Any cheaper Button Cell Testers using load like the ZTS MBT-1?

Prodeje79

Newly Enlightened
I will probably just suck it up and buy the nice ZTS MBT-1 for all it's uses!

Anyway, just wondering if a cheaper option that does things like the MBT-1 with the pulse load test has came around yet. I am not interested in the usual cheap junk that doesn't put a load on cell.

In my case I have a few different things using 2032 cells such as a Nvidia Shield TV Remote and Pokemon GO Pluses for the family.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the ZTS MBT-1 and use it regularly but I am always glad to have a way to "double check" values. I will be watching this thread hoping to learn more-thanks for asking this...

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx_Arc,
The info on Amazon was not very detailed-it looked like only NIMH & Alkaline Cells, can you confirm it can handle Lithium Ion Cells too? I have just not seen a load testing meter for $9 that has the capability....

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lynx_Arc,
The info on Amazon was not very detailed-it looked like only NIMH & Alkaline Cells, can you confirm it can handle Lithium Ion Cells too? I have just not seen a load testing meter for $9 that has the capability....

It just has resistors as loads and can read out voltages up to 19.99v I think as it can test 12v alkaline batteries. I don't think it matters what chemistry it is the loads stay the same regardless. The only issue would be if the load is enough to suffice or not.
I'm not sure what the loads but I think at 3V it

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
What is the switch on the side for?

That is the load setting...... L-M-H on the back is a picture of the batteries and load settings associated with them along with the ma load ratings. The tester isn't perfect but it does work and it runs off 2 AG13 button cells.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool thanks.

What are the Ohms of the different settings?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not sure of the ohms as I've looked at the board on it but lots of parts there on it digital display etc.
I could calculate the ohms as Low is 1.2v(1.5v) @ 2.5ma or 12v @ 20ma, Medium is 1.2-9vwith 20-120ma, and Hight is 1.2-1.5v at 75ma.
Ohms law of R=E/I or Ohms = V/A, Low would be 480ohms, Medium about 60 ohms and High is 16 ohms or around that range.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure of the ohms as I've looked at the board on it but lots of parts there on it digital display etc.
I could calculate the ohms as Low is 1.2v(1.5v) @ 2.5ma or 12v @ 20ma, Medium is 1.2-9vwith 20-120ma, and Hight is 1.2-1.5v at 75ma.
Ohms law of R=E/I or Ohms = V/A, Low would be 480ohms, Medium about 60 ohms and High is 16 ohms or around that range.

Thanks much for the info!

I am kind of surprised that they used the smaller resistors, you would need to be careful to have it on the right setting for the right battery.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks much for the info!

I am kind of surprised that they used the smaller resistors, you would need to be careful to have it on the right setting for the right battery.
I usually just leave it on the low scale as most batteries I test the voltage is good enough without a load and low is typically enough to see if it is sagging. Lithium ion doesn't really need a load on it to test it unless the capacity of the cells are near zero the voltage can pretty much tell you how much it is charged or not.

Latest posts