Fenix WF05E - Intrinsically Safe Light

kj2

Flashaholic
Just noticed this new light from Fenix at a German dealer. Besides it's a ATEX light, it could also function nicely as pocket light.

Cree XP-G2 LED
2x AAA batteries
3 modes; 85-30-10 lumens
Premium Typ HAIII anodizing
Weight: 38 Gram (without batteries)
Size: 134,5mm x 19mm x 14,9mm

fmn9js.png

1zyzhjo.png

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Them runtimes seem REAL high. For a couple of AA

Ok sorry just saw the runtime graph.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atex lights are not necessarily for Firefighters, they are for use in potentially explosive situations where a spark from the switch may cause an ignition.
I can see that it would be useful for an Ambulance worker for instance. Or even for someone who works in a hazardous environment.
P

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Atex lights are not necessarily for Firefighters, they are for use in potentially explosive situations where a spark from the switch may cause an ignition.
I can see that it would be useful for an Ambulance worker for instance. Or even for someone who works in a hazardous environment.
P

The picture in the OP shows what appear to be firefighters. Just thought it a bit odd.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Meh, Streamlight, Pelican and Nightstick have all got this market covered already.

I don't see this selling, maybe it might do well in the local Chinese and SE Asia markets though.

I miss the Fenix of old, they should stick to what they do best (and that includes not canceling popular lights like the LD01 and the E01). They seem to have lost a great deal of their market share over the last 10 years. I think this WF05E light is the latest in a long line of mistakes they have made. Harsh words, but really, look at them compared to around 2009-2012, their mistakes helped catapult other makers into the mainstream.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 is out of production? I'm pretty sure they are still making it. I think on another thread the Fenix-Store (I think it was...) confirmed they just didn't put it in the most recent catalogue for some reason.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
85 is too low of a high output as I had an Olight 2AAA penlight that did 200 lumens and it was nice. Around 150 lumens for high 40 medium and 5 low would be better IMO.

Burgess

Flashaholic
The E01 is out of production? I'm pretty sure they are still making it. I think on another thread the Fenix-Store (I think it was...) confirmed they just didn't put it in the most recent catalogue for some reason.

It has indeed been confirmed
that the Fenix E01 flashlight has been
* DISCONTINUED * !

:sigh:

And Fenix-Store recently stated here,
the *replacement* model
" may or may not " ever come about.

:sigh: :sigh:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
GASP!!! Really? Oh snap.... Well. I don't even have one anymore and I guess it's time to buy 10 of them lol. Wow... this feels like a big deal somehow.

I really hope they have an appropriate replacement. Something similar with easy functionality, but more modern emitter tech? Though I guess it's known for being a "vampire" because of the emitter.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
GASP!!! Really? Oh snap.... Well. I don't even have one anymore and I guess it's time to buy 10 of them lol. Wow... this feels like a big deal somehow.

I really hope they have an appropriate replacement. Something similar with easy functionality, but more modern emitter tech? Though I guess it's known for being a "vampire" because of the emitter.
You are aware of thiss, aren't you?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?452371-Sofirn-C01-Potted-AAA-w-High-CRI
P

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..............I miss the Fenix of old, they should stick to what they do best (and that includes not canceling popular lights like the LD01 and the E01). They seem to have lost a great deal of their market share over the last 10 years. I think this WF05E light is the latest in a long line of mistakes they have made. Harsh words, but really, look at them compared to around 2009-2012, their mistakes helped catapult other makers into the mainstream.
The peak for me acquiring Fenix lights was maybe 2 to 5 years ago. (The era of the first PD35's, PD32, LD12, new lanterns, upgraded twisty like the E15, E05, TK35's that would take flat top batteries, and some headlamps.) Lots of new lights from all manufacturers are coming out with built in chargers and single electronic side switches. Fenix seems to be following in that trend too. I simply do not like those but maybe market share is dictating it...........I da know.

There are a number of new Fenix models that I have lost interest in. I have been a big Fenix fan boy since early on. They have discontinued a bunch of lights that were favorites of mine without coming out with something that I would consider worthy of replacing what I already have. The trend into some stiffer tail cap switches, too flashy of headlamp straps, built in chargers, single side switches, built in proprietary batteries, only take button top batteries..............just isn't my liking.

Now full circle back to the WF05E. That light kind of intrigues me because its a twisty, starts on low, has a neutral white LED. But the mode spacing isn't great. 10-30-80 lumens. I don't care if 80 is the max out of a 2xAAA light. It just means longer run time. But a low of 10 lumens with the next mode up only 30. Sheesh, you'll hardly tell the difference. A spacing of something like 3-30-90 would have been better! The run time charts looked horrible. You see sagging output from the start on high battery current on a turbo or max level but not on a 2xAAA at 30 lumens. Those are not charts of a current regulated light.

So while this light looks intriguing, it just isn't something I feel I have to have. Maybe if it ever goes on a killer sale. But not at $34.95. Maybe the price represents the certification cost........but I don't think it represents performance.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has had lights with a single side switch for quite a long time in the "E" series, but yeah I guess only in the past few years have they had that more in the "PD" range. I love side switch lights if and only if they can tail-stand really well. That seems like it should be a given if you give up any tail-switch functionality.

As for lights being able to charge in the body. I'm not sure how I feel about in terms of the long term direction of lights. While I have to admit it is handy I also think there is something to having no USB style charging and being even better sealed. I guess it's not a big deal, but I wish more lights had a solution to cover the charging port better than a cheesy rubber flap. And like you said if it takes away the ability to use flat top cells that stinks too, but I guess isn't a huge deal.