A custom flashlight where head, electronics, battery are not close together.

webbeing

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am building a custom flashlight where the head, battery, and control buttons are not in "one unit" as in a typical flashlight. The battery will be about 2-3 inches from the head. The control button is about 1-2 inches from the head.

The flashlight has two functions: instant access from any state self-defense strobe mode at 300-500 lumen, 50 lumen normal use secondary. Power source needs to support 5 hours of 50 lumen, 10 minutes of strobe mode. The smaller the battery the better, and can be rechargeable or non-rechargeable. No onboard charging is needed, though electronic must support low power warning buzzer.

Since the primary purpose is for self-defense, high reliability is a must. Please suggest components that might work for this. Thank you very much for your help!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one, welcome interesting ideas. However, current flashlight design is popular for a reason. For switches, you can go electronic (extra things/ batteries to deal with), or simply use a McClicky or Omten 1288 style. Drivers, just about anything as long as it's potted.

A suggestion, please include an option that doesn't include strobe. It's personal preference, of course, but I see no defensive application of a strobe function. If you want to stop somebody attacking you, hit them with the flashlight, not strobe.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
strobe makes it harder to locate the exact position of the light, so you might successfully sidestep.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I am building a custom flashlight where the head, battery, and control buttons are not in "one unit" as in a typical flashlight.

Are you thinking sub assemblies connected to one another by wires?

Nephron44

Enlightened
I am so confused as to the design the OP is describing...maybe a sketch may help of what the OP wants?