Help with a New KEYCHAIN Light

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
My Jetbeam E10Rhas finally died. It was decent, bright, good size but would sometimes give me a hard time turning on and the key chain hole broke.

It needs:
USB rechargeable (micro usb or similar), built into the batter is fine
Under 4" long but not tiny (under 2.5")
Under $50
Durable
Hook up to key Chain
Brighter the better, but a turbo mode of 500 lumen would be a good start.
Good lockout
Tail cap switch a plus but not needed

i have been looking at a few of the lights below but I am kind of lost.

Fenix RC05 (Odd magnetic charging cord, would need to bring it everywhere I travel)
Olight S1 Mini (seems too small)
Fenix E16 (seems too small)
Nitecore TUP (Worried about busting the LCD in pocket with keys, thickness / square shape, buttons too easy to press)

There is just so many lights out there, not sure where to start.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the Nitecore Tube and the Tip are very nice keychain size lights. The tube is the smaller of the two, and has a ramping UI so you can pick just the amount of light you want. The Tip is more of a standard type of multi-mode light in a smaller package. The nice thing about the Tube is that is available with a Nichia 210 emitter for high CRI.
The Lumintop AAA Tool and the Streamlight Microstream are two other lights that many use as keychain lights.

PartyPete

Enlightened
As far as the Tup goes, on a get of keys I would imagine it would get fairly banged up and I'd be especially worried about the screen, although I'm sure one could affix something to protect it.

Personally, the light is kind of in that grey area. Some might tolerate it on keys, other may not. Personally, I think it's a bit big for keys and more suited as a small pocket light.

However, the Tip is more of a true keychain light and still has decent output.

Acebeam UC15 is another consideration as well if you want serious output on your keys.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
As far as the Tup goes, on a get of keys I would imagine it would get fairly banged up and I'd be especially worried about the screen, although I'm sure one could affix something to protect it.

Personally, the light is kind of in that grey area. Some might tolerate it on keys, other may not. Personally, I think it's a bit big for keys and more suited as a small pocket light.

However, the Tip is more of a true keychain light and still has decent output.

Acebeam UC15 is another consideration as well if you want serious output on your keys.

The TUPs odd shape and breakable lcd does concern me. I am looking for a bit more flashlight than the TIP. I have a MH12 that I love, but don't use it for EDC. My old Jetbeam was decent and ran off a 14500, making it a good siz 3.5" x .75". Just looking for something similar but better.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet1-MK is a fantastic little light.
It is a Twisty but otherwise fits all of your needs I think?
Also has a 1/4" threaded mount on the tail end which can be surprisingly handy for sure.
I carry one every day and 2 on Sundays!
(ok not really 2 on sundays)

ET D25 Clicky also great in both 123 or AA versions.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened
The TUPs odd shape and breakable lcd does concern me. I am looking for a bit more flashlight than the TIP. I have a MH12 that I love, but don't use it for EDC. My old Jetbeam was decent and ran off a 14500, making it a good siz 3.5" x .75". Just looking for something different/better.
The Tup is quirky but definitely packs a punch for its size.

The Acebeam UC15 is probably the next best thing if you want a more traditional form and function. Can run on 2x AAA but makes 1000 lumen with 2x 10440.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TUPs odd shape and breakable lcd does concern me. I am looking for a bit more flashlight than the TIP. I have a MH12 that I love, but don't use it for EDC. My old Jetbeam was decent and ran off a 14500, making it a good siz 3.5" x .75". Just looking for something similar but better.
If you are willing to use a 14500 size light look at the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0. Dual fuel, will tail stand and has nice holes to connect a key ring to if desired.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
If you are willing to use a 14500 size light look at the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0. Dual fuel, will tail stand and has nice holes to connect a key ring to if desired.

That is exactly the size/type of light I am looking for.

How does it compare to the Fenix PD25 or Nitecore MT1C?

I love the lights but no lockout. Do you just use unscrew the tail cap a bit and risk loss/water damage?

Also the have no USB charging.... I don't want to bring extra special wall charges for it ever time I travel.

