Need a powerful house light! Been out the game for a while!

strideredc

Enlightened
As above for our new house, need something that can live on the kitchen side and be grabbed, clicked on and have throw/spill/runtime... this is a tool not a babied light! weight and size not an issue, Hummmm... THB a 4d cell mag size could be good if you know what i mean?:rolleyes:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not Maglite ML300L 4cell D
511m throw
High: 1002L for 5hr 45min
Low: 128L for 97 hr
Eco Mode: 18L for 434 hr

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
For an unlimited budget:
The 2018 Fenix tk75. 5k lumens and 800 meters throw for under 300 dollars
The Imalent RC90 with over 1500 meters throw and simultaneous 20,000 lumens. But expensive and very large (much wider and heavier than a 4 " cell light)

The Acebeam K65 with over 6k lumens and over 1300 meters of throw (cheaper, around 200 dollars, smallish still 4x18650)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to go wrong with one of the ML300's. Mag did a great job with these.

strideredc

Enlightened
I made a mad 4d with a 5w led and a 5 mega head insert about 10 years ago for my father in law and its still going strong... 3 rechargeables direct drive!... mags are heavy and bulky but you cant beat them still... not looked at a led version from then yet!

sgt253

Enlightened
Maglite would be my suggestion. Recently picked up 3c cell (611 lumens high) and 2 d cell (524 lumens high). Really like the lights and the customizable UI. Good luck.

Berneck1

Enlightened
If size is not an issue, the ML300 is a great light. Sure, the technology is a little outdated, but it still competes fine with my newer lights. It's built like a tank, and certainly could be used as protection. The run times are awesome on regular alkaline D batteries. However, I would recommend getting rechargeable D batteries for normal use. The runtimes will be less, but if you keep the batteries regularly maintained it should be fine for everyday use, and will save in battery replacement and environmental impact. Some people get Eneloop Pros with the D adaptors. Runtimes will be a fraction, but if prolonged use isn't the need, then that would probably be fine also.

I prefer something a little more "pocketable" for use around the house. I'm loving the Nitecore EA42. I keep it in a drawer right next to the door. Runs on 4 AA batteries, has excellent throw and a better UI. However, my wife sometimes clicks on the wrong button and doesn't want to be bothered "figuring out" the UI on most of my lights. There is something to be said for simple on and off. I'm thinking of getting the ML50 2C light for her. Very "grab and go" for her needs.

And that brings one last thing to consider. A 4D light is huge! I find the 3D to be less cumbersome, but no less formidable. Also, consider whom else may be using it. My wife has no interest in carrying a 3D light, so a 2D or C may be all you need for everyday household use. You can get a 4D as your own toy lol. If cost is an issue, starting with something that it more useful to more people is probably the way to go.

maglite mike

Enlightened
If size is not an issue, the ML300 is a great light. Sure, the technology is a little outdated, but it still competes fine with my newer lights. It's built like a tank, and certainly could be used as protection. The run times are awesome on regular alkaline D batteries. However, I would recommend getting rechargeable D batteries for normal use. The runtimes will be less, but if you keep the batteries regularly maintained it should be fine for everyday use, and will save in battery replacement and environmental impact. Some people get Eneloop Pros with the D adaptors. Runtimes will be a fraction, but if prolonged use isn't the need, then that would probably be fine also.

I prefer something a little more "pocketable" for use around the house. I'm loving the Nitecore EA42. I keep it in a drawer right next to the door. Runs on 4 AA batteries, has excellent throw and a better UI. However, my wife sometimes clicks on the wrong button and doesn't want to be bothered "figuring out" the UI on most of my lights. There is something to be said for simple on and off. I'm thinking of getting the ML50 2C light for her. Very "grab and go" for her needs.

And that brings one last thing to consider. A 4D light is huge! I find the 3D to be less cumbersome, but no less formidable. Also, consider whom else may be using it. My wife has no interest in carrying a 3D light, so a 2D or C may be all you need for everyday household use. You can get a 4D as your own toy lol. If cost is an issue, starting with something that it more useful to more people is probably the way to go.
Maglite also has he re chargable options in the mag charger and ml 150. I have have both and they are great lights.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Maglite also has he re chargable options in the mag charger and ml 150. I have have both and they are great lights.

Yeah, I've always had an aversion to proprietary rechargeable batteries. However, It's probably an excellent option for something that will be "docked" and used as an everyday household light.

MX421

Enlightened
need to narrow all the possible choices by putting some requirements tailored to your needs.

Is your back yard deep? Then the Malkoff Houndog, Fenix TK75 (sheer power), and I would also throw in a Convoy C8 or a BLF Stainles X6 which has a lighted tailcap making it easy to find in the dark (drains the battery long term though).

Do you want to flood a large area? Then a malkoff wildcat, Fenix TK75, maybe a P60 host with a triple or quad dropin and perhaps a striker bezel.

Been awhile since I've used a Maglight, but they are tough and durable lights.

Good luck and congrats on the new house!

Brigadier

Enlightened
Maglite 3D LED flashlight. Tough as nails, and the focusable beam is handy around the house. And they are cheap, so easily replaceable.

Last edited:

strideredc

Enlightened
Its funny, in 2006 when i joined no one would ever recommend a standard maglite (i had many a modded one as loved the maglite)...............how times change! maglite have moved with the times....slowly!

mcm308

Enlightened
My houselights consist of a Surefire M4 with 2x16650 and a Streamlight UltraStinger. I like incans. Especially for punching through fog and weather!