Craftsman 32010319 Li-Ion Worklight LED

ChuckD

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I did some poking around here before writing this but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
I have this older, out-of-production light that I'm trying to avoid tossing. It came with a cordless screwdriver. The set was a gift for my Dad who's passed on now, but it's in mint condition and I'd like to replace the bulb with something brighter, or at least have a suitable replacement on hand if this one blows. Sears says the bulb is out of production, unavailable.

The bulb is part number 4980001000 and the only marking is a "16V" stamped on the base.
Link to the light:
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/32010319/0247/0729150.html

Thanks!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can get 18v LED bulbs in a PR type base but that isn't the main issue you will have is that it appears this bulb is more like a longer or extended bulb and unless your light has a way to adjust the focus of the bulb there is a good chance an LED replacement that would work as far as voltage etc would be out of focus enough to be essentially a flood light with most likely an annoying light pattern from the reflector.
If this light is for an older nimh or nicad based tool set I would consider abandoning it for 20v lithium technology and a new light or a stand alone LED light with its own battery solution. As someone who has spent a lot of effort getting old 2D incans to work with LED drop ins and got them to work well to have them sit unused years later due to superior LED based lights in use now if you want to take a chance on an LED PR dropin ordered online and put down $5-$10 for such a bulb hoping it will suffice vs putting down more for a hand held flashlight.

ChuckD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your feedback, Lynx.
This does have adjustable focus so maybe I could get away with an LED. I'll take any replacement, LED or incandescent, right now so the thing doesn't become a doorstop, or go needlessly to a landfill. Got an LED recommendation?

Have you seen the EGO brand Li-Ion outdoor power equipment? I recently bought their 850 leaf blower. No need to sell me on Li-Ion technology. It's just that I have this lightly-used toolset from a "bygone era" and would like to keep it going.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks for your feedback, Lynx.
This does have adjustable focus so maybe I could get away with an LED. I'll take any replacement, LED or incandescent, right now so the thing doesn't become a doorstop, or go needlessly to a landfill. Got an LED recommendation?

Have you seen the EGO brand Li-Ion outdoor power equipment? I recently bought their 850 leaf blower. No need to sell me on Li-Ion technology. It's just that I have this lightly-used toolset from a "bygone era" and would like to keep it going.
I haven't a clue as to what to recommend in the 18-20v range I figure that has 5 lithium cells in the battery pack. You can try and order an LED PR base bulb for it online. The only PR base LED bulbs I've had experience with is the Dorcy made ones and the ones harvested from store bought Eveready and Energizer flashlights. I've seen tool light LED dropins on Ebay for $5-$15 but am clueless as to the quality of them and output.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
find an mr16 led replacement that uses a buck driver.
i did this to several tool lights and its a real improvement.
last one i did i got a samsung 5000k 7w mr16 at the local thrift store for $0.99
and it is a buck.
the way to tell is to measure current while increasing voltage.
if it uses a buck current goes down with increasing voltage.
you chose beamwidth too.
most are available in varying degrees of spot or flood.