Myabe my old Jetbeam E10R is the only USB micro, less than 4", 500+ lm, light with a lockout mode and loop for a key chain out there.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam E10R

Is the Jetbeam E10R the only USB micro, less than 4", 500+ lm, light with a lockout mode and loop for a key chain out there?

Was looking for an upgrade but I can't find another light like it and wanted to know if I was wasting my time looking.

The closest thing I found was the Nitecore TUP.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
You keep saying it has to have a lockout but the twisty all have lockout,untwist and light will not turn on,so I am a little confused by your list?
Any of the lights with batteries that remove that can use 3.7v batteries can use USB charged batteries too.
As long as they fit of course.

Last edited:

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
You keep saying it has to have a lockout but the twisty all have lockout,untwist and light will not turn on,so I am a little confused by your list?
Any of the lights with batteries that remove that can use 3.7v batteries can use USB charged batteries too.
As long as they fit of course.
This is the type of information I was looking for.

Is is it a pain or are there any issues with unscrewing the light? Water issues or just working itself completely off?

what are the best 14500 usb chargeable batteries and how do you know if they will fit into a light like the Fenix PD25?

Thanks

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general if the light has Lockout capability by just being unscrewed a little it is because the threads are anodized like the rest of the body and the head only makes electrical contact when screwed down all the way and so even slight unscrewing is enough to break that contact and insure lockout.
And I have rarely had one that unscrewed itself all the way though it can happen in some cases.
Again most lights have O-ring seals though for waterproofing and these also usually help keep the light screwed together.

I know the Jetbeam that I suggested already holds together plenty well but a Twisty sort of has to too.

As for the batteries fitting,I am too lazy to measure to be sure so I tend to buy the battery from the light maker and hope they considered whether their battery fits their light before I got there?
So I would assume a Fenix Battery will fit a Fenix light and they do sell batteries with USB ports right on them.
So far I have been lucky with that.

The other light that I recently got like yours is a Fenix LD15R which is a right angle light and a little odd maybe but it might check all the boxes for you too?

This is the type of information I was looking for.

Is is it a pain or are there any issues with unscrewing the light? Water issues or just working itself completely off?

what are the best 14500 usb chargeable batteries and how do you know if they will fit into a light like the Fenix PD25?

Thanks

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the lights but no lockout. Do you just use unscrew the tail cap a bit and risk loss/water damage?

Also the have no USB charging.... I don't want to bring extra special wall charges for it ever time I travel.
The Tool AA 2.0 uses a clicky switch in the tail. The switch cap is shrouded on both sides with body extensions that enable it to tail stand, so it would be almost impossible for something in your pocket to trigger the switch. No parasitic drain, no lockout needed.

As far as USB charging there are several small chargers that use magnetic caps to fasten to a single cell, and a micro USB input for power. So if you have a charger along for your phone, you have the power supply for a charger that is not much larger than the cell it is charging. If you carry an additional cell along, some of them can be used as a power bank as well.

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
I know this isn't the form factor that you are looking for, but I sure like my Nebo Mycro 400. 90 minute run time at 150 lumens, turbo 400 lumens which lights up the side of my neighbor's hangar at 300'. And it is USB rechargeable.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
In general if the light has Lockout capability by just being unscrewed a little it is because the threads are anodized like the rest of the body and the head only makes electrical contact when screwed down all the way and so even slight unscrewing is enough to break that contact and insure lockout.
And I have rarely had one that unscrewed itself all the way though it can happen in some cases.
Again most lights have O-ring seals though for waterproofing and these also usually help keep the light screwed together.

I know the Jetbeam that I suggested already holds together plenty well but a Twisty sort of has to too.

As for the batteries fitting,I am too lazy to measure to be sure so I tend to buy the battery from the light maker and hope they considered whether their battery fits their light before I got there?
So I would assume a Fenix Battery will fit a Fenix light and they do sell batteries with USB ports right on them.
So far I have been lucky with that.

The other light that I recently got like yours is a Fenix LD15R which is a right angle light and a little odd maybe but it might check all the boxes for you too?

I was looking and found the Nitecre MT10C light. It uses 18350 batters but I can not find these batteries with a micro usb charging port. Do these batteries just not have them? Thanks.