jb-lite

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a good EDC light.
My requirements:
- low (~3-6 lumens)
- medium (~25-45 lumens)
- high (~90-120 lumens)
- turbo (~500-1200 lumens)
- ability to turn on to low ( or med or high) without cycling through any brighter modes
- ability to turn on to turbo without cycling through other modes
- UI that will make accident lighting or lighting with undesired mode improbable
- solid/sturdy (could be used as kubotan)
- rechargeable (directly rechargeable or uses rechargeable batteries)
Bonuses:
- sub-lumen mode
- strobe
- water resistant
- cool white

Does anyone know of something that fits this spec?

Thank you.

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
1st suggestion:
EagleTac D25C Clicky MKII
http://www.eagletac.com/html/d25crcmkii/index.html
Excellent functionality (programmable), sub-lumen output, a bunch of strobes-flash-sos, build quality, takes rechargeables, IPX-8. Locks out physically by untwisting it a bit.

2nd suggestion:
Nitecore TUP
https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tup
Output levels not exactly what you require, but well spread and lets you start from lowest/turbo. Rechargeable (built in battery). Has 2 lock out modes. Shows voltage, battery level and runtime remaining, which for me personally is a major selling point, despite huge appreciation of EagleTac's lights.
Just purchased one on ebay for unbelievable price of $29.99, although I don't expect to receive it, looks totally like a scam: seller based in Egypt, free worldwide shipping from U.S.A., item description says "Our company is located in China", just 4 ratings.

jb-lite

Newly Enlightened
The cost isn't as important. That's why l didn't mention it as a requirement. Cheaper is obviously better...

jb-lite

Newly Enlightened
I can't find any info about BOSS having the ability to start in turbo AND start in low and cycle up. I know it is programmable either way, but one of my few requirements is having both choices available at any time.

jb-lite

Newly Enlightened
How usable is the Eagletac? The online descriptions of the UI sound like a nightmare.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I can't find any info about BOSS having the ability to start in turbo AND start in low and cycle up. I know it is programmable either way, but one of my few requirements is having both choices available at any time.
Bounce would be the only way to do that

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
How usable is the Eagletac? The online descriptions of the UI sound like a nightmare.

Very usable. Subjective of course. I have an predecessor of this light, same series, and I enjoy the interface. Haven't had the hands on enough other flashlights to compare.

Group 1 (with head loosened) cycles: low>med>high>low>med>high>strobe>sos>beacon>low-flash.
Group 2 (with head tightened) cycles: max>strobe.

Group 1 is programmable, group 2 isn't.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Sounds like zebralights would fit the bill. Personal favorite of the new generation is the sc64w hi. Any mode is programable to any of the levels available but out of the box its press and hold for a little to get low and 1 click to get high. You can then select the submode with a double click. Or if you dont like that you can program it the other way around or so that 1 click is medium or whatever you want. There plenty of info on thier various models on this forum.

jb-lite

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like zebralights would fit the bill. Personal favorite of the new generation is the sc64w hi. Any mode is programable to any of the levels available but out of the box its press and hold for a little to get low and 1 click to get high. You can then select the submode with a double click. Or if you dont like that you can program it the other way around or so that 1 click is medium or whatever you want. There plenty of info on thier various models on this forum.

All the Zebralights seems to be limited to 3 modes (unless I missed a model). I'd really like to have 4.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
There are 3 main modes but each has a sub mode accesses by double click. For example, press and hold gets you low. Press and hold longer gets you medium. When in medium a double click can bring you to a lower medium. A single click or press and hokd through the whole rotation gives you high. Lets use my sc 64w hi as an example. Hold for low gets me 2.7. Hold longer gets me m2 at 21.3. If I stop on that mode then double click I get 118. One click from off gets me 1300. These numbers are all in the ball park you stated and are easy to get to quickly with minutes of practice once you figure it out. The way they are accesses can be changed as well through programing the light descriptions of which can be found on the forum.

Rockjunkie15

Newly Enlightened
Zebra lights are really nice, but due to the side switch I have accidentally turned on my sc600+ while in my pocket resulting in severely melted pants. This happens very rarely but it when it does it sucks. I really try to stay away from side switches for edc because of this, luckily there are still many tail clicky to choose from.

jb-lite

Newly Enlightened
There are 3 main modes but each has a sub mode accesses by double click. For example, press and hold gets you low. Press and hold longer gets you medium. When in medium a double click can bring you to a lower medium. A single click or press and hokd through the whole rotation gives you high. Lets use my sc 64w hi as an example. Hold for low gets me 2.7. Hold longer gets me m2 at 21.3. If I stop on that mode then double click I get 118. One click from off gets me 1300. These numbers are all in the ball park you stated and are easy to get to quickly with minutes of practice once you figure it out. The way they are accesses can be changed as well through programing the light descriptions of which can be found on the forum.

