Question for high CRI users

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
Hello again,

I am still waiting on on my first HDS to arrive (shipped, yea!) and already contemplating a second, but I am ordering my light holsters first.

my question, Do any of you use your higher CRI HDS lights for night photography work, and or light painting? I have done so in the past, and in a pinch also used flash lights as a back light or as hair spots, but was just curious as to your results with a good CRI LED.

I was looking at the High noon CRI, and thought this might fit the bill, in the past I have used Incan Executive, 6p, (before I changed to the Malkoff) and later on used various Fenix, JETBeam, etc but the colorcast of the newer lights always created a hassle in post production with white balance adjustments and skin tones and color adjustment.

Yes, I still have my flash units for my cameras, and add lighting with light boxes and reflectors, but sometimes throwing light a fair distance is handy.

thinking of adding another, thoughts?

Wade
Update,
ok, never mind, a search discovered a fellow Nikon shooter, and also another RIP fella, seemed like a great guy, with excellent examples. This site is wonderful.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-clickies-Mainly-High-CRI-**PHOTO-Intensive**

I also admire that you recognize passings of members, much like we do over at a forum I admin:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/forums/in-memoriam.67/

you all all have a classy place here too.

Last edited:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sometimes use high CRI flashlights when photographing glass art for an artist friend. Getting the right lighting can be difficult at times, and adding extra light from a flashlight can make all the difference. My most used lights for this purpose are a McGizmo Mule with Nichia 119 emitter and an HDS Rotary with a diffuser on the front and a Nichia 219b emitter inside.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
I sometimes use high CRI flashlights when photographing glass art for an artist friend. Getting the right lighting can be difficult at times, and adding extra light from a flashlight can make all the difference. My most used lights for this purpose are a McGizmo Mule with Nichia 119 emitter and an HDS Rotary with a diffuser on the front and a Nichia 219b emitter inside.

Thanks for the confirmation!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually building out a part of my collection for this purpose! In a pinch, I will use my EC65 Nichia or Meteor Nichia to give me just enough workable light for a high res, low-ISO photo. It's also great for quick instagram/ phone pics. I would just keep in mind that different emitters have different color profiles, and this often is more noticeable to the camera, than the user. So I'm sticking to 5000k LH351Ds and 219Cs for the most part (5000k is also the k temp they use for the "D50" ISO daylight standard, granted at 98+ CRI)

edit to add, in case it's relevant, the lights I use for this are:

Acebeam EC65 Nichia
Noctigon Meteor Nichia
Skylumen C8Fvn LH351D (can't wait for this one!)

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually building out a part of my collection for this purpose! In a pinch, I will use my EC65 Nichia or Meteor Nichia to give me just enough workable light for a high res, low-ISO photo. It's also great for quick instagram/ phone pics. I would just keep in mind that different emitters have different color profiles, and this often is more noticeable to the camera, than the user. So I'm sticking to 5000k LH351Ds and 219Cs for the most part (5000k is also the k temp they use for the "D50" ISO daylight standard, granted at 98+ CRI)

edit to add, in case it's relevant, the lights I use for this are:

Acebeam EC65 Nichia
Noctigon Meteor Nichia
Skylumen C8Fvn LH351D (can't wait for this one!)

Truly appreciate the info on the emitters. I think I may be the only person in Southern Missouri, that calibrates their cpu monitors weekly, I notice things like this and tints.

You also have to keep in mind color cast from the plastic diffusers on the front of the lights too if you use any, to avoid hotspots, or any reflectors. I used to have an off white piece of foam core that I used at times for warming up reflected light when shooting shaded outdoors.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
Often times you'll find one of HDS' white reflectors for sale. These will eliminate the hotspot. That, and the HiCRI 5000k light sound like something that just might cut the bill.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question is quite complicated.

Are you seeking out a high CRI light and think an HDS fits your bill or are you seeking out an HDS and hoping to have it serve a couple purposes?

The 219C used in the high noon is a great emitter but in the high CRI world it is pretty average. There is another emitter offered called the 219B R9080 which is a much higher CRI albeit offered in 4000k and 4500k, in complex and varied color photographs they would be fairly noticeably better.

I own a few High CRI HDS lights with another on order and love them dearly but I didn't buy them for this purpose. I don't want to steer you to another brand just to do so but theres better options out there emitter wise, in fact the best options out there will be lights you modify yourself to the specifications you want.

There are some folks that modify HDS lights and while not officially condoned they may get you what you want.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
This question is quite complicated.
Are you seeking out a high CRI light and think an HDS fits your bill or are you seeking out an HDS and hoping to have it serve a couple purposes?
The 219C used in the high noon is a great emitter but in the high CRI world it is pretty average. There is another emitter offered called the 219B R9080 which is a much higher CRI albeit offered in 4000k and 4500k, in complex and varied color photographs they would be fairly noticeably better.

Complicated, of course I am. I am seeking a second HDS and was wanting to verify that it is closer to possible photo needs than my current stable of lights, and the long throw HDS. I understand that ideally a Nichia 219b would be the best pure high CRI emitter, but was not necessarily wanting to wait or move brands. I have a few things on order from Hogo that gives me a reason to stick (for now) to a certain form factor.

I appreciate the discussion and recommendations on the emitter, and if things need further accuracy I appreciate the education you provided. So, I will state I was seeking the HDS with decent CRI that can be pretty good, perfect, no, but close enough compared to my past lights.

Wade

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe HDS still has N219b in 3500k 9080, 4000k 9080, and 4500k 9080
if you are nice to Hogo, he might let you have one
or
Ive been wrong before, when I thought I was mistaken.. LOL

good luck with the search

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe HDS still has N219b in 3500k 9080, 4000k 9080, and 4500k 9080
if you are nice to Hogo, he might let you have one
or
Ive been wrong before, when I thought I was mistaken.. LOL

good luck with the search

We do, but you they are reserved for the brass, bronze, and titanium runs. Once those ship, if there are any extra, they will be offered for aluminum lights.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
We do, but you they are reserved for the brass, bronze, and titanium runs. Once those ship, if there are any extra, they will be offered for aluminum lights.

yes, I saw I had missed the preorder on the titanium, but hey, I will have me a couple of customs in the stable and a few holsters with my mad money.

Plus, I have to have another reason to buy one in the future, because, that is how I sometimes roll.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
Comm...

There are somewhere near a dozen or so of both the Titanium and Naval Brass that will be available once the preorders have shipped. I also missed them, and have slowed down my purchases to hopefully pick up both lights. We should be able to snag a Brass next month and a Ti shortly thereafter. You'd then have the ability to get that 219b in several flavors in a truly limited HDS grail.