Olight S1 Mini Baton -- magnet problem fixed

wosser

Newly Enlightened
The Olight S1 Mini Baton is often criticised for it's pathetic tailcap magnet. Almost every youtube review I've seen complains about it.

The magnet itself is a cheap piece of garbage, it's a neodymium (or similar looking nickel coated) ring type but it is diametrically polarised, weirdly.

The new magnet I selected is a N35 grade 18mm diameter, 3mm thick disc magnet from Amazon. Fits nicely on the end of the light and isn't so powerful that it'll attack your wristwatch every time you put the light in your pocket!

Here's how I fixed mine...

• Unscrew the tailcap
  • Peel off the black plastic sticker that covers the magnet
  • Put the tailcap down on a piece of clean scrap-wood and use a small hammer and a nail to carefully shatter the magnet (this makes it much easier to remove)
  • Pluck out the broken pieces with a pair of tweezers and scrape off the remains of the silicone adhesive that held it (picture below)
  • Clean out the tailcap and threads with isopropyl (or rubbing) alcohol.
  • Clean the outside flat face of the tailcap, and the new magnet with the alcohol.
  • Mix up a very small amount of 2-part epoxy (I use Araldite, 14 hour curing), and apply it neatly to the outside of the tailcap, in the middle.
  • Carefully line up the magnet with the tailcap and clamp it in place.
  • Leave it overnight in a warm place where it can't be disturbed.

Tailcap, minus magnet...
46215818594_dcfec6fd7e_o.jpg

Finished...
46026400105_75f9189aa6_z.jpg

But does it work?
33065034158_130e03ed6a_z.jpg

Yeah, does the job. That's an Olight S30R Baton III dangling from the S1's lanyard. :)

It also tailstands better now because the centre of gravity is moved slightly towards the tailcap. Bonus!

Last edited: