Single cell keychain light

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Hey

I'm looking for recommendations for a keychain light for my mum. Few things I'm looking for

- single cell powered
- single brightness mode (dual if simple change)
- simple UI (she won't use it if it's too complex
- reliable

My dad will take care of the battery situation, charging etc. He already has AAA, AA eneloops and 18650 cells.

Sos24

Enlightened
The Fenix E05 is a good basic AAA light. It has multiple levels, but is just a twist on-off. If you twist on-off-on fast then it goes through the different brightness levels, otherwise it is just appears on/off. Maratc AAA is also similar.

There are also 10180 lights that work the same way that are smaller and rechargeable. Examples: Fenix UC02, DQG Hobi Plus, Maratac Peanut.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore Tube is an ideal keychain light. It has two immediate modes - comes on in Low, and another immediate click switches it to High. If after turning it on one holds down the button, the UI ramps the brightness up to whatever one wants between those. USB rechargeable. I find that if one uses a small o-ring to connect the Tube to the keychain, then the Tube can be easily held parallel to the key, which makes it easy to one-handedly unlock a door. And at $9.99, the price is right too.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the Maglite Solitaire LED. It is reliable, has a good runtime/output ratio, a very simple to use single mode output and a great size for use for those that may not be as dexterous.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E05 is a good basic AAA light. It has multiple levels, but is just a twist on-off. If you twist on-off-on fast then it goes through the different brightness levels, otherwise it is just appears on/off. Maratc AAA is also similar.

There are also 10180 lights that work the same way that are smaller and rechargeable. Examples: Fenix UC02, DQG Hobi Plus, Maratac Peanut.

All of the 10810 lights that I have seen do not work the same way as the E05?

They work by twisting the head tight until you get to the Low mode and then if you keep tightening they reach the High mode.
This might be more simple but my Mother still can not comprehend it whatsoever.

I agree a simple single mode like the Mag Solitaire seems ideal to me.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Mag now makes the incandescent like spectrum series solitaire. It is one of my favorite lights even with several high end custom lights in my collection. The LED and beam pattern are just awesome if you prefer incandescent in my opinion.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
To clarify, Maglite solitaire LED has a line of lights that produce a warmer tint like an incandescent, but it is still LED.

Mr.Penny

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore Tube is an ideal keychain light.

I don't recommend the Nitecore Tube, they're not very reliable. I had two Nitecore Tube's fail on me, the battery died on my first one, and the other over heated the LED after long use.

mickb

Enlightened
Fenix e01, 13 lumens one level, simple twist on and off and runs forever, or many hours anyway. Its all I need for keychain level. it will allow you to walk at normal speed in the dark, negotiate obstacles, illuminate rooms to find things and last a year for intermittent car related tasks. The Eo5 is an upgrade with 85 lumens but not worth the battery drain in my opinion. As an example I went walking yesterday to get in shape after christmas. I started out planning to walk a few miles but was feeling good and put in 10 miles on impulse along some backroads. About 3 hours walking, very dark, we also get snakes across the road here. I was only carrying my keys and i knew the E01 would have plenty in the tank.