Why Not Use Rechargeable Batteries?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

At work I find myself using AAA lights most often, and I burn through batteries very quickly.

I mainly use Streamlight, ASP, and Maglite AAA lights. I recently picked up some Energizer and Eneloop rechargeable batteries with a nice charger to hopefully save some cash on batteries.

I contacted Streamlight, Maglite, and ASP to ask about the use of rechargeable batteries. So far only Streamlight replied, and they informed me that rechargeable batteries should not be used as they are a fire hazard and can damage the light.

If lights from Fenix, Surefire (Titan series), and other brands can tolerate rechargeable batteries, why is it such a big deal to use them in a Streamlight, ASP, or Maglite. I should add that in my particular lights, Streamlight and ASP indicate that lithium batteries can safely be used.

Can someone please enlighten me why rechargeable batteries should not be used?

Thanks!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you specifically say you were asking about the use of NiMH cells? It is almost impossible to set an NiMH cell on fire, but is a lot easier to do with LiIon cells.
I am using NiMH cells in almost all of my AA and AAA lights without any problems, other than they don't have the capacity of lithium primary cells. I won't use alkaline cells for anything. I have lost too many lights to alkaline leakage.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Did you specifically say you were asking about the use of NiMH cells? It is almost impossible to set an NiMH cell on fire, but is a lot easier to do with LiIon cells.
I am using NiMH cells in almost all of my AA and AAA lights without any problems, other than they don't have the capacity of lithium primary cells. I won't use alkaline cells for anything. I have lost too many lights to alkaline leakage.

I specifically stated the type and brand in my inquiry. It is reassuring that you have had a good experience with using rechargeable batteries!

Sos24

Enlightened
I use rechargeable batteries in almost all my lights. The only issue I have ever had is that certain lights cannot handle the higher voltage li-ion. I have never had a problem with Ni-Mh.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair isn't it only very recently that Surefire brought 18650 lights into their lineup? That's only been the case for several years. From what I remember hearing on CPF in the past they have military contracts for things like CR123 cells so of course they weren't eager to introduce lights with rechargeable lithium cells into their product lines.

I have a box of 12 Surefire CR123 cells for emergencies, but even in my yellow G2X Pro I use a couple 16650 cells. No use burning through those primaries just going for night walks :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flashlight companies also sell primary batteries. Food for thought.

^^^ This ^^^

However, there's also a possibility that you can burn out the flashlight if the light is really badly designed. Some really crappy lights depend on the internal resistance of alkaline batteries to limit the current to the LED. In that case, using a NiMH with a low internal resistance (like an Eneloop) could overdrive the LED and cause it to burn out prematurely.

IIRC, Maglite used to specifically warn against using NiMH in their LED lights, for that very reason. Hopefully, they've improved.

I've never had a problem using Eneloops in a light designed for alkalines, even the really cheap ones. But, I've never used them for very long, so YMMV.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many higher end lights are pretty much gas tight (O-rings and rubber switch boots). And NiMH batteries can gas hydrogen if shorted:

https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/technologies.html

[FONT=&quot]Please do not use eneloop Ni-MH batteries in underwater lights or other airtight appliances. Ni-MH batteries feature a gas vent that allows the release of hydrogen when the battery is misused. Gas will not be released under normal usage conditions, but hyper-electric discharge or short circuit can cause internal gas pressure to rise and gas to be expelled. This gas contains hydrogen and sealed devices can't diffuse the gas, so any source of ignition may potentially cause fire.[/FONT]

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243109-Eneloop-s-safe-in-Waterproof-lights

That would be my guess why some mfg. are saying no to "rechargeables" and/or NiMH specifically.

-Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Back in the day, shorting a NiCad cell was an adventure that flashlight companies probably still worry about somehow.

If there was any justice in this world, Eneloops should have completely taken over the market from all other non-lithium chemistries 10+ yrs ago ... :-/

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many higher end lights are pretty much gas tight (O-rings and rubber switch boots). And NiMH batteries can gas hydrogen if shorted:

https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/technologies.html

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243109-Eneloop-s-safe-in-Waterproof-lights

That would be my guess why some mfg. are saying no to "rechargeables" and/or NiMH specifically.

-Bill

While that may be true (though I've never heard of it occurring), it's a pretty insignificant risk. And anyone that uses any kind of lithium-ion powered device (smart phone, etc), has already decided to accept a far greater battery risk (though still pretty small).

