du Pont "Kapton" recommendations

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My RX300-driving buddy ignored my recommendation to not use Hella XY bulbs in his fog lamps, but thought he'd give them a try anyway. The pair surely has less than 15 hours on them; they were mostly used as "pull into the driveway/garage" lighting, as their low, wide beam of light would help him spot their auxiliary cat. Despite this limited use, one has already burned out.

Because he wants yellow fog lamps, and he'd rather not paint the lenses, Kapton tape seems to be the solution.

Previously, the Addicore Kapton sheets have been recommended, but those (and all the other Addicore-branded sheets) are "Currently unavailable". A seemingly close match, Gizmo Dorks Kapton Sheets exists, but I'm not sure the yellow is right or the thickness differences could cause problems.

The Addicore item is described as .06 mm (2.4mil) polyimide film with .04 mm release liner; the Gizmo Dorks item has a 1mil thick Kapton layer (if their specs are really right). Will this result in less saturation, or is the color even the right one, given the appearance difference in the photos?

The larger sheets may be preferable to tape, as the tape width would need to be such that one width of it would cover most any factory fog lamp without having to try overlapping or applying like wallpaper such that the seams are perfectly lined up. Also, the rolls have many, many feet of the stuff-- kindof a waste, let alone the price-per-job. I have my eye on using it on my LS430's fog lamps (after I practice on his RX300), so I'd like to have a little left over and maybe keep some extra on hand in case I need to redo them (road grit damage and the like).

Yahiko

Newly Enlightened
3D printers use some really wide tape.
The sheet I have right here in my hands is.3mil thick 7"X10" Item number SHX-KT710-5B
I happened to pick this one up at the place where I get the supplies for my printer at Fry's Electronics.
Having now gone to a glass bed I am not using it anymore other than for the odd project.
It is made by Shaxon Industries at >>> ce.shaxon.com

I know that Fry's does online and I would think that Shaxon also does.