G2 Mod Questions

BeauD82

Newly Enlightened
I bought a G2 the other day for 20 bucks. I have since bought the z44 head and a remote switch for it as I want to use it for hunting at night. My question is about some modifications I am looking into like the body extender. How many 123 batteries can I run? Can they be Run so to extend the usage time instead of upping the volts? say for instance can I run 4 123 batteries giving me 12v on the stock bulb?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock bulb will only take 6 volts, (2) CR123 batteries. Anything more will blow the stock bulb. When you take it apart, the bulb is a regular incandescent bulb, right? It should say "P60" on a blue band on the side. If whatever you're mounting it to has a lot of recoil, the stock bulb might not last long. If you want to stay incan, get a shock-isolated bezel. The Surefire Z32 shock bezel is a good upgrade for a weaponlight. You can run a Surefire P90 on three CR123 batts but they're getting rare.

If you want to go LED....

Since it sounds like you got a metal Z44 bezel, you can run a Malkoff M61. I have one on my 870 and it's solid.
https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.c.../products/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff

If you snag an extender, like the Surefire A19 or any of the clone parts, you can run three or four CR123's behind a Malkoff M91B which will give you PLENTY of output...
https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.c...volts/products/m91b-dropin-to-fit-surefire-9p

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Lumensfactory should also list some 9v incan bulbs. HO-9, EO-9? I don't know of any 12v incan P60's, but I'd PM or email LF if you really want to go that way. Maybe he can build you some...

The only "added runtime" type P60 setups I know of were Fivemega M@glites, bored with a P60 head IIRC.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm mistaken, not all generations of the A19 will mate properly with a G2. The by-far-most-commonly-encountered A19 will not work with a G2. This "later generation" A19 has a surface that has a "step" after extending out from each end of the knurling. An earlier generation does not have a "step" in the surface (except where it reduces in diameter for the visibly-threaded end). This earlier version apparently will work with a G2. In the 12 years I have been on the forum, I think that I have only seen one of these earlier A19 units come up for sale once. It is a shame that Surefire never made a nitrolon version of the A19 that would work with the nitrolon series.

BeauD82

Newly Enlightened
The stock bulb will only take 6 volts, (2) CR123 batteries. Anything more will blow the stock bulb. When you take it apart, the bulb is a regular incandescent bulb, right? It should say "P60" on a blue band on the side. If whatever you're mounting it to has a lot of recoil, the stock bulb might not last long. If you want to stay incan, get a shock-isolated bezel. The Surefire Z32 shock bezel is a good upgrade for a weaponlight. You can run a Surefire P90 on three CR123 batts but they're getting rare.

If you want to go LED....

Since it sounds like you got a metal Z44 bezel, you can run a Malkoff M61. I have one on my 870 and it's solid.
https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.c.../products/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff

If you snag an extender, like the Surefire A19 or any of the clone parts, you can run three or four CR123's behind a Malkoff M91B which will give you PLENTY of output...
https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.c...volts/products/m91b-dropin-to-fit-surefire-9p

How close are they to the claimed 400 lumens? Or the m91 1000 lumens?
I did get the z44 to go with that m61 bulb.
I have found a housing that will hold 4 of the 123 batteries. That's why I've been asking. Also found an extender that will hold the 18650 or two 123. No my g2 is not bored out.

So you are saying the z44 is no good for weapon mounting? Even if I use the m61 or 91?
I had this light about 15 years ago with the p61 bulb and it was pretty badass. Best light I ever used at that time. Would like to see atleast a good 100yards and know what I'm looking at without guess about what eyes I'm seeing

BeauD82

Newly Enlightened
Re-read the quote that you posted. He said ok using Z44 with Malkoff M61, M91.

Bill

Yes but it isnt in the context of weapon mounting. His comment directly states for the led regarding the z44. You could argue that it is implied but I would rather know than just assume.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clarification: since this is the incan forum, I wanted to mention if you want to use the stock incan bulb and not an LED, you might want to find a shock-bezel instead of the regular Z44. Depending on how much pounding it will take, it's more of a belt and suspenders thing rather than a need. Some people run regular G2's on carbines with no issues. If you use an LED module, especially a robust unit like a Malkoff, the Z44 is good to go! Also wanted to make double-dog sure you had a metal Z44 since the plastic lens of a stock nitrolon G2 can melt with sustained use of a higher powered LED module. Gene Malkoff went so far as to offer an M61L as a lower powered module safe for the G2.

Novice is right about A19 connectivity. Back in the day, I actually slightly bent up the edge of the metal tube at the tailcap end of my G2 to connect with the A19 I had so I could run a P90.

It's all good. Being pedantic about weaponlight components is something I take pride in!🤪k

Last edited:

BeauD82

Newly Enlightened
Clarification: since this is the incan forum, I wanted to mention if you want to use the stock incan bulb and not an LED, you might want to find a shock-bezel instead of the regular Z44. If you use an LED module, the Z44 is good to go! Also wanted to make double-dog sure since the plastic lens of a stock nitrolon G2 can melt with sustained use of a higher powered LED module. Gene Malkoff went so far as to offer an M61L as a lower powered module safe for the G2.

Novice is right about A19 connectivity. Back in the day, I actually bent up the edge of the metal tube at the tailcap end of my G2 to connect with the A19 I had so I could run a P90.

It's all good. Being pedantic about weaponlight components is something I take pride in!🤪

I'm just trying to make sure I understand this correctly

If I run the m61 or m91 I might melt the lens on my z44?
The z44 is already on it. That's a done thing. Or do I need the z32 for the recoil? It will be primarily used for hunting. 22 maybe 223. Highly doubt it will go on my 7mm08.

BeauD82

Newly Enlightened
By the time I'm done buying crap for this light it might end up back as a g2 and I have a completely new customized light.
I found a sight that sells extension tubes that they claim fit the g2. They are not surefire parts. Same site also sells longer bodies that fit 3 or four 123s. But if the m61 or m91 does work on 12v then the extension tube nor the 4 battery body is needed.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
If you extended it you could run 2x16650? The Sanyo ur16650zta goes up to 4.35v so two would be 8.7 tops, plus it'd be rechargeable. For what that's worth.

P220C

Newly Enlightened
I have a g2 led mounted to an AR that works really well.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several thoughts:
First off, Lumens Factory sells UCL glass lenses for the G2, if you haven't already replaced yours.
Second, apparently, the Z44 came in two versions, Nitrolon and metal. Since the metal version was introduced to handle the higher temperatures of more powerful LEDs, it came with a glass lens. The context suggests the the Nitrolon version of the Z44 had the same plastic lens as the G2.
Third, unless one is shooting Long Rifle magnums in their .22, the recoil is very slight, and should not affect a standard G2, although prolonged use will probably shorten somewhat the life of an incan bulb.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm mistaken, not all generations of the A19 will mate properly with a G2. The by-far-most-commonly-encountered A19 will not work with a G2. This "later generation" A19 has a surface that has a "step" after extending out from each end of the knurling. An earlier generation does not have a "step" in the surface (except where it reduces in diameter for the visibly-threaded end). This earlier version apparently will work with a G2. In the 12 years I have been on the forum, I think that I have only seen one of these earlier A19 units come up for sale once. It is a shame that Surefire never made a nitrolon version of the A19 that would work with the nitrolon series.

I had this issue with the nitrolon version of the A19 (can't remember the model designation of the nitrolon version). Sent it to Surefire and they sent me back the light with the proper nitrolon adapter. So it must relate to both versions.