Eneloop does state right on the package not to use their batteries in sealed devices like flashlights. That's lawyer CYA speak.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I use Eneloops in all of my flashlights. Never had an issue. And I agree, it's the lower quality technology that may have the issue. In fact, many of the lights I have specifically state that the runtime specs are when using NiMh batteries...

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the day, shorting a NiCad cell was an adventure that flashlight companies probably still worry about somehow.

If there was any justice in this world, Eneloops should have completely taken over the market from all other non-lithium chemistries 10+ yrs ago ... :-/
Yep. We have to remember that companies are always coming from a legal accountability perspective. Even if the chances of a danger with rechargeable NiMH cells is negligible, they'll still warn about them to self-absolve of any legal implications. If a flashlight company does very extensive testing to prove their design is totally safe, a battery failure should implicate the battery maker, not the flashlight maker. In this age of prolific exploitative litigation, one has to safeguard against potential abuse... It's pretty disgusting how ugly it is, where power of money significantly affects outcome of justice.

Bottom line, we can ignore such disclaimers and make sure to be an educated flashlight owner. Know your tools and your power sources.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would a flashlight manufacture recommend a battery for an application (sealed watertight flashlight) that the battery maker (eneloop) specifically warns against?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Why would a flashlight manufacture recommend a battery for an application (sealed watertight flashlight) that the battery maker (eneloop) specifically warns against?
Because there is nothing better for lawyers' paychecks than a well-funded opposing side. :-/

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does happen... And happened to ~4 people here on CPF (from my above post):

Thread from 2010. Nobody had any explosions (mostly inflated switch boots)... And I had an alkaline battery pressurize my Arc AAA flashlight a decade ago too (very difficult to unscrew the head).

Stuff happens. How much energy from a hydrogen "explosion" would be in a AA tube flashlight with 2 NiMH batteries (not much free air space) vs a diving light with a larger amount of "air space". Add pressurization (more H2 in confined space)--Don't know. Enough of an issue that some mfgs. installed catalyst and one way vents in their 4 AA and larger lights to get Class ratings.

-Bill

BRubble

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone!

At work I find myself using AAA lights most often, and I burn through batteries very quickly.

I mainly use Streamlight, ASP, and Maglite AAA lights. I recently picked up some Energizer and Eneloop rechargeable batteries with a nice charger to hopefully save some cash on batteries.

I contacted Streamlight, Maglite, and ASP to ask about the use of rechargeable batteries. So far only Streamlight replied, and they informed me that rechargeable batteries should not be used as they are a fire hazard and can damage the light.

If lights from Fenix, Surefire (Titan series), and other brands can tolerate rechargeable batteries, why is it such a big deal to use them in a Streamlight, ASP, or Maglite. I should add that in my particular lights, Streamlight and ASP indicate that lithium batteries can safely be used.

Can someone please enlighten me why rechargeable batteries should not be used?

Thanks!

Nephron,

Why Not Exactly.

I'm in the process of switching as many of my Battery Light's over to Rechargeable that I can. In my Home,, I've got 5 rechargeable Flashlight's plugged into the Wall Socket's that are fully charged if I need one,, and when the electricity goe's off the Light's will auto come on. I'm pretty sure that they are Lithium Ion Batterie's. My Cordless Groomer use's Rechargeable AA 1.2V 2800 Micro Amp Capacity NiCd's , so far so good. If you can find a Light with a built in Charger that use's the AA Size Rechargeable NiCd's with a Bright LED that might be a good Ticket.

Out in the Garage I've got a Dewalt worklight that uses Rechargeable NiCad's. I have one of the DeWalt Charger Radio's that has a Smart Charger that once the Battery is Charged, the Charger will shut off and monitor the Battery. The NiCd Battery can be left in the Radio Charger so that I'll have a fully charged Battery when I need it for my Driver's or the WorkLight. I've read enough about the Nimh's and Review's that I don't think that they are as good as the NiCd's or Lithium Ion's.

DeWalt as well as other Brand's have Smart Charger's also for Lithium Ion Batterie's.

Check out EBay & Amazon, You might find the Right Flashlight with the Lumen's that you need that are Rechargeable or one of the Tool Brand Work Light's, might have a Rechargeable LED Light that is the size, shape, and Lumen's to fit your need.

If you can find a WorkLight that will fit your need's, that might be your best bet,, cause if the Worklight isn't any good the word spread's fast not to buy that Light and Vice Versa.

Good Luck

Last edited: