Flashlight help

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a flashlight ..short description of what is needed
Im uk based and torch will be used as a self defence aid for my wife as our laws dont allow us to carry much for self defence
Must be ulltra bright..im thinking around 1500 to maybe 1800 lumens
Must stay on brightest setting for say at least 10 mins
Must have strobe feature for the self defence aid..and must be able to go into strobe as easy as possible as torch will be used by my wife
Cost isnt a big issue..im thinking of spending upto around £100.. but would spend mkre for the ideal light
Upto yet 2 lights ive looked at are the nitecore mh12gts and the klarus xt12gt
All help would be appreciated

Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
The two you've looked at are very different in my view, what is it about them that's right for you? The intensity of the Klarus is vastly superior. The head size of the Klarus is way larger than the Nitecore and not likely easily pocketed. I would submit if you want "bright" you should probably look at the intensity rather than the output. Eagletac makes some goodlooking smaller lights that are reasonably intense.

I would also suggest the strobe mode is pointless for any type of defence, when compared to simply shining a constant beam on someone before making an escape. There is a misconception this feature will somehow save people in desperate situations, I've yet to hear of any evidence that someone was saved by a strobe when a constant beam wouldn't have worked equally well (not to be confused with strobe being used offensively by appropriately trained and armed people). I personally would look for a light that always comes on in high.

Just my opinion... :)

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for the reply...dont know to much really about either..just seen tat they are super bright and had a strobe function...but im all ears on help in this matter as my wife really needed a super bright torch as has a short...only 10 mins walk to her new job from her bus stop but its a quiet road thats narrow and not in the best area...and very very dark..and im more than a little worried

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be concerned that the strobe effect would disorient your wife as well as any would be assailant. I'm certainly no self defense guru, but I agree that a bright, constant-on feature is probably best. I'd suggest the E2 Super or the E2 Super Throw from Malkoff devices. The head of the light is near your stated budget, but it will become more expensive when you choose a battery tube.

It is a very simple light that only does one thing. If she's nervous, all she has to do is mash the switch and she'll get a very bright light. No chance it will come on in low mode. It's virtually unbreakable, but comes with a rock solid warranty. It's also quite pocket/purse friendly and has an excellent clip.

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
So im now looking at light without a strobe...so just need a mega brìght torch for the wife....were getting there folks

matt4350

Enlightened
I'll certainly add +1 on Modernflame's recommendation. I use both Malkoff and Elzetta as my work lights, they are specifically designed to be reliable in critical situations and I can make them come on in high, all the time. They're more costly than most but the workmanship (and reputation) inspires confidence in the tool.

That said, have a quick look at Eagletac's T25L-R if you want to stay mainstream. There's even a model that belts out 40000cd and they're not particularly large, if you keep the head tight it will always come on in high, and you've got an option for lower modes (just make sure the missus re-tightens the head when she switches it off if she's been using low). It does actually have a strobe, but just steer of it I would recommend. I don't have one (yet) but I have other Eagletac lights and not had a problem.

Please keep us informed how the search is going, I'll be interested to see what you ultimately get.

Cheers :)

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
I'll certainly add +1 on Modernflame's recommendation. I use both Malkoff and Elzetta as my work lights, they are specifically designed to be reliable in critical situations and I can make them come on in high, all the time. They're more costly than most but the workmanship (and reputation) inspires confidence in the tool.

That said, have a quick look at Eagletac's T25L-R if you want to stay mainstream. There's even a model that belts out 40000cd and they're not particularly large, if you keep the head tight it will always come on in high, and you've got an option for lower modes (just make sure the missus re-tightens the head when she switches it off if she's been using low). It does actually have a strobe, but just steer of it I would recommend. I don't have one (yet) but I have other Eagletac lights and not had a problem.

Please keep us informed how the search is going, I'll be interested to see what you ultimately get.

Cheers :)
Thanks for that...had a look at the malkoff lights...but hard to get her in the uk...finding a few lights that are recommended here arnt a easy pick up in the uk...like ive said...price isnt a problem...but after reading a few posts...looks like the way to go is a light with a extreme high output...but still having lower settings for everyday use...but quick access to the high or turbo seems to be the way to go to put mine and my wifes wories asides a bit

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
Just had a quick look at the elzetta 3 cell charlie..i see this is 900 lumens..now not knowing a great deal about lights ect..is this bright enough for that...blind a assailant to get away....or do i need more power/different light...also..would i go with a high low cap or the high strobe cap as a option....again thanks for the help folk...

