Why did you sell your HDS light(s) and do you regret it?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a total of six (6) HDS lights since my first one in 2014. They included:

1. Tactical
2. High CRI 219b 4000K Executive
3. High CRI 219b 4000K Rotary
4. High CRI 219b 4500K R9080 Executive
5. UV Executive
6. High CRI 219c 5700 High Noon Executive

Since 2014 I sold two of these lights - the Tactical and the Rotary. I found that the Tactical was awesome but I liked the High CRI lights much more. Sold the Rotary because I wanted fewer moving parts to increase longevity and durability.

I do not regret the sales. Both were excellent lights. I simply wanted to limit my ownership to four (4) lights in total and the remaining four are the ones I prefer the most.

Robe

Enlightened
I purchased a total of six (6) HDS lights since my first one in 2014. They included:

1. Tactical
2. High CRI 219b 4000K Executive
3. High CRI 219b 4000K Rotary
4. High CRI 219b 4500K R9080 Executive
5. UV Executive
6. High CRI 219c 5700 High Noon Executive

Since 2014 I sold two of these lights - the Tactical and the Rotary. I found that the Tactical was awesome but I liked the High CRI lights much more. Sold the Rotary because I wanted fewer moving parts to increase longevity and durability.

I do not regret the sales. Both were excellent lights. I simply wanted to limit my ownership to four (4) lights in total and the remaining four are the ones I prefer the most.

I had a 170n that I sold to buy a 200n. I then got the 2700K special and sold the 200.

No plans to sell the 2700 unless there's a brighter version of the same tint.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold
4000 xpl- too warm
4000 219- too warm
An old clicky- too blue
May sell 5000 xpg3 - too green

No regerts

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sold, but I traded my first HDS which was an Executive 250. Don't regret it because I still have an Executive 140. My other HDS is a Rotary 4000K which is never going to be sold. The two are all the HDS I need...for now!

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
I've sold several HDS lights. I regret selling the 2 Ti clickies. I ended up losing money in the long run.

Stoneking

Enlightened
Bought and sold many HDS Lights.
It took me a while to find the right emitter and form factor.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sold two. Executive clicky 140 and an Executive Clicky 4000k 219B (old stock). Sold the 140 because of off-center emitter (my OCD) and I was looking for Hi CRI. I don't regret selling it. Sold the 219B because I bought a High Noon and then a 4500k and disliked having a 3-way decision. But yeah, I kind of regret that second sale.

Update: OG 219B 4000k is back!

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only sold one HDS flashlight: the high noon rotary. I've only bought one HDS flashlight twice: the high noon rotary.

What does that tell you?

(That HDS gave us new internals and I chose different bezel and tail cap options? Correct!)

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the course of many years, I've owned nine HDS lights in both clicky and rotary form (v-thread and ACME thread) and with many different LEDs. I sold every single one of them and have never had regret in doing so.

I've done reviews of the lights in other areas of CPF and have more than put the lights I owned through their paces. There were plenty of really good things about the lights - and just as many not so good things about them. Irregular machining work, a missing lens, firmware problems, delays in light delivery after being paid moths ahead of time and other things that I felt a $150 light, then a $200 light, and finally a $300+ light should not have had, aside, my primary reason for getting out of the HDS game had to do with lumens. Even now, reading about a "long throw 325 lumen" light as some sort of an "improvement" has me realizing that "been there, done that" has never been more apropos.

It was, however, a good experience for me owning those flashlights. It helped me realize the true value of lights for me and what was ultimately most important in my mind.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Have bought / sold a few Ra & HDS lights. The one I really regret parting with was the Twisty 85-Tr; that was a pretty awesome and unique light.

With a couple of Rotaries in the current stable, I think I am just about set. That was probably my biggest issue -- trying to remember all the clicks and presses with the Clicky lights to get the desired output. No such problems now! :D

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Over the course of many years, I've owned nine HDS lights in both clicky and rotary form (v-thread and ACME thread) and with many different LEDs. I sold every single one of them and have never had regret in doing so.

I've done reviews of the lights in other areas of CPF and have more than put the lights I owned through their paces. There were plenty of really good things about the lights - and just as many not so good things about them. Irregular machining work, a missing lens, firmware problems, delays in light delivery after being paid moths ahead of time and other things that I felt a $150 light, then a $200 light, and finally a $300+ light should not have had, aside, my primary reason for getting out of the HDS game had to do with lumens. Even now, reading about a "long throw 325 lumen" light as some sort of an "improvement" has me realizing that "been there, done that" has never been more apropos.

It was, however, a good experience for me owning those flashlights. It helped me realize the true value of lights for me and what was ultimately most important in my mind.

As much as I love HDS lights (and I truly do) your points are very valid and unfortunately true.HDS lights imo are great lights and I think they also will be but, there kinda like apple iPhones while others companies are making huge strides in software and storage and better this and that and apple iPhones come out with a new color and every one looses there minds and stands in line for days to get one.HDS lights are what they are love them or hate them I guess.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've sold several have one up right now I thought I would keep but I've settled on my rotary. Really just bought several to find what I like. I love my rotary and will probably never replace it. I can think of several other things I can use my money for besides clicky HDS flashlights. If I have one that I love I don't need another. I'm not a collector I just like things that work.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've sold several have one up right now I thought I would keep but I've settled on my rotary. Really just bought several to find what I like. I love my rotary and will probably never replace it. I can think of several other things I can use my money for besides clicky HDS flashlights. If I have one that I love I don't need another. I'm not a collector I just like things that work.

Oh were it only so simple for me?

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
I regret selling my first HDS ever, a rotary with the discontinued 219b 4000k emitter. Shame on me, that light went everywhere with me. However I still own a few cool HDS so I can support it.