My road to my first HDS light

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks, thought I would have my first post in the CP forums be here in the HDS location, since I finally upgraded to my new pocket carry light:
HDS rotary, 325 lm NLT, svr bzl, blk bdy, sapphire, 123, flush btn, svr univ clip.

Now, this is not my first foray into high quality lights, but for sure my first custom. A bit about me and my story. I am a retired Fine Arts Administrator, music teacher, band director, and back in the day during summer a firearms instructor, and I have had a flashlight in my pocket all the time since 1988. Every single hour/day. Why did I start back then? Well I have a scar on my leg from that spring from when we had a power outage, and I was located back in the percussion section on risers, when the room went pitch black. At the time the old school building did not have emergency lights in each room, and our basement area of our performing arts area was in total darkness. The hallway battery emergency light was bad! I had a flashlight on my desk at the front of the room, but I had to make my way to that location through 70 screaming middle school band students with instruments and music stands. The scar is a remnant of that journey thanks to a trip, fall and lovely cut on a metal music stand. Yes, they installed emergency lights in each room after they cleaned up all the blood.

I started with a lowly aa incandescent pocket light of some unknown origin, and transitioned to a SureFire executive when it was introduced, and then added on the kl1 LED head when they offered it. I bought two 6p SureFire and a 6z combat incandescents in 88 89 and used them for over 15 years at bedside, car, briefcase, weapons training, etc.... I also have numerous SureFire x200, x300, x300u mounted lights, and have since converted all the 6p and 6z with Malkoff led replacements a number of years ago. Those replacements are incredible. We bought a 100 acre farm way back, and more serious candlepower was needed, and of course added in numerous Chinese Led flashlights, JETBeam, Olight, Fenix, Thrunite, Nitecore, etc etc. I stashed them everywhere, gave away as gifts, and tried to turn everyone on to the price point of good useable, good high lumen, pocket/purse lights. I have lurked at the CP forums forever.

Back in 2008 I retired my SureFire E1 led for a JETBeam RRT0 Raptor with the variable ring, and wondered, hmmm, how long will this work being in a pocket 24/7. It has been on every hunt, and dropped 20-30 times, rained on, tracked deer, and is getting worn, but I always always had a nagging thought about reliability.? Well, it has been a trooper, 10years no problems, but I have been lusting for more. I learned Of HDS many years ago through CP, and guess my SureFire weapon lights and 6p units durability were calling, As was US manufactured machining, warranty, and design, so I ordered my HDS Rotary today, and joined the CP forums. Looking forward to my new light arrival in 3-4 weeks.

Cheers, and thanks Henry!

Wade.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the tribe!
Let's start the betting for how soon you buy another HDS...
They seem to be addicting.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
I think most of us could share a similar story about lights. Sounds like you've got a healthy collection.

:welcome:

yep, I am to afraid to list everything, also hard to find them all. Every room in the house, shop, car, tractor, camping bag, hunting bag, etc...they add up.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
I think it's great that the OP has so much experience with all those different makers' lights. It's one thing to try to tell someone why these HDS lights are so good, but it's quite another to be able to hold it on day one and say...…."yeah, this is the one".

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your shopping list should include a high CRI HDS light as it is a clear step above all other flashlights. Next needed is some type of carry holster or carry pouch from Thor's hammer custom leather. Over the last twelve months I ordered and tried 12 different designs and all are pictured in the holsters thread.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
I think it's great that the OP has so much experience with all those different makers' lights. It's one thing to try to tell someone why these HDS lights are so good, but it's quite another to be able to hold it on day one and say...…."yeah, this is the one".

Thanks, I am hoping for that feeling, just have to wait until arrives. I remember getting my first warm fuzzy light feeling with the Malkoff heads I placed on the SureFire 6p hosts a number of years ago. Smooth, even, proper temp, filled the area with smooth even enveloping lighting, and indoors just lighted up the rooms properly. Was a very nice change of pace from my other LED lights.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
Your shopping list should include a high CRI HDS light as it is a clear step above all other flashlights. Next needed is some type of carry holster or carry pouch from Thor's hammer custom leather. Over the last twelve months I ordered and tried 12 different designs and all are pictured in the holsters thread.

Trust me, I thought long and hard on which model to get, and did consider a high CRI, but coming from a theatre stage influenced career, where I helped set and blend warm and cool lighting instruments for a perfect GI (general illumination) I was okay with the 5000 kelvin 325 longer throw, and also factoring in was I am now retired and living on a farm and needing a touch longer throw. Of course I have some longer throw Torches, but they use a bit more horsepower with single or multiple 18650s. And their size negates all the time carry. We won't even discuss their color cast...yikes.

But your assessment may prove prophetic. And I have already read and lusted after many of those holsters. Thanks so much for your suggestions and words.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
Just got the shipping notice, and of course I just left out of town now, so my neighbor will be baby sitting the package.... grrrr.....

I will for sure post a review, but H, you should expect an email tomorrow.... wink wink wink.... yes, holster time...

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
You've got class. I particularly like the touches of carbon fiber.

why thank you! Carbon fiber is my favorite knife scale. Pocket knives, a lot like other accoutrements, addicting. Unfortunately, I have a fair number of addictions. :D

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Carbon fiber and HDSs go together like peas and carrots.

IMG_5524_zps38lw5ijf.jpg

Sos24

Enlightened
I had a similar path which ended with an HDS about a year ago and an HDS has been in my pocket everyday since. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.