Flashlight for 18 & 20 year old female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
I need to get flashlights for my nieces birthdays coming up. I was gonna get them one for Christmas but I thought they wouldn't want or use one. When I bought it up I was surprised they thought it was a great idea. So it has to be rechargeable, able to fit in purse, easy navigated UI, and maybe a strobe mode or striking bezel for defense. Around $50 and single battery 26650, 21700 tops. I'm interested in any suggestions for a good durable light for general use and some protection. They don't want to carry knife/gun so this would be better then nothing for defense and seeing in the dark. If I'm missing anything please advise and best light and place to buy would be greatly appreciated. I figure there's no better resource of knowledge then a forum full of collectors/enthusiasts. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight for 18 & 20 year old female

I strongly suggest you ditch the idea of getting your nieces a flashlight for any form of self defense. Unless they will be combining it with a proper defensive tool, a flashlight is a very poor tool for self defense. In fact, in certain circumstances it will just enrage an assailant and possibly escalate the situation. You will be putting your nieces in danger by suggesting they use a flashlight in this role(again, unless combined with or in addition to a proper tool).

My recommendation is to still get them a small flashlight for their purses as a flashlight is a great tool and has many uses. Then, if you want to get them something to up their defensive game, go with a gift certificate to a well regarded training school. You may also want to take the training with them as it can be a valuable tool and will give you some great time together as well.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, forget the self-defense angle. Also, a 26650 sized light??? Women carry way more other crap in their purse, and a large light would take up too much room. Go for a small 1xAA light, or even 1xAAA. Though, too small a AAA light and it might get lost in all the other crap in there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rechargeable angle. You could use NiMH to power a 1xAA light, but chances are it isn't worth the bother for them. A lithium primary, or even an alkaline, will likely do them for a year or more.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Try Fenix lights E16. E18.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Streamlight 1L-1AA, as the name suggests will run on either CR123's or AA's, for rechargeables get them some AA Eneloops and a decent smart charger - Eneloop sells smart chargers and cells in a bundle, Costco has good deal on a Eneloop AA/AAA/charger/adapter bundle around this time of the year or you can get basic 4 AA/BQ-CC17 smart charger bundles off the net.

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
Yea I understand your point about self defense, that was just a suggestion as it would be more for drawing attention or blinding via strobe buying time for an escape. The main purpose of getting them a flashlight is for lighting up the dark. I would have to agree a 26650 is probably a bit large an 18650 being the biggest is probably more appropriate. I've seen a jetbeam ms-r15 and dc-r10 as two possibilities. What are your thoughts on those two or jetbeam in general. I want it to be rechargeable so they don't need a separate charger. A light that uses a 14500 with AA possibility would be a useful light if y'all have any good recommendations that are powered by those cells. Or maybe just a suggestion for brands that make good lights or brands to be avoided. Also any places online that sell good lights at good prices would be helpful.

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
Also cr123a is a non rechargeable battery that has a long shelf life and is interchangeable with the rcr123a which is rechargeable correct? And AA also works with the same lights that use these cells, right?? I know 14500 and AA is same size but I'm unclear about the rest. Also I like the Fenix e18, is there a place online that has some good deals??

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think they'd probably be better off with something like an Olight S1 mini. Compact, purse friendly, and comes with a USB rechargeable battery. It's easy to use, has a low battery indicator, and fits within your stated budget.

I've tried for years to get my wife and mother to carry a flashlight, not for self defense, but because I don't want them to be stranded alone somewhere in the dark. Still working on the wife, but I gave my mom one of these Olights a few months ago and it's been with her ever since.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened

based on the young ladies I know, I would suggest a light that has the ability to have the battery charged while it's inside the light. bonus points to find one that can fit on a keychain.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened

I think NEBO's pink "Lil Lucy" would be perfect, but it is not rechargeable, per se.

I'd also recommend the Nitecore TIP for their keychain.

fyrstormer

Banned

DO NOT get her a "self-defense" flashlight. At best it will scrape other things in her purse, at worst she will try to hit an attacker with it and make them angry. Unless she has martial-arts training a "pressure weapon" like a pointy flashlight bezel will do her no good. Even strobe is less useful than it sounds, because it will dazzle her eyes as well.

If you really want a pink flashlight, Nitecore makes a hot-pink P05. However, she would do just fine with a Surefire E1B-MV. (Or an E1L Outdoorsman, if you can actually find one.) Unless she has shown any predilection towards flashaholism, she's not going to have any use for a flashlight with a UI more complicated than On/Off. This is not a "because she's female" thing, this is a "because she's a normal person" thing. ;) In my 10 years as a flashaholic, whenever I've loaned a flashlight to a normal person and shown them the cool UI, they've always said something like "oh, cool!" and then just used it on the brightest setting anyway. The Surefire E1B-MV at least has one dimmer setting for use when she doesn't need to light up the whole room, and it runs for a long time on a CR123 battery that can be found in any drugstore that sells batteries. For occasional use, non-rechargeable batteries are actually better because the battery won't be dead when she needs the flashlight months from now but forgot to charge it in the meantime.

