Any classic musclecar owners?

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm very close to buying a 1965 cobra (replica) with a 452 (stroked 390) engine. Car is open top, no covering. Has no heat or a/c. Dyno in excess of 500 hp at the crank. 2400-2500lb curb weight.

I'm unsure on how much I will get to (or choose to) drive it. I already own an s2000 so I'm experienced w/ convertible/2nd car ownership already.

Car is quite loud... so there's the concern about too much noise attracting unwanted attention. I think that a lot of the owners of this particular car only attend shows/parades and if that is what happens to me... I would not be pleased.

4Pro

Newly Enlightened
I'm very close to buying a 1965 cobra (replica) with a 452 (stroked 390) engine. Car is open top, no covering. Has no heat or a/c. Dyno in excess of 500 hp at the crank. 2400-2500lb curb weight.

I'm unsure on how much I will get to (or choose to) drive it. I already own an s2000 so I'm experienced w/ convertible/2nd car ownership already.

Car is quite loud... so there's the concern about too much noise attracting unwanted attention. I think that a lot of the owners of this particular car only attend shows/parades and if that is what happens to me... I would not be pleased.
not a "Classic" car owner but worked on plenty... Also very familiar with those cars (Professional background)

What chassis is it? Factory Five? Who built the motor?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Unique Motorcars in Alabama. Looks like they are one of the top builders for that cars. Engine came from Southern Automotive in Georgia. 13k mile on chassis. 500 miles on new engine. Tremec t5. Jag IRS. Fire suppression system. Fuel cell.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Have wanted one of these for a long time. Now I'm financially able to purchase one. I also built an additional 4 car heated/cooled garage to house it and other items. But it's like anticlimactic... not sure if I would get $X amount of enjoyment from it.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had a classic muscle car for many years (this was my last):

tcIF6hul.jpg

But this is my younger brother's:

oHQjErHl.jpg

1970 Chevelle SS 454
Currently running a 541 cid w/est. 650 hp. :D

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
My dad has three 1970 Dodge Challengers he has fully restored. I let him fund the projects and store them, I just drive them. Haha

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to restore 66 Mustangs and started a 67 Cougar XR7 that I had to abandon. 2200 pounds with about 300 horsepower was pretty cool. I actually preferred my auto tranny 200 cid 66 that was largely devoid of options. It was a hoot to drive on twisty back roads. No power steering provided a seemingly much better sense of the pavement texture.

I had a pretty cool 77 Cutlass Brougham at one point with a 4 bolt 350 Chevy engine and opened up exhaust valves along with a gas guzzling 4 barrel. It passed everything but a gas station. The auto tranny was a super smooth shifter too. Luxury hot rods are my favorite.
Divorce sucks.

Later I discovered higher rpms were for me. When a Nissan Sentra could keep up with my hi-po 289 red light to red light and still get 22mpg I turned to another direction. 60mph in second gear and still get 25mpg on the highway... That is what floats my boat these days.

I've always preferred quiet, well tuned exhausts. A 69 camaro a guy at my school showed me that. When it was coming at you it had so much electricity flowing through the motor your arm hair stood up. Yet it was whisper quiet at idle. Just a nice low 1960's rumble came out the back as he'd ease by us in the smoking area of the high school parking lot. "Cooooool!!!" we all thought.

The S2000 is a fun car. Like a riding lawnmower that goes 115mph without issue. And the highly modable MX5 can be a real rocket machine. Some have installed V8's in them.

Rasher

Enlightened
Have you had extensive experience in driving such a thing? As the owner of a real one and of a decent replica (Superformance), you should be aware that the handling of these are "twitchy" to be charitable, even when using more modern suspension setups (as in decent replicas).

Only one replica I know of that has (had) handling comparable to a modern sports car - was a fairly accurate look externally but underneath was a pretty decent track setup - they only built a few before closing up shop (I can't recall the name at the moment - was based out of SF bay area, was run as a side project by a racing team - if I remember it I'll edit it in).

Bottom line, one of my most dangerous cars (more power than is needed, near zero actual crash protection), do keep that in mind.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm unsure on how much I will get to (or choose to) drive it. I already own an s2000 so I'm experienced w/ convertible/2nd car ownership already. Car is quite loud... so there's the concern about too much noise attracting unwanted attention. I think that a lot of the owners of this particular car only attend shows/parades and if that is what happens to me... I would not be pleased.

