Rayovac Sportsman Incan Mod

apete2

Newly Enlightened
I have a Rayovac Sportsman 7D that I don't use all that much, it seems like it should have a great throw with the huge lens but my mag mods with a 3853 out throw it.
I have tried running it with 7D alkalines and a Mag 6 cell bulb and it burns out the bulb in a few hours, I only have 6 D NIMH cells and run the light like that but it is kind of underwhelming.

There are two ideas I am thinking of:

1) Steal the reflector/lens from a 1MCP spotlight and see if it fits, run an H3 bulb or install a bipin socket. If it fits, I will need to install a better switch for the H3.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CYZCU0/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I will need to measure the resistance of the host for a high current bulb like this.

2) Sealed beam, PAR36 bulb. There were talks about this from other members in the past but I don't know if it went anywhere.

How much headroom is there for overdrive in PAR bulbs? If i use the following, would it run OK or poof on 7.2 volts? The 100 hour life brings back flashbacks to poofing 5761s.
https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/platinum-4515-30w-6-4v-par36-spotlamp-light-bulb

I realize the light is an antique and these mods may not be reversable but I want to make it a wow light for throw that my mags cant match.

3) Get one more D nIMH cell and run the 3853H, but I dont know of sources for high-temp lens, reflector, or bulb holder.

apete2

Newly Enlightened
Well it looks like we are going to try #1. Sorry for the photo quality, I didnt have my DSLR with me at this time.

I removed the existing lens and reflector. The current setup is the battery contacts the PR bulb and the switch contacts the reflector.

i-cWfjVwH-L.jpg

The donor is a 4V 15W H3 bulb, reflector, and lens from an old Gander Mountain spotlight. We are going to run this with 4 D Cells. I used electrical tape to tape the wire onto the top cell for testing, this will be more permanent if this works.

i-cPZjWSc-L.jpg

We need a jumper wire from the switch to the - terminal on the H3 bulb, as this reflector is different and the brass from the switch can't reach it.

i-Cwq2P84-L.jpg

The lens and reflector are about 1/16" too large to fit in the bezel so we are going to tape it to the outside of the bezel. I will either grind down the bezel or make a screw-on bezel similar to a pipe clamp to hold it on.

i-zVD9vmx-L.jpg

Test beamshots from the backyard. This is around 4x the brightness of stock with great throw and spill. Ceiling bounce tests put it at roughly a ROP low. After running for 10 minutes, both the tailcap and switch were getting warm, so this light will definately need resistance mods.

i-hCcLs7S-X2.jpg

i-chxhXPw-X2.jpg

Next step would be 6x NIMH and a 35W or 55W H3 bulb, mounting the bezel permanently, and using thicker jumper wires. I will also need to mod the switch and tailcap, or at least start with Deoxit. I dont know if anyone has ever modded one of these for high current yet.