If you had to choose... Thrunite TH30 or Zebralight H600w

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been angling to get a new headlamp... and there's a lot of choice out there these days. There is a very clear division between 2 "single piece" units available -- center mount, or handheld (the other is 2-piece with remote wired battery pack). The handheld one appeals to me more, because of the convenient option for headband or in-hand use. Sure, a center mount can be hand held, but it's cumbersome.

One thing that's really terrific with handheld "L" style headlamps is the ability to clip to a front pocket and then walk with light hands-free. Who wants to walk with a light strapped to their head, right? ;) Actually, I don't like the light moving with my head. Nice to have that independent, and then you can use your hand to tilt the light as needed.

Anyway... I've read up a good bit on the Thrunite TH30 and Zebralight H600w (and few other ZL variants). Pricing is very comparable, as the cheapest I've found the TH30 is $64, while the Zebralight is on sale for $70.

I would go ahead and pull the trigger on the TH30 because of the rechargeable port, and much greater turbo output. But, I'm a bit more conscious of tint these days and wondering if the H603w would be more preferable long term.

Yet... the one key DING for me lately is some notorious defect issues with Zebralight. I've seen more than a few people frustrated by issues. Never hear ANY issues with Thrunite. Plus, there's apparently some "tint lottery" with Zebralight too... Is this more applicable to very specific models, or is this a general issue across the brand? If the latter, I'm pretty saddened by this, because I like their design philosophy and UI.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you had to choose... Thrunite TH30 or Zebralight H603w

Sooo the ZL 603w has a different emitter setup than the TH30, in that it's more of a mule- it's just a bare LED with no reflector so it's much more of a pure flood beam than the TH30 would have with a reflector. I would think you'd want to liken the TH30 to the H600 series that has a reflector. If you are concerned with tint, I would go for the H600Fc III, it's got a reflector but a slightly frosted lens, so it pushed light out enough to be more useful, IMO, and the diffused lens helps smooth out the beam, they aren't the best high-CRI emitters, but sure better than either of the other options IMO.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also FWIW, ZL just sent me an H600Fw mkII instead of the SC64c LE I ordered, and it did have excellent tint. Very much considered asking for it, but didn't want to jump through those hoops. Turns out, their CS is a little slow....

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sooo the ZL 603w has a different emitter setup than the TH30, in that it's more of a mule- it's just a bare LED with no reflector so it's much more of a pure flood beam than the TH30 would have with a reflector. I would think you'd want to liken the TH30 to the H600 series that has a reflector. If you are concerned with tint, I would go for the H600Fc III, it's got a reflector but a slightly frosted lens, so it pushed light out enough to be more useful, IMO, and the diffused lens helps smooth out the beam, they aren't the best high-CRI emitters, but sure better than either of the other options IMO.
Thanks -- yes, I'd made a typo... meant to say H600w (which has a reflector).

Certainly it all does come down to use. I was thinking again about how I'd be using this light, and in the end I'd not likely have much need for a long throw on this -- more about short range illumination. The TH30 is not a mule, but it does have a very well distributed beam without a sharply defined hot spot. In a review video I saw, it seemed to do quite well with short range illumination, while at the same time having a nice strong throw if ever needed.

That's quite a bummer that they blundered so obviously -- sent you an H600Fw Mk II instead of the SC64c LE you ordered? It's one thing if they sent you the H600Fw instead of an H603w... but head lamp versus hand held? Wow. That's a pretty notable mistake.

koziy

Newly Enlightened

Thanks -- yes, I'd made a typo... meant to say H600w (which has a reflector).

Certainly it all does come down to use. I was thinking again about how I'd be using this light, and in the end I'd not likely have much need for a long throw on this -- more about short range illumination. The TH30 is not a mule, but it does have a very well distributed beam without a sharply defined hot spot. In a review video I saw, it seemed to do quite well with short range illumination, while at the same time having a nice strong throw if ever needed.

That's quite a bummer that they blundered so obviously -- sent you an H600Fw Mk II instead of the SC64c LE you ordered? It's one thing if they sent you the H600Fw instead of an H603w... but head lamp versus hand held? Wow. That's a pretty notable mistake.

Care to share this info with us? The headlamp I'd use while working on my car in early evening light outside is different from the headlamp I'd use while doing a project at my workbench, which is different from the headlamp I'd take on a backpacking trip where I need light around camp while preparing dinner, setting up my tent, gathering firewood and doing other camp chores. How you intend to use the headlamp is pretty important information, so I'm not sure how people can give recommendations without it.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

Care to share this info with us? The headlamp I'd use while working on my car in early evening light outside is different from the headlamp I'd use while doing a project at my workbench, which is different from the headlamp I'd take on a backpacking trip where I need light around camp while preparing dinner, setting up my tent, gathering firewood and doing other camp chores. How you intend to use the headlamp is pretty important information, so I'm not sure how people can give recommendations without it.
The types of uses can be generalized in 3 ways, I think:

• Mostly near range
  • Mostly mid to far range
  • Combination of both

I'm more on both, but long range isn't as important. Not needing this to be a search light. TH30 seems capable of doing the combo pretty well. The Zebralight H600w does both, but isn't as powerful.

On the other end of it, part of me wonders if an H603w mule might be worthwhile. I don't have any full-fledged mules... just a few TIR optic lights.

koziy

Newly Enlightened

The types of uses can be generalized in 3 ways, I think:

• Mostly near range
  • Mostly mid to far range
  • Combination of both

I mean in what situations, specifically how. Example: I can go camping and use a headlamp at near range in my tent or while eating dinner, and then use it at mid range while hiking or looking for firewood, and use it at far range while spotting animals in the woods or across a meadow. Those are the specific situations. Because I'm camping, I want the headlamp to have certain characteristics that I don't necessarily care about for other situations, such as superior waterproofing (USB ports with flimsy rubber flaps are a deal killer) and the ability to use a common battery that can be resupplied at a gas station or general store (the more remote the camping destination, the more difficult it is to charge a lithium ion battery, but it's not so hard to get myself to a gas station that sells alkaline AA's). If I am going to take the headlamp spelunking, as another example, I want it to have superior durability. If I'm working on projects outdoors in my own yard, then I want other characteristics, like a floody beam so my eyes don't get worn out any more than they have to and a comfortable headband that doesn't leave a mark on my forehead.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

My usage of the light will be quite varied. Mostly for short range illumination and occasionally mid range. I might clip it on my head or chest and use it to illuminate an attic or basement while I use my hands for things. Or I might take it with me walking in the woods.

I'd looked over the H600w and H600Fw a little closer, and they seem very comparable. With a filter on the H600w, it can display very similarly to the H600Fw. The TH30 looks to have a pretty nice neutral white tinted emitter with even spill. There is a hot spot, but of course a filter could homogenize the beam even further.