Custom homemade XHP70 Flashlight/Worklight/Spotlight I made

Sagermaniac

Newly Enlightened
I dont even know what I would classify this as. A few years ago I started messing around with installing custom LEDs in my car, and then my work from there kinda just moved in the direction of ultra high power LEDs. This unit is the first attempt I have made at an actual usable unit. I do a lot of install work in my car actually in the car, I dont have a garage or anything like that and I have a weird schedule so I do a lot of my install work in self serve car wash bays, which obviously means I need a lot of bright light. I found I was eating through batteries at a cost maybe even higher than gas, so I wanted a capable light that I could power straight off car 12v, hence this little project, I also wanted flashlight capability as well so I did add optics and a basic focusable capability. I know this does not look like a normal completed project, but keep in mind it was the first completed unit I have produced, so give me some slack :) the coolest thing I managed here is that, obviously with direct 12v drive it is running at the maximum output, also, I was able to achieve a level of heat dissipation that it can run non-stop indefinitely at maximum power level without becoming too hot to hold.

Ok, here are the smaller versions of the photos, just figured out how to make this work.... sorry, it has been many years since I last made any real contribution to a forum

6 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

5 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

8 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

12 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

9 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

14 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

Last edited:

Sagermaniac

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and before anyone asks, I figure someone will be curious anyway, the reason the wiring is external from the head down is because like I said this is my first serious attempt, and until I am completely sure that the device as configured runs no risk, under any circumstances of getting hot enough to melt the sheathing on the wire I did not want it near the hot spots. Also keeping in mind of coarse as I said this is basically a multipurpose light tool for car use, so I dont want to have to deal with the additional worry of blowing fuses and damaging sensitive electronics

Sagermaniac

Newly Enlightened
This is a second unit I made along with the first one as part of the same project. Even though there is quite a bit of apparent visual difference the are basically the same, except this one has a huge fan on the back because I run it for hours at a time. I also did not set this one up for a lens head because this one is used for illuminating my work bench when im doing YouTube videos of computer builds. Specs are the same, XHP70 LED. Because this one did not need to be handheld it is not attached to a tube like the first one and it should be pretty clear how I put it together. I know the styling is exceptionally rudimentary compared to a lot of the refined designs, but for what it does it is simple and works well, and even running the fan at a virtually silent level it keeps the unit cool enough that the entire length can be touched without burning yourself, even after hours of usage at maximum output. I know it is probably not everyones cup of tea, but I actually like the aesthetic of the way I put them together and will probably stick with doing it this way even if I can go with something more refined, it has kind of a modern but raw unfinished industrial look to it I think.

1 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

2 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

3 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

4 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

5 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting couple of builds there. I'd almost say they are a bit steampunk, and I get your appreciation of the aesthetic. Congratulations on two successful builds!

Sagermaniac

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so here is a couple of beam shots. I did not attempt to suppress the 4 quadrant look, I actually kinda like it, ill probably order some 70.2's and mess with those at some point, but for now this is what I have on hand.... One of my friends thought I was trying to make a Microsoft ad. As far as the design, honestly, looking through the forum im surprised at how few people Im seeing getting really creative with the designs, I mean, black tubes are great, but this is 2019, I kinda want the things to look like lightsabers or Klingon torture devices.

1 by DragonSystems, on Flickr

2 by DragonSystems, on Flickr