The Olight S1 is a great light, but because it has a soft-off switch, it will slowly drain any battery that is left in it. If you get the aluminum version, the parasitic drain is less of a problem because the tailcap can be unscrewed slightly to physically break the circuit, but just like keeping rechargeable batteries topped-off, it requires the presence of mind to do so. Flashlights with hard-off clicky or twisty switches are much better for occasional use because they require zero planning for the next time they will be used.

The best flashlight is the one that will actually turn on when she digs it out of her purse a year from now, and won't break when she accidentally drops it on the sidewalk. All other nifty features are secondary to those primary concerns.

Last edited:

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Where do you guys go to buy your flashlights online? Is there a store you folks can recommend? The self defense thing was more for possible temporary blinded an assailant or drawing attention more then anything else. You make good points about different modes not really needed and non-rechargeable cells lasting longer sitting in the purse. I sometimes forget that just cause I like stuff doesn't mean everyone else does too. So a flashlight that takes a CR123a would be good, correct? Those have a long shelf light, is that right? The flashlight suggested earlier that takes cr123a's and also AA's or something similar would be a good choice then. Sorry I can't see who wrote what right now because I don't have sufficient privileges until I have more posts, but thank you for all the suggestions thus far. I'd just like to know of a good vendor with good prices if you folks can point me toward one. Thanks again guys for your time and input.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
To be clear, CR123A is not RCR123A nor 16340, i.e. primary is not secondary. CR123A is an essential option, but it is primary and running them has cost. Primary in single cell set-ups is pretty safe so long as you use decent batteries with a respected label. Li-ion secondaries require a little education -- to understand the risks and hopefully adopt best practices to mitigate risks.

If you want to entirely eliminate all risk regardless of circumstances, chose your light from those designed around NiMH. In my experience alone, my favorite LED drivers/LED combos seem to all be in AAA lights. But AA isn't much bigger, and it's less expensive with 3x the runtime.

IMO, AA Eneloop is the most compelling size and chem and label to run, but it is not easy (though it should be) to find a compact forward tailclicky or twisty-tail push button momentary single AA LED flashlight with modes (starting in low) that does not employ PWM or a similar scheme with pulses or whathaveyou (IOW uncompromising regulated Constant Current circuit, regulated CC in all modes), that has a high CRI emitter... these are just my requirements, but you should trust me, they should be your requirements also (sry, terrible argument! LOL).

Just be aware, speaking of most lights everywhere, some unfortunate decisions were made about design that seem to be ubiquitous across the industry for no great reasons, and though the industry is high tech and nimble enough to change, these unfortunate design choices seem to persist from one generation to the next across manufacturers while customers scream without much effect into the giant deaf ears of the flashlight industry. Many claim they have found the "perfect" light, but I think without the modding and custom flashlight community supported here and elsewhere, it would be impossible. The best flashlight is what the customer wants, and that's likely the only way to achieve full satisfaction without compromise.

Last edited:

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
I've gotten some good advice from you folks and I'd like to thank you for that. One last thing, I need some suggestions on a good place to buy these flashlights. Is there anyplace that y'all can recommend that has good prices, shipping and what not?? I have been to battery junction and they seem like good prices was just wondering if you hardcore flashlight-a-holics have a vendor with some great prices or sales.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotten some good advice from you folks and I'd like to thank you for that. One last thing, I need some suggestions on a good place to buy these flashlights. Is there anyplace that y'all can recommend that has good prices, shipping and what not?? I have been to battery junction and they seem like good prices was just wondering if you hardcore flashlight-a-holics have a vendor with some great prices or sales.

GoingGear.com is well regarded within the community, and some of the directly brand-affiliated stores like those linked to Olight, Fenix, and Nitecore seem to make a good effort, too. Amazon is fine, also.

The Nitecore Tini is probably another worth considering. It's a different form factor compared to the Olights, but very small (smaller than some car keyfobs), and available in different finishes that I think are a bonus for gift lights.

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for that information. One quick question about I might I've never heard of but looks nice. Astrolux S42 2023LM Rechargeable Mini LED Flashlight, any thoughts on this light and the vendor banggood?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one feature that might make the Streamlight a great choice is that they are easily programmed to be just a single mode light if you prefer it or multi-mode if yo prefer that.

You can also get Streamlight at retail on many places which also might be a pretty big selling point for some,O know I like it!

fyrstormer

Banned
My understanding is that Banggood is not a well-respected vendor. They're basically a factory-outlet with no product support to speak of, and the quality of the products are extremely variable from one model to the next. They also offered to pay me to write a couple reviews for RC cars they were selling. I declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.