for 2019

TheWalkman

Newly Enlightened
As a reformed flashaholic, I've been away for a while and am curious to know what the consensus is for the best all around 4 slot charger these days.

My MaHa C9000 died several years ago and I replaced it with a NiteCore I4: a bit too simple. I bought a Itar V4: ok but I didn't really care for the analog dials. For the past year or more, I've been using an Opus 3100 but it started flaking out yesterday after I tried charging 4 18650s @ 1000ma.

I've looked at the SkyRc 3000 but that seems like a bit - ok WAY - over the top and more than I can justify spending on a battery charger.

I'm beginning to feel like the story book character looking for the elusive charger that is, "just right!"

What's the go to charger these days?

Has anyone tried the NiteCore USM4?

I'd like four slots, NiMh, LiIon chemistries, some ability to test cell condition, etc. renew/ conditio is a plus. I'd also like a charger whose charging algorithm minimizes damage as it charges. (Yes, I've perused the lygte-info site. Fantastic reviews bit almost overwhelming in the number of choices.)

i defer to the brain trust for what the go to charger is for 2019.

Thanks, in advance, for comments and recommendations.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon is over your budget. I've been using mine (I actually have two) for about 9 months, and it does everything I want it to do. It has a nice bright display, too.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm still diggin' the Nitecore D4 that stays cool, displays the things taking place, holds up to (2) C sized batteries and easily switches to LifePo.

Only catch is it doesn't do 70mm cells if you use those.

The i4 ran too hot for my tastes and having to match cells in certain slots and not any I chose kinda freaked me out too.

Nev

Banned
I don't know if the Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon is over your budget. I've been using mine (I actually have two) for about 9 months, and it does everything I want it to do. It has a nice bright display, too.
P

I heard that the dragon can fry itself if left on overnight.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have sky rc3000 and my first thought was "man this thing is way above my needs". It turns out it's not. Once you get used to it (fast) then you won't even think about other options. It can be adjusted in smallest decimal and to be confirmed by calibration. Amazing stuff.
I also have Nitecore SC4 but that one will go to ebay soon i think. Too bugy once you meet 3000.

ven

Flashaholic
Been looking at that sc4, i am looking for another . The c4-12 is awesome!! Does everything i could ask, 3a per bay, low rates, no setting manual if suits(does me). But and its a big BUT, the springs are weak, had a couple break(easy enough fix but besides the point and a little frustrating).
qgPdOVel.jpg

Opus bt c3100 v2.2 still going strong, but gets a lot less use since the c4-12 came on the scene. Dragon is tempting, but 0.5a the lowest setting(no good for my smaller cells). Sky RC is also tempting, but again seems to be made of chocolate inside like the c4-12.............

So for me, c4-12/dragon and skyRC are all pretty close calls. Sky RC the more trick out of them, c4-12 is super easy and picks rate off IR(seems good with all my cells anyway). Dragon looks solid and a nice chunk of charger.................

Think i will see what 19 brings for now

fmc1

Enlightened
If you bought a Maha C9000 back in the day like I did you probably paid adjusted for inflation close to what an MC3000 costs now and it only charged half the chemistries that you need.

To me the versatility of the MC3000 is second to none because everything is adjustable. If you want to be gentile on a battery it's no problem, just raise the termination current and or lower the target voltage. If you want to try and squeeze the most possible capacity out of a battery do the opposite. The charge current range is anything between .05A and 3A in .01A increments. So if you have a 6000mAh 26650 or an 80mAh 10180 you can charge them both at the correct current and at the same time if you like. It's very versatile for cycling batteries as well. You can choose C>D D>C C>D>C or D>C>D and count from 1-99. Although cycling LiIon or LSD NiMh batteries is a waste of time in my opinion. IMHO the only legitimate complaint about the MC3000 is the week spring posts which was fixed in the second generation hardware that came out June of 2016, 2 and a half years ago. The third generation hardware with the two fans and raised positive contacts came out about a year ago. I still have an Opus BT-C3400 that I travel with because of it's size but everything else I gave away or threw away after using the MC3000s. I have 3 of them and if one died tonight I would order another in the morning.

Frank

ven

Flashaholic
If you bought a Maha C9000 back in the day like I did you probably paid adjusted for inflation close to what an MC3000 costs now and it only charged half the chemistries that you need.

To me the versatility of the MC3000 is second to none because everything is adjustable. If you want to be gentile on a battery it's no problem, just raise the termination current and or lower the target voltage. If you want to try and squeeze the most possible capacity out of a battery do the opposite. The charge current range is anything between .05A and 3A in .01A increments. So if you have a 6000mAh 26650 or an 80mAh 10180 you can charge them both at the correct current and at the same time if you like. It's very versatile for cycling batteries as well. You can choose C>D D>C C>D>C or D>C>D and count from 1-99. Although cycling LiIon or LSD NiMh batteries is a waste of time in my opinion. IMHO the only legitimate complaint about the MC3000 is the week spring posts which was fixed in the second generation hardware that came out June of 2016, 2 and a half years ago. The third generation hardware with the two fans and raised positive contacts came out about a year ago. I still have an Opus BT-C3400 that I travel with because of it's size but everything else I gave away or threw away after using the MC3000s. I have 3 of them and if one died tonight I would order another in the morning.

Frank

Thats good to know Frank, thanks for info. Is there anyway of knowing which gen your going to get. Any serial number etc, or best place to order. Basically how do I get a 3rd gen and not old stock with the little gremlins.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven give it a look at nkon.nl
That's where mine came from, dual fan, new springs, latest gen always in their store.

@peter: i read about those chargers on facebook but i never was that interested since it's not mc3000 related

fmc1

Enlightened
Ven give it a look at nkon.nl
That's where mine came from, dual fan, new springs, latest gen always in their store.

@peter: i read about those chargers on facebook but i never was that interested since it's not mc3000 related

+1
they are the go to guys if you are in Europe
Happy new year

Frank

TheWalkman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback so far.

All the new charger recommendations are good but each seem to be missing one little thing or another.

I feel myself slipping off the wagon and pulling the trigger on the SkyRC.

And I thought I was over this little flashlight problem. I'm feeling the uncontrollable need for lots of bells and whistles. I guess once a flashaholic always one. Dang!

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that the dragon can fry itself if left on overnight.

I have seen only 1 report of this, over at BLF:

Your supposed to remove batteries after charging . I forgot and left it on all night ( and part of the day ) . Must have over heated and fried internals. Didn't smell too good. Lights flash and do weird stuff , but it doesn't charge anymore. Sooo don't leave unattended. I knew better. I might get into it sometime and see what happened. Or not. Oh yeah , batteries were fine , so the cut off seemed to work well .

Torchmee

Newly Enlightened
IMO the MC3000 stands above all others for the reasons mentioned above plus the fact the firmware is easily upgraded for new chemistry's etc. Being able to interface with computer software or control it with Bluetooth phone apps are just icing on the cake. Yes it's as expensive as 2 Opus chargers but worth it in the long run as it's probably the last charger I will have to buy. The latest versions have corrected the earlier hardware issues.

Depending on the user mode chosen charging can be as easy as a one button push or as as advanced as you wish to make it. As much as I hate old sayings, "you get what you pay for" really is true when it comes to this charger!

Nev

Banned
I have seen only 1 report of this, over at BLF:

Yes that's where I saw it , the op wanted a good replacement charger because his dragon fried because it was left on overnight ( not charging battery's but just left on ).

Last edited: