4Sevens Mini Turbo MKIII

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier this week I received this latest version of the 4Sevens Mini Turbo from Prometheus Lights. I ordered it on a pre-sale special offer at a minor discount off the $65 advertised price.

A year ago I had one of the fire-sale ($18) Mini Turbo MkII's with me on a trip through Asia and I was really impressed with how handy it was for a tiny light with a wide dynamic range of output. I found that I used this light much more than the two SureFires that I also had on the trip.

Jason at Prometheus lists the changes in the MkIII version:

What's new with the Mini Turbo MKIII

• User interface: similar to the previous UI but revamped for better usability and wider appeal to different owners. Details below.
    [*]Pocket clip: The new clip is a thicker material and a standard "one way" pocket clip. We wanted the pocket clip to be awesome, but if there is demand, we may offer the old "two way" clip as an accessory.
  • Body Machining: Fuller grooves were added to the body for improved rotational grip.
  • Tail: It also has an all new magnetic tailcap that makes it compatible with the 360 Headlamp (Coming Soon). In the future we plan to release a non-magnetic "dummy" insert and a keychain attachment that can both replace the magnet.
  • Cree LED: The MKIII features the newest Cree XPL-HI LED with neutral tint and 4500K color temperature and 75+ CRI.
  • Hybrid Memory: A blend of memory and no-memory, the hybrid configuration saves the last mode used, but reverts to the first mode in the sequence when shifting out of a saved mode.
  • Solid Copper (Direct Thermal) MCPCB: The LED is mounted to a solid copper PCB to provide superior thermal performance and maximum output.

For me, the most noticeable differences are the 4500K neutral tint and the magnet in the tailcap.

I haven't really kept up with LED's that much and I was surprised to see that the XPL-HI appears to be de-domed (or, should I say, never domed?) but gives a very nice tight hotspot with the Mini Turbo reflector.

The beam is lovely and indeed looks warm compared to other recent lights like the SureFire EDCL-1T and E1B-MV.

As with many Chinese lights, there are modes and sub-modes and coded twists and LED blinks to help navigate the maze of the user interface. If I'm in Mode 4 and want to activate the strobe as a visual warning for my stalled car a year from now, will I remember how to do it? I somehow doubt it.

Of course, for simple folks like me, I can just put the light in one of the KISS modes and lock it down.

I'm wondering if having a strong magnet in my pocket is a good idea. On one hand, if I'm working next to a refrigerator or auto body (not a Corvette ;)) I can stick the light on to give me both hands free. On the other, if I put that hotel room key card with the magnetic stripe in my pocket, it's a long way back to the front desk to have my key programmed again. :shakehead

I let the light run down on the high mode and it gets warm unlike the original 4Sevens Mini (Mk I) which gets (dangerously in my opinion) hot. I carried the original Mini light for a few days but I was afraid to use it much on high because I feared that I would drop it somewhere inaccessible, like under the rudder pedals of a Boeing, while it was on high mode.

Over all, I'm really enjoying this new light. The throw on high, max or burst (as it seems to be called :confused:) is good enough to spot deer, possums and coons in the back forty this time of year and the moonlight level is great for maintaining night vision at 3 am.

Last edited:

Rasher

Enlightened
These are neat lights, I've got one modded with the tiny Oslon emitter inbound. Crazy performance in a small package even when stock.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
I received my preorder a few days ago as well. I am really impressed by the heat management on burst. The brightness it maintains after ramping down is also impressive. Comparing this light to a Fenix E16, I can put them both on burst/turbo, and after 60 seconds, the Mini Turbo Mk III is still extremely bright and throwy, and the body is only a little warm. By comparison, the E16 starts to heat up as soon as I switch it to turbo; after 1 minute of use, the whole body has gotten uncomfortably hot and the brightness resembles the output of one of my AAA flashlights.

The only thing I'm not crazy about with the Turbo Mk III is the UI. I find it a little tricky to "double twist" the light to get it to go into burst from the default mode configuration. I wish there were a configuration with burst being only one twist away from another brightness level. My solution has been to use configuration 2 (max/strobe), since I bought the flashlight to use it on max anyway, and again, the heat management is very good. I plan to simply use it on burst all the time and allow it ramp down to high on its own if I use it for more than a minute at a time, which I probably won't do that often.

I got the light for camping, so I can use a lightweight, floody headlamp as my main light around camp but simultaneously have a thrower on tap at all times to check on animal noises just beyond my campsite. I think it will be perfect for that. Not sure about the beam profile for EDC, but that's why they make the non-Turbo version.

