Looking for a bomb proof AA.

dave7mm

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a bomb proof LED light that uses two AAs.
A light for my work.Im a tool and die maker by trade.
So im looking into plastic injecton mold cavities,looking at dial indicator faces.
Doesn't have to be a flamethrower.
Just something reliable.
My old AA mag light from 1984 is still working.
New ones just dont last.
This is my first post.
Been lurking for awhile.

dave

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, unless you're working in a corrosive environment, a 2xAA light from just about any quality brand will likely do just fine for you. That said, if you're really looking for lights that have earned a reputation for reliability, here's a short list.

Rayovac Indestructible 2xAA and the Energizer Hardcase 2xAA Task Light are both inexpensive, easy to find, and are very robust.

If you have money to burn, you can get a 2xAA version of the HDS EDC rotary or clicky, but that's $300+. The Malkoff MDC 2xAA is less than half that and probably nearly as durable.

But seriously, just about every major brand makes a decent 2xAA. Just this last week I bought an old Surefire G3, put a Malkoff M31LL drop-in in it and rolled a piece of cardboard around 2 AAs to prevent it from rattling. Works like a charm.

Good luck finding something you like!

--flatline

Last edited:

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened
Hi and welcome,
Don't know your budget but....Malkoff MDC 2AA is 3 speed (low, medium, high.)
If you just want 1 speed... Malkoff VME head with an M31 of your choice, on their 2AA tube.

Either 1 would be tough as heck, Made in USA and if you should ever need it their customer service is top shelf!

Not the cheapest out there, but you did say bomb proof!

Russ

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC 2AA body w/ VME head, Lumens Factory Seraph SP-9 or Surefire 9P or Surefire G3... any of those w/ favorite dropin. Maybe an Elzetta Charlie body with an Alpha head if possible.

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC 2AA is 3 speed (low, medium, high). If you just want 1 speed... Malkoff VME head with an M31 of your choice, on their 2AA tube.

Either 1 would be tough as heck, Made in USA and if you should ever need it their customer service is top shelf!

Not the cheapest out there, but you did say bomb proof!

Russ

This. Definitely this. All depends on if you need multi-level or single-level output. Great lights, great people, and they stand behind their products. That's my two cents.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Malkoff 2AA. You won't be able to break it, even if you use it as a hammer. It also comes with the best pocket clip on planet earth. I normally distrust pocket clips, but this one is secure as a bank vault.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I don't have many 2x AA lights anymore but I still have an old Fenix E series that I use as a utility light occasionally. I've dropped it more times than I can remember, including off a roof, into a pool etc. I've accidentally put it into the washing machine and lost it in my snowy backyard only to find it weeks later when it melted.

Might not be bomb proof, but it's served me well.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if it's actual bombproof, but let me qote Gene43, the maker of malkoff. :twothumbs
"If you experience a failure of a M60 for any reason. (Even if you accidentally tape some C4 to it.) Just contact me and I will replace it."