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I wouldn't make too much fuss about the lumen count. A light producing 1500 lumens won't be meaningfully brighter than one with, say, 1000 lumens. Elzetta products are specifically designed for the role you've described in your original post. I'd say the Charlie is a fine choice. It is a bit large, though. This could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how she carries it. If she's got a large purse, no problem. However, it could be cumbersome if she wants to have it on her person. It also accepts CR123 lithium primary cells only, which is a potential issue depending on availability in your area.

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I wouldn't make too much fuss about the lumen count. A light producing 1500 lumens won't be meaningfully brighter than one with, say, 1000 lumens. Elzetta products are specifically designed for the role you've described in your original post. I'd say the Charlie is a fine choice. It is a bit large, though. This could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how she carries it. If she's got a large purse, no problem. However, it could be cumbersome if she wants to have it on her person. It also accepts CR123 lithium primary cells only, which is a potential issue depending on availability in your area.
Im thinking that the extra size and weight of the 3 cell may be advantageous..my wifw carries a largish bag so size shouldnt be a problem,batteries i would order 20 at a time so no problem there...juat gotta decide if i go with the high lo or the hi strode rear switch...and also i see there are 2 lens...so which would be better for us..want irt a bright as possiblebut also light up the dark road she will be on.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the Elzetta, you'll definitely want the standard lens. The "flood" lens is really more for close range work indoors. Not terribly useful outside. My preference would also be for the high /low tail cap, as I think most people don't benefit from strobe modes. There may be legitimate applications for law enforcement, but that requires special training. It's more likely to surprise or confuse the ordinary user than to help.

Not to make things more confusing, but I thought you might also have a look at the Surefire Fury DFT (Dual Fuel Technology). Using an 18650 rechargeable cell, it can reach 1500 lumens. It does not have a low beam or a strobe mode. Compared to the Elzetta Charlie, the Surefire will look brighter, less so because of the output, but more because of the beam profile. The Surefire will focus more light into the center "hot spot," which will heighten the sense of overwhelming brightness. On the other hand, the Elzetta will have a wider beam, which will illuminate her periphery and increase situational awareness. The Elzetta will have slightly better color rendition as well. Surefire products are generally well built, although the Elzetta will have a superior build quality. My choice would be the Elzetta, but the Surefire is certainly part of the discussion.

Edit: The Surefire is very picky about batteries. You have to use Surefire branded cells. Something else to consider.

Last edited:

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
If you get the Elzetta, you'll definitely want the standard lens. The "flood" lens is really more for close range work indoors. Not terribly useful outside. My preference would also be for the high /low tail cap, as I think most people don't benefit from strobe modes. There may be legitimate applications for law enforcement, but that requires special training. It's more likely to surprise or confuse the ordinary user than to help.

Not to make things more confusing, but I thought you might also have a look at the Surefire Fury DFT (Dual Fuel Technology). Using an 18650 rechargeable cell, it can reach 1500 lumens. It does not have a low beam or a strobe mode. Compared to the Elzetta Charlie, the Surefire will look brighter, less so because of the output, but more because of the beam profile. The Surefire will focus more light into the center "hot spot," which will heighten the sense of overwhelming brightness. On the other hand, the Elzetta will have a wider beam, which will illuminate her periphery and increase situational awareness. The Elzetta will have slightly better color rendition as well. Surefire products are generally well built, although the Elzetta will have a superior build quality. My choice would be the Elzetta, but the Surefire is certainly part of the discussion.

Edit: The Surefire is very picky about batteries. You have to use Surefire branded cells. Something else to consider.
Will go take a look

matt4350

Enlightened
I have an Elzetta Charlie, I like the beam profile for the reason Modernflame has already stated - it's brilliant for situational awareness. It has quite enough output to dazzle someone coming out of the dark, and solid as a brick. As said, you would want the standard lens and hi/lo tailcap.

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
I have an Elzetta Charlie, I like the beam profile for the reason Modernflame has already stated - it's brilliant for situational awareness. It has quite enough output to dazzle someone coming out of the dark, and solid as a brick. As said, you would want the standard lens and hi/lo tailcap.
Cheers..looks like weve sorted this...really appreciate all the help guys...wife says thanks also

matt4350

Enlightened
Great stuff. My opinion is that you've decided on a light that fits the bill perfectly. I'd be interested if you'd throw up one more post when you get it up and running, just to tell us what you think of the choice.

Cheers!

daz4311

Newly Enlightened
Great stuff. My opinion is that you've decided on a light that fits the bill perfectly. I'd be interested if you'd throw up one more post when you get it up and running, just to tell us what you think of the choice.

Cheers!
Will deffo do this guys...cheers