Thank you. I'll investigate more. I know all my ranges were there but l thought it was only 3 that could be programmed. I just read through the spec. I'll try to read more about usage.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about an HDS 325 CW Rotary?
You can preselect the output before you switch it on, plus three other modes are accessable by clicking. They run on Primaries as well as LI Ions. No in light charging, but that would affect the water resistance and durability. For a longer light you can use a 18680 tube.
So of all of these....
My requirements:
- low (~3-6 lumens) YES
- medium (~25-45 lumens) YES
- high (~90-120 lumens) YES
- turbo (~500-1200 lumens) 325 Max
- ability to turn on to low ( or med or high) without cycling through any brighter modes YES
- ability to turn on to turbo without cycling through other modes YES
- UI that will make accident lighting or lighting with undesired mode improbable
- solid/sturdy (could be used as kubotan) YES
- rechargeable (directly rechargeable or uses rechargeable batteries) YES
Bonuses:
- sub-lumen mode YES
- strobe YES
- water resistant YES
- cool white YES

It just doesn't have the maximum output that ypu want, but as hundreds of others have found, 325 Calibrated HDS Limens are more than enough for most tasks.

P

Zebra lights are really nice, but due to the side switch I have accidentally turned on my sc600+ while in my pocket resulting in severely melted pants. This happens very rarely but it when it does it sucks. I really try to stay away from side switches for edc because of this, luckily there are still many tail clicky to choose from.

This is definitely an issue with any side-button light carried in a pocket. The Zebralight buttons are essentially recessed, but as we know, active people can find a way to press that button. A slight turn of the tailcap (~1/4 turn) disables a Zebralight. Even a tail clicky can sometimes get turned on when moving in crazy ways, like when climbing into a treestand or at work.

To unlock a light every time you pull it from your pocket is an extra step I try to avoid. Electrical or mechanical, it's still an extra step. And I move around way too much at work and at play to have an unlocked light in my pocket. For this reason I pocket carry mostly twisties that can be operated easily with one hand. For an office job, a Zebralight in the pocket would be fine. I do use all Zebralights for headlamps, because they are awesome. :thumbsup:

NOTE: Someone please correct me if the current lineup of Zebralight pocket lights have better button protection. I also think the headlamps make great pocket lights, with far less chance of button being clicked. But if I do this, I still lockout the light with a tailcap twist.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
If using a Headlamp in pocket I would think it a lot more likely to turn on unintended than a flashlight version of the same light,I have never understood this logic?
The switch on the HL is on the end of the light much more exposed whether the light just is drifting in pocket or clipped to pocket and the HL clip is not really screwed to the HL either.

I used to have the ZL turn on in pocket until the SC52 was released and since then the button seems so much more recessed that this is just not an issue for me any more thankfully.
Also with the light clipped to the top of my pocket the switch is not facing anything in the pocket that might turn it on anyway.
I don't remember mine turning on since then even 3 times really since they were released.

I probably use my pocket EDC 100 times a day too and a manual lockout is a deal breaker for me too.
I sometimes carry an Olight Mini in the Watch pocket but these will ALWAYS turn on by themselves unless locked out at the tail on me.

This is definitely an issue with any side-button light carried in a pocket. The Zebralight buttons are essentially recessed, but as we know, active people can find a way to press that button. A slight turn of the tailcap (~1/4 turn) disables a Zebralight. Even a tail clicky can sometimes get turned on when moving in crazy ways, like when climbing into a treestand or at work.

To unlock a light every time you pull it from your pocket is an extra step I try to avoid. Electrical or mechanical, it's still an extra step. And I move around way too much at work and at play to have an unlocked light in my pocket. For this reason I pocket carry mostly twisties that can be operated easily with one hand. For an office job, a Zebralight in the pocket would be fine. I do use all Zebralights for headlamps, because they are awesome. :thumbsup:

NOTE: Someone please correct me if the current lineup of Zebralight pocket lights have better button protection. I also think the headlamps make great pocket lights, with far less chance of button being clicked. But if I do this, I still lockout the light with a tailcap twist.

Latest posts