Legal restrictions on additional/driving lights?

ameli0rate

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find the legal restrictions on how many driving lights and in what configuration they can be for cars in the US. I'm perusing the FMVSS 108 link from the pinned post, but can't seem to find anything that specifies "maximum of" and "must be placed at least".

Are there such restrictions?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Auxiliary "driving" lamps, like fog lamps, are regulated by each state -- not by a Federal regulation. So you'd have to specify what state's laws you're interested in. Note that what matters is what state the vehicle is registered in, not where it's driven.

ameli0rate

Newly Enlightened
Ooooh! Thanks, that explains why I struck out with the federal laws. I'm curious specifically about Ohio, but is there a proper term I need to search for? "auxiliary lighting configuration" or something, so I can google the same thing for different states as my curiosity arises?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
a nugget from my state of Pennsylvania- Any and all non-OEM aux lighting must be covered (not translucent filters, covered.) if you're on pavement.

That's not actually true or correct. PA Title 75, Chapter 43, Section 4303, paragraph "f" (here) requires that off-road lights, mounted to a vehicle's roof or roll bar, must be covered when the vehicle is being operated on public roads. There is no such requirement applied to any other category of auxiliary lighting. PA Code § 175.66, which sets forth requirements for passenger car lighting and electrical systems (here), covers auxiliary lamps such as the original poster here in this thread asked about (fog lamps, etc) in paragraph "l" as in "lamp", and there is no requirement for opaque covers on such lamps, though subparagraph 9 does repeat the opaque-cover requirement for off-road lamps mounted to a vehicle roof or roll bar when operated on public roads.