Flashy Flashlight

camps23

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
First post on here but I have been browsing for months...
I use a flashlight everyday for work. I'm a service worker for an air separation company and work in lot of remote areas sometimes in early mornings and evenings. I also love hiking through the bush tracking animals.
I have only one "real" flashlight and looking to expand on my collection with multiple different use and style flashlights.
Fenix PD35 850lm - This light is a few years old and shows some wear, at the moment it is my EDC but finds its way in my tool bag alot as its getting more and more scratched up.
Sofirn SP31 V2 1200lm - This light was ordered a few weeks ago and is waiting to come in. Cheap option with good reviews. May through it in my work truck as a backup.
Convoy S2+ SST20 4000K - Ordered at the same time as the Solfirn. Cheap and wanted to see what the hype was about.

Now that I have had a quality flashlight like the PD35 I'm looking for more quality lights. I have the two cheaper lights ordered and possibly adding a BLF A6 to that list as well.
What are my best options for a quality EDC light that I plan to leave on my night table to charge and use throughout the night and then load in my pocket for after work and weekends ?
I want this light to be more for my hiking adventures then work. I will continue with the PD35 and SP31 for work activities.

I'm looking for the whole package...flashy looks, features, high lumen and excellent build quality. I like built in charging but that isn't a must. Budget is hopefully around 125$CDN at most. One thing to note is I live in Canada and prices are higher and some models are harder to get.

So far I have had my eyes on OLIGHT as they have a Canadian website. I also like the charging stand that would work great for night stand charging.
M2R - 1500lm (125$)
S2R II - 1150lm (90$)
S30R III - 1050lm (sale for 95$)

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore has a whole line of lights that have USB charging builtin [their MH line] as well as being able to use Li-Ion cells charged elsewhere. They also have a couple of lights with charging stands. The R25 is within your budget, and the charger can be mounted in a vehicle as well as used at home.
You might want to look at something like the Nitecore Tip or the TUP would be a good secondary light, although the TUP might make a good primary light as well. Both are USB rechargeable so they can be charged both at home, in your vehicle, or from a power bank.

This one is a little further afield [no built-in charging] but the Lumintop GT Mini would be a nice light to EDC. It fits into a belt holster quite comfortably, and used one 18650 cell. In another month or so they will also be announcing the GT Micro, which is a little smaller and uses a 14500 cell.

Keitho

Enlightened
For bling on a budget, the emisar line might be worth a look. No USB charging, but copper/titanium and many color options. Nice outputs, too.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Hi All,
First post on here but I have been browsing for months...
I use a flashlight everyday for work. I'm a service worker for an air separation company and work in lot of remote areas sometimes in early mornings and evenings. I also love hiking through the bush tracking animals.)....

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

I would *strongly* recommend adding a headlamp to your collection! Even a hardware-store Energizer puts out a couple hundred lumens for a long time - incredibly useful when you need both hands for anything. Doesn't have to be a 4000-lumen monster, even 3 x AAA batteries would be a great help on the job. ( Back in my steelmaking days, one of our electricians purchased an incandescent headlamp to mount on his hard hat...he had to work on cranes in a dark and dusty melt shop, and even that 1980's tech was a great help.)

Just a thought. Happy shopping!

Bill

MX421

Enlightened
The Fenix PD35 was what got me started on my last flashlight buying frenzy. Great light!

I have an Olight S30 in titanium and love it. Although the tint is a little cool for me, its a great light that finds its ways into my EDC rotation quite frequently, quite frankly more than the Fenix as i really like the UI better on the Olight.

Zebralights are expensive in comparison to the budget lights you seem to be looking at, but they are what ended my flashlight buying frenzy leaving me feeling satisfied. The UI is my favorite and the newer UI makes it even better.

Agree with the kitchen panda on a headlamp as well. Hands free is the way to go when doing work. There are a lot of options, but for me, I'd go straight to a Zebralight H600 and if i needed something for close-up work only, i'd have a H604c as well (i use a H604c and a H600Fc together to light my immediate work area)

Have fun shopping!

wosser

Newly Enlightened
I can strongly recommend the Olight S30R III. An awesome thrower with a nice side button and user interface. Also has a good half turn tail-cap lockout.

Had one as my EDC since mid September, I just drop it in my jeans pocket and it just doesn't get in the way. The belt clip is lens-upwards (e.g. baseball cap compatible) which I don't really use but the clip itself is useful for helping you find the switch quickly, so that's fine. Also stops the light rolling around on a slope.

I think the light intensities are very well chosen and add a lot of versatility. The battery is a high quality one and lasts ages with frequent use.

Turbo mode is extremely intense.

Last edited: