HDS SYSTEMS:mounting holes yes/no?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lot of talk about mounting holes in our lights so can we make it official and comment here on that subject? Might help HOGO/HENRY to make a decision

Like or don't like. Give reasons on your decision if you can. Thanks.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean in the head of the light, at the emitter shelf? Like the older style? I thought it was already said by the folks in charge that those were no longer an option.

scout24

Flashaholic
If it facilitates a more elegant, functional clip carry option for those who want it, (present company included) then I'm all for it. I have an older Ra/HDS that's been "screwed" and the asthetic doesn't bother me at all. I like the current black basic under-the-tailcap clip on my Clickies, it's unobtrusive and works well.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holes have pretty much been off the table since HDS did away with them years ago. Henry and I did discuss it as recently as yesterday. They won't be coming back. It's a bit like a friend trying to convince you to get back together with your ex-wife... when all he saw was her public personality and didn't have to live with the *****. Henry is still very soured by the myriad of complaints that came into HDS when the clip holes were in the light. It made quite an impression on him.

Clip wise, the Rotary is problematic. No matter where it is attached, it's in the way of the Rotary dial functioning nicely. If it's on the bezel, it rubs on the tail... if on the tail, it rubs on the head... and either way, it makes it harder to manipulate the dial.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
A more elegant bezel-down clip option for the rotary would be welcome, the lack of a clip on the rotary has consistently prevented me from buying one as I have no interest in the clicky model.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Holes have pretty much been off the table since HDS did away with them years ago. Henry and I did discuss it as recently as yesterday. They won't be coming back. It's a bit like a friend trying to convince you to get back together with your ex-wife... when all he saw was her public personality and didn't have to live with the *****. Henry is still very soured by the myriad of complaints that came into HDS when the clip holes were in the light. It made quite an impression on him.

Clip wise, the Rotary is problematic. No matter where it is attached, it's in the way of the Rotary dial functioning nicely. If it's on the bezel, it rubs on the tail... if on the tail, it rubs on the head... and either way, it makes it harder to manipulate the dial.

WELL! That settles that then.im sure you guys will think of a different method of installing a clip. Thanks HOGO.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why clip? I remembered about the suspenders. Also for the weapon there are quite good clips like suspenders. If you attach such a clip or similar to the base of the ring of the universal clip, it will work perfectly and it will be short!

ulticlip-versions_galloway-precision_3902.jpg

Fixing screws under the bottom hook. It's perfect!! :bow::bow::bow:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
What I'd like to know is how the military personnel felt about the clip holes and MOLLE clips that were issued with them. Clearly those clips were meant to be used with the packs and straps on gear for military and LEO. And HDS has long maintained that those guys, not us CPF nerds, are really the target market, though he does listen to us. Did they use the MOLLE clips and holes or were they perhaps the ones complaining? Maybe they just put the lights in gear pouches or something and didn't like the clips? If they were buying hundreds of lights this would make a lot more sense to me than a dozen whiners on the internet fussing over their light having some unsightly holes in it.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ex Navy flight deck and ex security... the can't get em any more clips (older ones that mount via holes in the head) in stainless or titanium would have worked great for flight deck gear....and could be used on the MOLLE platforms too but not sure how secure they'd be on the Molle.
There could be another option however that doesn't involve putting holes in the light or screws and could serve as a detachable anti roll device as well as a bezel up or down option though on the hip bezel down wouldn't look right plus it could be forced out of grip but those of us who need to shed a few pounds but you could also change the position of the mount or base platform to allow for horizontal carry🤔

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attaching the light to MOLLE with the old clip is a great way to lose the light in the field.
Most LEOs use a holster on the belt... the type of holster depends on the department and the officer. Some departments/agencies like Border Patrol require a flap over it... at least they used to. I don't know if that has changed. Some departments/agencies are much less finicky while others are an Orwellian dream.

Most of the military contracts did not care about a clip or a holster... it was up to the poor slob who was issued the light to not lose government property and how he did or didn't do that was up to him... although a contract that fell through a couple years ago included 600 holsters.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a bit like a friend trying to convince you to get back together with your ex-wife... when all he saw was her public personality and didn't have to live with the *****.

Forget her and her parasitic vampire bites into the necks of our flashlights. Some things weren't meant to be.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
A more elegant bezel-down clip option for the rotary would be welcome

Until then, I like this controversial NMHR option (No Mounting Holes Required):
completely reversible
does not require any manufacturing design changes to the HDS...
pic is a link to instructions
First things first -- Henry at HDS recommends against this. In fact he says you shouldn't do it.
this is very much an unofficial and unsupported mod.

It works well for some people,
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...uggestions-1&p=5270570&viewfull=1#post5270570
I know the under bezel clip isn't HDS approved, but my personal Rotary has been running like that for about two years.

Last edited: