When was the last time you saw an incan in the wild?

Minimoog

Enlightened
The years roll by and apart from car headlights I never see the 'homely' look of a bulb lighting the way for anyone any more. Until this weekend. I was walking across the dark park and had my 1981 'Ever Ready Solar 2000' doing sterling work lighting my way (plastic body, 2C, 1 Watt), when I see someone coming the other way. They then turned on their torch and as we passed I noted that the beams were almost identical - same vacuum bulb beam and honey colour light. It really made my day!

So they are out there still. When was the last time you saw that distinctive bulb glow from a passerby? Hopefully recently!

Lumen83

Enlightened
The years roll by and apart from car headlights I never see the 'homely' look of a bulb lighting the way for anyone any more. Until this weekend. I was walking across the dark park and had my 1981 'Ever Ready Solar 2000' doing sterling work lighting my way (plastic body, 2C, 1 Watt), when I see someone coming the other way. They then turned on their torch and as we passed I noted that the beams were almost identical - same vacuum bulb beam and honey colour light. It really made my day!

So they are out there still. When was the last time you saw that distinctive bulb glow from a passerby? Hopefully recently!

I saw a ryobi flashlight recently, one of the ones that come in the kits with the drill and run off the same batteries as the drill, being used on a jobsite. I was inspecting it with my Surefire 6P incan and I almost stopped to chat, but I didn't think anyone there was really interested in flashlights. But, ya it was suprising to see an incan in the wild. Not sure what the back story was, whether it was just a light that they always used and had a bunch of bulbs for, or if for some reason whatever they were doing is a better use case for incan light.

cp2315

Enlightened
One hospital I work in still use this as there safety/emergency light.

Rayovac IN2-KMLC 2D Industrial Flashlight w/Krypton Bulb & Magnet

But really, other than me using my incan lights, I have not seen one used in the wild for a long time.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Cheers.

Its sad to me that 100 years worth of portable lighting history and evolution has been pretty much expunged from people's lives. I don't see any either really. I do use them of course but only twice have they been commented on. Once when using a chrome 1930's 2D some older gent commented to his wife as they passed 'look at that torch' and once with a 1910 Ever Ready oak handlamp the barlady asked 'did you make that?'

Shame we don't see more but can't be helped.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
At work! All aircrafts have emergency INCAN torches. At least my fleet

Same with my fleet. In fact all instrumentation, landing, nav, and taxi lights are incan. Old aircraft were certified with this stuff and thus have to maintain it unless they go through a certification process .... for each bulb.

I was working for a different airline back around 2005 when LEDs were starting to become popular. Our FAA POI actually forbid the use of LEDs in our personal flashlights and held us back in the Stone Age for another 5 years. Some people are just slow to adapt.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Our maintenance guy at work has a mag 2 c incandescent he uses all the time . I have no clue why because every time he starts working on something he comes to me and borrows one of mine says his isn't bright enough.🤔

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pilots emergency torches...
4c71b3da8ea921de29eafe386b7b8d3a.jpg
251f7a497945b7ba6ce6f74f29f2413a.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well no electronics or complicated Switch just a tube batteries and a bulb. I like it

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Funny thing, the other night I was walking around a harbor in a city that revitalized several blocks in the last decade and there was a fellow using an incan Mag D to spot his dogs poop to clean it up.

Later that night I saw this thread. Looked like a 3D size. Now just a few blocks away isn't so friendly so I'm supposing that's why the D sized flashlight.

And the waist high harbor lights are incan.

IMG-20190208-153950.jpg

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know most of the home inspectors here in our area all still use the Streamlight Scorpion Incan.

Great little light, I have one and use the other bulb base from a Stinger and bulb and run it off of a single 16650.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiking some months back I saw a guy with a 3-D cell maglite strapped to his backpack. Looked like an old ican. Incan/led aside I thought what a huge light to hump around hiking/camping.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Cheers for the input. Interesting stuff - and pleased to see incan still has a place in peoples day to day life. Long ,may it continue!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
2017. A friend used one on a paranormal investigation we attended. A dollar store cheapie. I did see an incan Mag Light at Walmart recently.

scout24

Flashaholic
Every time I go into my local Home Depot I swing by the flashlight/lantern section to see what's in blister-pack land. They still have two or three incan Mags, but the vast majority of what's available is LED... Same for my Wal Mart. There is a local non-chain hardware store where I can still get incan Mag bulbs over the counter, though. 😁

1979lee

Newly Enlightened
Every time I go into my local Home Depot I swing by the flashlight/lantern section to see what's in blister-pack land. They still have two or three incan Mags, but the vast majority of what's available is LED... Same for my Wal Mart. There is a local non-chain hardware store where I can still get incan Mag bulbs over the counter, though. 
my local ace hardware had the magnumstar II xenon bulbs for $4.59!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mother still has an eveready 2 d-cell she was using during a power outage a few days ago. My head is still spinning from the artifacts and flickering.