Recommendations for a round driving light

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a pair of round driving lights for my truck. I don't like the looks of the LED lights where the case is filled with led's. A single LED wouldn't be bad though. I like the looks of the HID lights so something along those lines and preferably as bright as possible.

thank you!

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a pair of round driving lights for my truck. I don't like the looks of the LED lights where the case is filled with led's. A single LED wouldn't be bad though. I like the looks of the HID lights so something along those lines and preferably as bright as possible.

thank you!
They aren't round and they have 6 LEDS, come in both white or black housings with a bail bracket Whelen Pioneer nano ,the lens can be smoked or clear they come with three optics an 8 degree spot and then 2 different style flood ,each light puts out 1800 lumen , there are things like PAR 46 round lights with housings however in there aircraft lighting catalog they have them putting out more light via the "Procleara" silicone optics than current polycarbarbonate optics I believe they are Promethiase line ,that just have not been upgraded in automotive line yet , i don't know how bright you want to go there are considerable more lumens available in the pioneer line every step up comes with some outrageous lumens all the way up to the dual spot and flood brow lights made mostly vehicle specific for for various chassis designs ,if you want them to flash & steady burn you have to use the (Pioneer) Pflasher it's got the capacity to dissipate the heat ,although the nano are only 1.5 amp ,if you go to the Whelen website you can dowload the pioneer series catalog PDF it also has actual beam shots with marked tardage on a simulated fireground to actual anylyze what light you like as well as photos of thermal intensity mapping of the spot vs fill radius , and again the Round ones such as PAR dont have that all documented but i believe they are in both DOT & wrecker/towing/recovery catalog PDF , i also know a ton of guys who use Rigid & Timberline ,when Whelen says Heavy duty professional unconditional warranty it fails they fix ,i have never had it back working in service in any longer than 2 weeks so I stick by them American made can be claimed if 78 % is American, whelen makes 98 % in house the only think it buys is copper to melt and make wires , the rest is done in house in Chester CT or New Hampshire. If you have round opening that are four inch most guys adapt the 3.5" series up because then you have warning when desired and driving white light the rest of the time the actual 4 " do not have that ability yet? Hope this helps ,if you have any other question ask away.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
i just dont think LED's and especially large LED light bars look good on a G. kind of like putting an led light bar on a 79 Bronco. it just looks out of place. My plan is to install 2 round lights on the bar in the center so that they would line up with the existing headlights and have a nice traditional look.

thanks for the Whelen recommendation. im going to order some utility lights from them for the back and sides of the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
They aren't large the nano is only like 3 inches wide by like 2"tall, pardon the lousy pic but that is the nano in the picture , although i tend to agree a round would look more authentic , also for a small utility work light that is stupid btight for rear or side enhancement consider the Whelen Micron put it on an L bracket under the rear bumper and you won't notice them until you turn them on and its like daylight there a little over .50" thick and I I want to say 9/16th" tall crazy bright lights and at around $50 bucks cant be beat , they will easily put out double the light of a standard back up light (if you connect them to reverse lights put a 100 onm resistor inline to keep them from "hyperflashing" .

Last edited by a moderator:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a set of LED Cibie SuperOscars. There are a few sizes/outputs, I have the 75kcd super oscars. They're pretty blue, 6500k LED's, unfortunately, but they are a great set of lamps to drive behind.

They use two LED's, mounted 180* from each other, each facing a reflector, so, pretty traditional looking in comparison to a lot of the lamps out there.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Cibie LED Oscars are a good pick in round LED lamps that don't have the "compound insect eyes" look you're trying to avoid. They come in a variety of configurations:
7-inch, black housing/chrome rim
7-inch, black housing/black rim
7-inch, chrome housing/chrome rim
9-inch, black housing/chrome rim
9-inch, black housing/black rim
9-inch, chrome housing/chrome rim

The 7-inch units have peak intensity of 75,000 candela with beam width 131 ft and beam length 1213 ft; the 9-inchers give 125,000 candela with beam width 164 ft and length 1640 ft.

The Hella Rallye 4000 LED is another worthy item, ditto the Rallye 4000X and the Rallye 4000 Compact.

Another option, which would give you aux low beam + aux high beam functions, would be to get two of these housings, throw away the sealed beams that come in them, and direct-drop swap in a pair of these or these (or, if you take this vehicle out playing in the wintertime, you'd want the heated-lens version).

While you're at it, you might want to pay some attention to the bulbs in your main headlamps. HID bulbs gradually drop in intensity with accumulated hours of runtime, and there are better bulbs available now (these).

Last edited: