Thrunite TN35 versus ???

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Anybody that owns the Thrunite TN35 how do you like it? Pros and cons, etc. I'm looking for comparable lights to this and checking it the options. I can get this light for $70 is it worth it? Looking for something with 475-550 mergers of throw. Give it take a little bit on the upper side of the throw. Thanks - blglov

parametrek

Enlightened
It was best of class 5 years ago. It is still a decent light but there are better models.

• Control rings are not that common
  • 2750 lumens isn't that much by modern standards
  • But it can sustain high output pretty nicely
  • 518 meters of throw isn't that impressive for an 80mm bezel size
  • The MT-G2 has possibly one of the prettiest tints Cree has ever made
  • But it is low CRI

At $70 it isn't bad. But if all you want is throw there are cheaper smaller lights on the market:

• Wowtac A4 is $40 with 750 meters throw.
  • Eagletac M25C2 is $61 with 498 meters of throw.
  • Nitecore P30 is $65 with 619 meters throw.
  • Thrunite Catapult V6 is $75 with 750 meters throw.

Of those the A4 and Catapult have XHP35 HI emitters which are usually pretty good for tint.

harro

Enlightened
Just adding to what parametrek says,

* The MT-G2 is pretty rare in a flashlight these days. Maybe nice to have, for that reason.
* Thrunite had some nice build quality back then, and the TN35 was no exception.
* Time and flashlight design marches on. There are better and smaller lights if it is going
to be used on a regular basis. If its a collector, and occasional use, then so be it.

ven

Flashaholic
For $70.......................yes! Its still as good today as it was years back. The MT-G2 5000k is an awesome die, floody with some punch. Around 3000lm iirc, nicely made to boot. Can not go wrong for that money imho. Today we have higher output, more efficient LED's like the xhp70.2 to name one, but not a patch on a quality beam/tint for me. The MT-G2 to my eyes is much cleaner/nicer.

I would say your pushing it a bit near 500m, i would say a good 150m of decent visibility. Broad bright spill though from this light. If more throw or a more throw bias light, maybe look at some xhp35 HI offerings(4-5k is v nice). Lower lumen(around 1800-2000 ish) but a further reaching beam.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
The TN35 is a nice light, but it's not a thrower.
The LED has a very large die area, that makes for a floody beam even with the big reflector. Under realistic circumstances, you will not get 500m of throw out of it.

I have a TN35 (~2500 lm - 70,000 cd) and a saabluster modified TN31 (~900 lm - 500,000 cd). They share the same external dimensions. If I'm going out for a walk and am willing to bring a large flashlight, I will usually prefer the TN35 over the TN31, because a specialized thrower is not all that useful for most purposes.

I quite like the TN35. It's very solid. It's got well spaced modes including a nice moonlight.
I like the control ring + tail clicky user interface, too. It offers momentary, it lets you select your desired mode before turning the light on, but is simple enough that people immediately get it when you hand them the light. Personally I could do without the strobe, but it doesn't annoy me since it doesn't get in the way.
What I don't like about it is that the body diameter is a bit too large for me to hold comfortably in an overhand position, which makes the tactical switch a bit less useful. But that's the price you have to pay for 3x18650.

Granted, time has marched on, LEDs have gotten a bit more efficient since the TN35 was introduced and flashlights are driven ever harder on turbo mode, but 2500 lumens is still a hell of a punch. I remember when we got excited about LED flashlights that were rated 200 lm but actually put out like 150.

$70 is a good price. I paid $105 for mine about a year ago (new from thrunite's web store), which I considered a good price back then.

Last edited:

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
It was best of class 5 years ago. It is still a decent light but there are better models.

• Control rings are not that common
  • 2750 lumens isn't that much by modern standards
  • But it can sustain high output pretty nicely
  • 518 meters of throw isn't that impressive for an 80mm bezel size
  • The MT-G2 has possibly one of the prettiest tints Cree has ever made
  • But it is low CRI

At $70 it isn't bad. But if all you want is throw there are cheaper smaller lights on the market:

• Wowtac A4 is $40 with 750 meters throw.
  • Eagletac M25C2 is $61 with 498 meters of throw.
  • Nitecore P30 is $65 with 619 meters throw.
  • Thrunite Catapult V6 is $75 with 750 meters throw.

Of those the A4 and Catapult have XHP35 HI emitters which are usually pretty good for tint.
i own the catapult V6 already. I was thinking I wanted a light with around that throw and flood. It's a pretty good mix of both right on the tn35?