• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Malkoff Devices MDC that can take rechargeables

sygyzy

Enlightened
Hi, I am interested in buying a used MDC, particularly one with a single 123 body but with a head that can take 16340 (RCR123). I know the current batch of MDC's take primaries only, but there are MDC heads you can buy a la carte, as well as the "Bodyguard" version that support rechargeables.

I would be open to the body guard version but would ideally like the standard MDC body paired with one of the rechargeable heads.

Let me know what you have, thank you!

wweiss

Enlightened
You can run RCR's in Malkoff's. You just have to add the cumulative voltages of the stack and be sure that doesn't exceed their maximum recommended volts in the specs...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he's saying that he wants the form factor of the MDC 1CR123, but that has a maximum input voltage of ~3v. Because the 16340 runs @ 4.2v on a full charge, it would over volt and damage the light. He really needs the MDC 16650, which is rated for the correct voltage, but with a shorter 1CR123 battery tube.

If you're unable to turn up the necessary used parts, it might be worth emailing Gene. He may be willing to sell you a new light in this configuration.

wweiss

Enlightened
I think he's saying that he wants the form factor of the MDC 1CR123, but that has a maximum input voltage of ~3v. Because the 16340 runs @ 4.2v on a full charge, it would over volt and damage the light. He really needs the MDC 16650, which is rated for the correct voltage, but with a shorter 1CR123 battery tube.

If you're unable to turn up the necessary used parts, it might be worth emailing Gene. He may be willing to sell you a new light in this configuration.

You're right, I was wrong about that....

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing. The MDC 16650 running on a 16340 would have very short run times on high mode. My guess would be something in the neighborhood of 15 minutes. Possibly less. Why not just get the MDC 16650? Batteries are cheap and it's not an overly large flashlight. You can even get the high CRI, 4000K version from Illumination supply. They are in stock!

sygyzy

Enlightened
Thank you both for your help. Modernflame is correct, I'd ideally like a 16340 form factor. A 15 minute runtime would be limiting but I am curious which head are you referring to? This one says it draws 1450 ma on high so that would be about 30 minutes with a 700mAh battery right (not accounting for inefficiencies). I was told that the MDC is this rock solid and durable Daily Carry light so I started seeking it out. But the more I read, the more I realize people are not really respecting (for lack of a batter word), the MDC system. I am getting advice to get adapters and different heads (VME for example) and use P60 drop ins. I mean, this flexibility is great but I feel like a MDC light should be a MDC body mated to a MDC head, otherwise, I can just get an E or C series body (generic or SF) and throw in any number of drop-ins. Then what's the point of MDC at all?

Anyway, thank you for your help. To anyone else reading this WTB thread - I am still looking for a MDC setup. I'll update the thread if I just end up buying something new.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
... but I am curious which head are you referring to? This one says it draws 1450 ma on high so that would be about 30 minutes with a 700mAh battery right (not accounting for inefficiencies).

Sorry to clutter up your thread. I know it's a WTB and not a recommendation thread. Just wanted to clarify. I did not include the MDC HA LMH head in the discussion up this point because it did not meet your CRI requirement, although it's probably decent. I was referring to the high CRI version of the MDC 16650 with the idea of exchanging the stock battery tube (16650) for a shorter one (16340).

I hope this thread turns up the parts you're looking for. Good luck!