Regarding the tail magnet, it seems that a solution is on the way
From their website: said:
Tail: It also has an all new magnetic tailcap that makes it compatible with the 360 Headlamp (Coming Soon). In the future we plan to release a non-magnetic "dummy" insert and a keychain attachment that can both replace the magnet.
I will be one of the first people to order the non-magnetic tailcap.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I'm not crazy about with the Turbo Mk III is the UI. I find it a little tricky to "double twist" the light to get it to go into burst from the default mode configuration. I wish there were a configuration with burst being only one twist away from another brightness level. My solution has been to use configuration 2 (max/strobe), since I bought the flashlight to use it on max anyway, and again, the heat management is very good. I plan to simply use it on burst all the time and allow it ramp down to high on its own if I use it for more than a minute at a time, which I probably won't do that often.

Yep, the UI is a little tricky for me as well. The instructions warn 'Use a momentary "press" [sic] (not a "click") when entering configuration mode.' Presses on a twisty light? Huh? :confused:

I'm not able to reliably get the light into burst mode with the two twists in 'less than .25 seconds'.

Once you navigate to the strobe mode, it is very bright and at a psychedelic frequency that might even require a warning label in some countries. In the UK you have to post a warning when a video contains flash photography for example.

The UI fondly reminds me of some of Henry's clickies from years ago. And reminds me why Marines like the Surefire two-level tailcap interface.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
Yep, the UI is a little tricky for me as well. The instructions warn 'Use a momentary "press" [sic] (not a "click") when entering configuration mode.' Presses on a twisty light? Huh? :confused:

From on, just barely unscrew the head until the light turns off. You should now be able to press the head in and it will light up, due to imperfect tolerances in the threads. To enter programming mode, don't forget to keep pressing in on that 10th press.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
From on, just barely unscrew the head until the light turns off. You should now be able to press the head in and it will light up, due to imperfect tolerances in the threads. To enter programming mode, don't forget to keep pressing in on that 10th press.

Thanks for the tip, I am getting a little better at the conventional >.25 second double twist. I'm glad the light is not titanium with the galling issues on the twisty interface.

It looks like burst and max are both 700 lumens on the Turbo MkIII, high is 300 lumens.

I really like the tint of this latest 4Sevens pocket rocket. I have a non-Turbo Mini MkII in titanium with a similar warmth.

I don't carry a gun or eat snakes but I do like to go on night walks in the country on a quiet rural road. I use the moonlight mode to look out for rocks and turtles on a dark lane without disturbing the few neighbors. When a lone car pops over the hill, I like to have a bright light to quickly shine on the ground to let them know I'm there. Of course, I need to carry a spare light in case the little Turbo Mini squirts out of my clumsy fingers and turns off while I'm trying to do those tricky mode changes.

This thread needs pictures.

~ Cg
SyvFUgJ.jpg

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED choice, firmware, and clip are all improvements. The grip is step backwards IMO, much slipperier than the dogbone shape. Jury is out on the magnet. CR123 compatibility is a huge plus IMO since these make great backup lights for stashing due to their compact size.

lRsqRBi.jpg
tYqx4aq.jpg
C4gpYy9.jpg
C1cKBWV.jpg
9BhjRDN.jpg
sdYIAlx.jpg
TLCC4gM.jpg
89Ei7Fj.jpg
HJghrmc.jpg
zVJhVrQ.jpg
XNc0VoX.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Great pics, not keen on new body though...........much prefer older style . xpl HI is a great option, i had mine modded to xpl HI 4000k and it makes for a great pocket thrower.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, thanks for the razor sharp photos. :thumbsup:

Gotta love that stainless steel MkII as well, although mine seems to tighten up on the twisty action when it gets cold.

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
I believe there was talk of an optional accessory non mag tail cap "available at a later date" or you can always kill the magnet with judicious application of heat!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have really been hoping that the new Minis would still ship with the clip on keychain contraption of the MkII but it seems that ship has sailed without us now for some reason?

I have a Ti on my keys and absolutely love it!
79ecbe4dd95aab8c9c6b328bf9a722a6.jpg
161afd509cecfe82bced0c771f1da7ba.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks, CG. A magnet is a non-starter for me personally. I was thinking it would be a cool spot for some glow material. 😁

koziy

Newly Enlightened
If anyone is interested, the tailcap magnet is easily removable, albeit it leaves the tail a little hollow looking. The brass ring unscrews pretty easily. There is no threadlocker or glue, and you don't need a special tool. I set the flashlight head down on a steady surface and used a very small allen wrench to turn the brass ring counter-clockwise.

I have found no obvious way to upload images to the forum website and the FAQ says don't embed, so if you want to see a photo, see the following link: https://imgur.com/a/gyl7VTB

Last edited: