Picking one light only

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the title says, if you have to pick one light only what would you look for? Do you already have one that fits? I will exclude a good tactical light as I believe one should keep a dedicated gun light with their arm of choice.

For context let's say you are going on extended travels, or downsizing to a small residence or bugging out. Whatever. For me, I'm not really sure. Headlamps are great for practicality but I have used the aaa light on my keychain more than anything else. Of course this form trades a lot of utility for handiness, although with modern LEDs that balance has shifted quite a bit. At this time my handgun light is a surefire g2L with Malkoff m61n.

That said, a 1xAAA twisty keychain light with something like a neutral xpg or even a nichia 219c would be pretty good. I like LMH or MLH order of modes, a strong and reversible clip to use with a ball cap, and of course a higher IPx rating.

jimmy22Aus

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Tactician, extremely useful features, momentary only high output tail cap, twist for constant on, twist bezel for low output of 5 lumens, clips to ball cap, has useful lanyard, max vision beam 800 lumens, very clean flood beam with about 100 meter range, will take 2 x 123A, 16340 or 1 16650 ( max output reduced with a 16650 )

5" long and only 1" diameter. Very slick light, heavy duty pocket clip.

e6d1ec6d9af0c85d20e2fe22a9827432.jpg
5eeee0b78444d260af58d65fd760481b.jpg

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary 200 with the fabulous Nichia 219b 4000K r9050. Answer has not changed since I first got this light a few years ago and is not likely to change in the near future.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the unlikely event that I had to downsize to one flashlight, I'd rebel and keep two. My HDS executive 219b 4500K R9080 and my Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 in neutral.

(Might stash one or two more in a pocket or pack if no one else was counting.)

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the unlikely event that I had to downsize to one flashlight, I'd rebel and keep two. My HDS executive 219b 4500K R9080 and my Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 in neutral.

(Might stash one or two more in a pocket or pack if no one else was counting.)
Wait, you don't have 10 flashlights buried in various locations for exactly this scenario?

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]Emisar D4 XP-L HI 5K 10623 Flood Optic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I guess it all depends on where you score your points. When it comes to flashlights I'm more of a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar than a Michael Jordan from midrange, or Steph Curry from the 3-point land.[/FONT]

mickb

Enlightened
A 1 xAA light, still just small enough to be a bulky key chain item, smooth reflector, 3 levels between 5 lumens and 130lumens, I can still target stuff to 40 yards with this in a pinch. Basically a fenix E12 really except I'd change its crappy interface, easier way to select levels.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have an E12 and really dig it. But would prefer it be a forward clicky so I could change settings then press to hold.

When it first arrived I thought it was a AA E01 alternative but noticed sometimes it would become brighter and other times not so bright. Whut-thuh?

So I did a little reading and thought "awe man this thing is adjustable? woohoo". But it being my one and only? Nah.

If big brother took away every light but one I'd keep my yellow 320 lumen SureFire G2x Pro and stash a Maglite Solitaire LED where the sun don't shine so they'd not find that one. Nice and smooth. My PKDL PL2 would get pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Eh, a little more pondering brought me to think a 3C Maglite ML50 would get the nod since it's bright, has really long run time at 20 lumens and is packable. Plus has enough oomph to crack a coconut if stranded on a dessert island.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I have come back to this thread several times(today alone) and read what others are putting. I honestly can not name one light, its impossible. Too many variables in them, some i prefer X others Y and the size of Z.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light?

I'd have to go with the Acebeam X65.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
...stash a Maglite Solitaire LED where the sun don't shine so they'd not find that one. Nice and smooth...

Yep. You're a flashaholic. While I wouldn't use that particular torch after it came out from hiding, I would hold you in the highest possible regard for keeping it. Good one.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Despite the fact I'm currently moving mine on. I'd have to say an emisar d4s with sst20 but in 4000k next time (3000 is too warm for me)
Just does a full range of outputs in a perfect compact size. Love the auxillary lights to. It's a perfect blend of fun meeting practical.

bla2000

Enlightened
Copper Maratac aaa. Mine is an older version with stronger knurling and has been modded with a 219b and preon driver. I like this light because it is small enough to carry in any pocket and it tailstands well.

My 2nd choice is the neutral Eagtac D25A Ti. It's small for an aa light and I like the knurling on the titanium body.

My 3rd choice is the neutral 4Sevens Preon Revon SS. It would have been the 1st if the spring was stronger. I never bought the stiffer spring so if any one has extras I'd like to buy a few. Over the years I've dropped it and had it not turn back on until I'd pull the spring out and stretch it.

My 4th choice is the Zebralight H51W. I use it all the time but it is not my 1st choice because if I had only 1 light I wouldn't rely on having to keep an inventory of cr123 batteries or 16340s with a charger. For a single light I prefer the convenience of aaa or aa eneloops which I also use for things other than flashlights.

Despite stating my prefernces above I still keep buying new lights, have some nicer custom lights and older surefire lights. As much as I like using a Spy 007, HDS Rotary or Krono Cu X5 they are larger and heavier than the Maratac aaa so I carry it more often.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could choose just 1 light to live with I would have to pick a AA model just for easy battery availability in general.
This leaves me with really 2 choices but luckily they are almost identical anyway.

4714a2323edd80e43f10c2e2c393c139.jpg

Well I did say Almost![emoji848]

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to have to say my Quark AA2 (non "tactical" switch).

It's got pretty much everything I want:
o A great close range full beam
o A brilliant and easily, directly and safely accessible moonlight mode that lasts for weeks
o Easy to find batteries
o Slim enough to EDC in trouser pockets
o Easy to access strobe
o Optional clip
o Excellent UI

I've had my original one for 8 years and it's been in my pocket for every one of those days and very rarely lets me down.

Last edited: