Stainless vs Ti

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than weight is there any differences in stainless vs Ti lights? I have two keychain lights which I like very much and I just can't decide which one to keep on there. Will the Ti wear as well as the stainless?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Depends very much on the specific alloy (of each) but titanium will generally get surface scratches more easily. Probably easier to polish back up, though. And "stonewashed" (tumbled) Ti looks better than scratched up steel anyway.

Neither handle heat well, but that's not too much of an issue for most "keyring" size flashlights.

Both are physically tough.

Titanium can be easily (color-)anodized, of course.

Steel will have, and maintain, better threads.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a TI Eagtac that I have been pocket carrying for maybe two weeks and it is really starting to show marks pretty good. Nothing I'm worried about as it is a work light but didn't think they would show up so quick.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a Fenix LD01SS and have been carrying it in my pocket on my keychain with a chapstick cap over the business end of it and change banging on it since late 2010 and it looks about the same as it did when I got it.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stainless steel keychain, for 10 years it was scratched and polished in my pocket, it's pretty beautiful. It all depends on whether you like a more matte shade, or more brilliant (like a chrome bumper from old Mack truck)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both great and whichever one you prefer is better.
Depends on the finish whether they will show scratches really though Ti seems to show a little more visible either way maybe?
I prefer a StoneWashed finish and there they run about the same I think.
It is a lot more common for SS to have better threads too.
Ti is a lot lighter weight though and overall I am glad I don't have to choose,I love them both!
SS
3a5524a90a34cca92a18dda7da10133a.jpg

Ti
8c5e5d34d5ce36f8c171db1ea3ca9453.jpg

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Thrunite TiS which is the stainless steel version of the Ti3 with AAA cell.
It looks as good as the day I got it, threads still the same smoothness, operates the same and I EDC it for the past 3 years. I have felt the Ti version and the threading action is gritty in comparison. The heft of the stainless is much preferred as it reflects it's quality with just enough weight to let me know it's there.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti lights can have gritty threads. Most of the "cheap" ones have gritty threads. Custom ti lights often have nice and smooth threads. But they cost the extra $$$