Maha Powerex MH-C9000 replacement power adapter

TheGrave

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

My MH-C9000 adapter cable is about to die. Not something that cannot be repaired but opening up the power adapter will probably take quite some heating as it seems to be glued. Before I go down this road I want to order a replacement adapter. Anything you guys know that is compatible and easy to obtain (ideally with an EU socket)? Found some second hand stuff on eBay in the US but it will go up to 25USD with shipping and at this price point I'm thinking I might just as well take the leap and buy a brand new MC3000 for 3 times the price as 18650 and 26650 batteries started piling around my (internal charging) flashlights and headlamps:crackup:Or maybe somebody who managed to open this adapter and nice enough to compile instructions :) ?

Cheers

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

My MH-C9000 adapter cable is about to die. Not something that cannot be repaired but opening up the power adapter will probably take quite some heating as it seems to be glued. Before I go down this road I want to order a replacement adapter. Anything you guys know that is compatible and easy to obtain (ideally with an EU socket)? Found some second hand stuff on eBay in the US but it will go up to 25USD with shipping and at this price point I'm thinking I might just as well take the leap and buy a brand new MC3000 for 3 times the price as 18650 and 26650 batteries started piling around my (internal charging) flashlights and headlamps:crackup:Or maybe somebody who managed to open this adapter and nice enough to compile instructions :) ?

Cheers

I'm in America, so I don't do the Euro Plug, but anything that can supply a quality 2A and has a barrel connector that fits, will do.

They're ubiquitous, even in Europe.

Chris

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried several generic power adapters on my MH-C9000 and they worked fine. 12 volts DC, 2A minimum, with the correct size 5.5mm coax plug wired as shown on the charger. I found several such adapters at home powering such things as external harddrives. I double check the voltage and coax wiring with a voltmeter. I also have bought several on closeouts, for $8-10 USD, from places like Parts Express and Macsales (in the USA, though).

I've seen different adapters come with the Maha, but if you just want to try repairing your wiring, my technique for opening glued power pack boxes is to tap the glued perimeter seam of the plastic box with a chisel and small hammer. Not hard enough to break the insides, but enough to crack the glued seam. Often I can get it apart with little or no externally visible damage.

hc900

Newly Enlightened
I have tried several generic power adapters on my MH-C9000 and they worked fine. 12 volts DC, 2A minimum, with the correct size 5.5mm coax plug wired as shown on the charger. I found several such adapters at home powering such things as external harddrives. I double check the voltage and coax wiring with a voltmeter. I also have bought several on closeouts, for $8-10 USD, from places like Parts Express and Macsales (in the USA, though).
To avoid problems it is better to buy AC adapters from 12V declared as 3 Ampere or 4 Ampere, on ebay and Aliexpress stores these adapters have only 2 Ampere effective, but that's what you need.
The cost is limited to 4 or 5 Euros

TheGrave

Newly Enlightened

I've seen different adapters come with the Maha, but if you just want to try repairing your wiring, my technique for opening glued power pack boxes is to tap the glued perimeter seam of the plastic box with a chisel and small hammer. Not hard enough to break the insides, but enough to crack the glued seam. Often I can get it apart with little or no externally visible damage.

Thanks for giving me the courage :) I used a mobile phone tool kit which opened it without much effort...but partially - upper part of the adapter case seems to be broken diagonally in 2 places. Before I destroy it completely I'll see what I can find in local electronics shops as this adapter seems to be almost history.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
As louie already wrote, the MH-C9000 expects a 12V, 2A power supply with a standardized plug that is very common. There's a chance that you might already have a suitable adapter around. My Xtar SP2 as well as an external hard drive came with adapters that are interchangeable with the Maha's.