I think you'll find the Cobra has very little in common with your s2000. I've known a number of folks with Cobras (replica and original) and you're correct about how they're mostly used. You do realize the original Cobra roadster was a race car and was never intended for street use. Street legal versions were only produced to satisfy homologation requirements for racing.

Have fun with it - just be careful. I know of at least one owner who died pushing things a little too far...

If you want a car you'll enjoy driving, perhaps you should consider something a lot more Sunday Driver friendly. I know that would be my choice. Congratulations on being in a position to purchase a second or third fun-car. :thumbsup:

~ Cg

turbodog

Flashaholic
Have you had extensive experience in driving such a thing? As the owner of a real one and of a decent replica (Superformance), you should be aware that the handling of these are "twitchy" to be charitable, even when using more modern suspension setups (as in decent replicas).

Only one replica I know of that has (had) handling comparable to a modern sports car - was a fairly accurate look externally but underneath was a pretty decent track setup - they only built a few before closing up shop (I can't recall the name at the moment - was based out of SF bay area, was run as a side project by a racing team - if I remember it I'll edit it in).

Bottom line, one of my most dangerous cars (more power than is needed, near zero actual crash protection), do keep that in mind.

It's interesting on the crash comment. One would think that the 4 point harness would help in that regard.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I think you'll find the Cobra has very little in common with your s2000. I've known a number of folks with Cobras (replica and original) and you're correct about how they're mostly used. You do realize the original Cobra roadster was a race car and was never intended for street use. Street legal versions were only produced to satisfy homologation requirements for racing.

Have fun with it - just be careful. I know of at least one owner who died pushing things a little too far...

I mean that it can be sobering to have an 18 wheeler pass you on the interstate in a small, low convertible. You get a feeling for *just* how close to the pavement you are.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I used to restore 66 Mustangs and started a 67 Cougar XR7 that I had to abandon. 2200 pounds with about 300 horsepower was pretty cool. I actually preferred my auto tranny 200 cid 66 that was largely devoid of options. It was a hoot to drive on twisty back roads. No power steering provided a seemingly much better sense of the pavement texture.

I had a pretty cool 77 Cutlass Brougham at one point with a 4 bolt 350 Chevy engine and opened up exhaust valves along with a gas guzzling 4 barrel. It passed everything but a gas station. The auto tranny was a super smooth shifter too. Luxury hot rods are my favorite.
Divorce sucks.

Later I discovered higher rpms were for me. When a Nissan Sentra could keep up with my hi-po 289 red light to red light and still get 22mpg I turned to another direction. 60mph in second gear and still get 25mpg on the highway... That is what floats my boat these days.

I've always preferred quiet, well tuned exhausts. A 69 camaro a guy at my school showed me that. When it was coming at you it had so much electricity flowing through the motor your arm hair stood up. Yet it was whisper quiet at idle. Just a nice low 1960's rumble came out the back as he'd ease by us in the smoking area of the high school parking lot. "Cooooool!!!" we all thought.

The S2000 is a fun car. Like a riding lawnmower that goes 115mph without issue. And the highly modable MX5 can be a real rocket machine. Some have installed V8's in them.

Yeah, the s2k is fun. I've pushed it up to 135 but not past that. It an 06 so it has the tweaked suspension. But it will swap ends pretty quickly even so.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Surprising on the handling... I would think with the jag IRS and double wishbone front end it would be good. I do know that Unique had a shock-maker come in and check their chassis: weight distribution, ride height, etc. So there are appropriate shocks available.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Though I've not driven one, everything I've seen and heard points to the car being essentially undriveable anywhere near its limits; you can't put that much torque into a Miata-size wheelbase and keep the car from snap oversteering at every opportunity. Definitely a car to be seen in, but that last third of the throttle travel is off limits unless you're doing donuts..

scout24

Flashaholic
There is an original unrestored light blue Chevette running around my hometown here. I see it out every couple months. Even has the chrome roofrack and OEM hubcaps. Skinny whitewalls, the whole 9. Mint. Near as I can tell, it's an 81 or 82... :)