HID reflector high beams?

Ls400

Enlightened
Why do the 2015 Chevy Malibu and 2017 Hyundai Ioniq use HID reflector high beams, but HID projector low beams? This just seems like a very convoluted setup. From what I understand, HIDs require a bit of warm-up time to reach maximum intensity. And bi-xenons were (at least in part) developed to allow for an instantaneous-on HID high beam. Second, if these vehicles already had HID low-beam projectors, why not just go the whole 9 yards, trade the two extra bulbs, etc. and extra space required for a moveable shutter and redesigned projector, and use a bi-xenon setup, which is pretty common anyway?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The '15 Malibu and '17 Ioniq offered optional BiXenon projectors. There was no separate HID reflector high beam on either car.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The '15 Malibu and '17 Ioniq offered optional BiXenon projectors. There was no separate HID reflector high beam on either car.

I don't think any car has ever come from the factory with High Beam HID that was NOT also BiXenon. No dedicated HID high beam headlights.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
I read on *that other forum* that there was some Bentley? that had separate hid high beams but I may be mistaken.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't think any car has ever come from the factory with High Beam HID that was NOT also BiXenon. No dedicated HID high beam headlights.

I think the VW Phaeton did, at least in some years and on some trims. Somehow they managed to get around the slow runup time; I never really looked into it. But you're right, almost none.

Ls400

Enlightened
You are reading that wrong. It is stating that the same projector is used for both high and low beam.

No, if you scroll down you'll see the trim levels that allegedly have reflector HID high beams. Some trims are bixenon as you stated.

nk80Znj.png

Last edited: