One EDC flashlight to rule them all.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
This has been coming for a while...

I was always fascinated with quality items. And I always thought flashlights were a necessity, so it was only a matter of time for the combination to get into my mind.

I started with a few JetBeams and Olights, which are excellent for the price point, and recently acquired the Mechtorch and the FidgetHQ Aonic.

What I am now after, is the one, ultimate EDC flashlight, or as close to it as there is.

So why not ask the experts? Here goes:

I want the build quality / beam quality / looks/ attention to detail of the McGizmo Haiku.
I want at 500lm minimum.
I want high CRI and neutral color temperature.
I want a pocketable size, so definitely smaller than the Haiku. I would say the size of the Mechtorch is the absolute maximum.
I want titanium.

So, is there a flashlight that ticks all the boxes out there? I need to know how much I need to start saving up for...

archimedes

Flashaholic
The thing is, there are always trade-offs.

The Tri-V is an amazing device, but one I have found to be somewhat delicate.

The BOSS is durable and powerful, but has a light engine dependent on a computer (more or less) to program, and I have found that to be a bit challenging at times (and would prefer a self-contained process, in any case)

The HDS is super-solid, but lacks ultra-high output.

You are already familiar with McGizmo, an excellent and balanced choice.

And on, and on. But those listed above may usefully start your search here ... :welcome:

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Arch says, every design has trade-offs. My personal "ultimate" EDC would be the Coolfall Spy 005, the biggest trade-off is cost of course, but it is absolutely the single best made light I have seen or held, nothing else compares. Titanium check, 500+ lumens check, compact check (I carry mine in my jeans watch pocket/5th pocket), depending on your emitter choice it can be high CRI and neutral (I went 5D XP-L Hi for throw, output, and good CRI 84 typ.), and has IMO a better beam than the Haiku (I like the McR-18 better than the McR-17XP).
Actual carry I prefer to carry it with CR123s for longer runtime, while the max with them is 1A vs 3A with the 16340 IMRs, it can run constantly at 1A in hand and with the XP-L HI I choose still packs ~400 lumens and would require a meter to tell the difference from 500 lumens.
jGy68Po.jpg
PoRxHoL.jpg

With more compromises, my other EDC torch is the Frelux Synergy with a SW35 R9080 219B I supplied, and is the black light on the left in the second photo. This light is considerably cheaper even for a custom, but retains excellent build quality and attention to detail. Very compact with an excellent ambidextrous clip or lanyard loop available, can be had in neutral high CRI stock (I supplied an even nicer emitter for mine), has a nice soft floody beam pattern, and it has excellent runtime off a pair of AAAs.
The compromises with the Synergy though, running on AAAs with a high CRI emitter it is about 120 lumens on high (though that is for an hour), it is solidly built but it is exquisitely well anodized aluminum and not titanium.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Arch says, every design has trade-offs. My personal "ultimate" EDC would be the Coolfall Spy 005, the biggest trade-off is cost of course, but it is absolutely the single best made light I have seen or held, nothing else compares. Titanium check, 500+ lumens check, compact check (I carry mine in my jeans watch pocket/5th pocket), depending on your emitter choice it can be high CRI and neutral (I went 5D XP-L Hi for throw, output, and good CRI 84 typ.), and has IMO a better beam than the Haiku (I like the McR-18 better than the McR-17XP).
Actual carry I prefer to carry it with CR123s for longer runtime, while the max with them is 1A vs 3A with the 16340 IMRs, it can run constantly at 1A in hand and with the XP-L HI I choose still packs ~400 lumens and would require a meter to tell the difference from 500 lumens.

With more compromises, my other EDC torch is the Frelux Synergy with a SW35 R9080 219B I supplied, and is the black light on the left in the second photo. This light is considerably cheaper even for a custom, but retains excellent build quality and attention to detail. Very compact with an excellent ambidextrous clip or lanyard loop available, can be had in neutral high CRI stock (I supplied an even nicer emitter for mine), has a nice soft floody beam pattern, and it has excellent runtime off a pair of AAAs.
The compromises with the Synergy though, running on AAAs with a high CRI emitter it is about 120 lumens on high (though that is for an hour), it is solidly built but it is exquisitely well anodized aluminum and not titanium.
The biggest trade off is cost... you're not kidding to the max. The relative number of people who could afford these lights must be pretty small. I mean, I thought a Haiku was expensive. But nearly 4 times that? If the maker could figure out a way to cut down costs... but then, maybe they want an exclusive club of owners.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest trade off is cost... you're not kidding to the max. The relative number of people who could afford these lights must be pretty small. I mean, I thought a Haiku was expensive. But nearly 4 times that? If the maker could figure out a way to cut down costs... but then, maybe they want an exclusive club of owners.
The base 007 is ~$1400 which considering the small production numbers, custom parts, heavy time investment to produce and develop, local USA machined, and a design that emphasizes durability and quality over cost effective manufacture, is really what you'd expect. The last similar project I saw was a Chinese light in the format and based on the design would not have been as robust and tight fitting and it was ~$1000. The 005 at $2000 though is hard to justify since it is a very limited re-introduction while the 007 has been made continuously since 2007, but I like the design enough over the 007 that I bit the bullet and thoroughly enjoy it and have carried mine nearly every waking minute since receiving.
As to lights in general I'd say the cut-off of diminishing returns for price is the $500-$600 range, above that is either speciality stuff like say a LeMax LX70 Superpower or necessarily expensive designs like the Spys, or stuff like the Hanko Trident or CWF Pele collabs where they are really functional art-form.

Honestly in the sub-$1000 range for a good reflector light the Haiku w/ a spare SuperLE from Tana is one of the best readily available lights around IMO, and personally is about as short as I can tolerate for a 1" diameter tube light. If you can make do with the short range of triple lights the BOSS in its 18350 form might suit your fancy but as mentioned they are programmed via video so need a computer or phone to change settings, but the driver is otherwise very versatile and with a 18650 and 18350 tube you can run 1x18650, 1x18350 or 2x18350 since the voltage range of the driver allows for 2S setup.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

An interesting selection of proposals, but nothing hits the spot yet.

The BOSS is very interesting and computer programmability (or mobile phone as I see it) is a plus for me as I am an I.T. professional, so it is quite familiar. But I think I am after a single emiter flashlight, with a nice beam profile, which I think the multi-emiter solutions simply lack.

I am starting to think that my dream flashlight would be something similar in size to the Olight S1R II Baton, if it was designed and made by Don, in titanium, with a Nichia emitter.

Also, the Tri-V, not what I am after, but veeeeery cool! Plus, > $5000 is not in my budget!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

An interesting selection of proposals, but nothing hits the spot yet....

I am starting to think that my dream flashlight would be something similar in size to the Olight S1R II Baton, if it was designed and made by Don, in titanium, with a Nichia emitter....

This is about that size ...

7CptZk7.jpg

But just to mention that some of your criteria are in (potential) conflict.

If you truly want tiny, and need 500+ lumens, and are set on titanium ... it will generate a lot of heat, that has to end up somewhere :eek:oo:
________

Totally not in the same class, or even similar category, but I am wondering if you might be interested in something more along the lines of the Emisar D4Ti ?

Last edited:

lunas

Enlightened
i prefer customizable so the king of EDC light is a convoy s2 or c8 or Solarforce L2p style light you can toss a driver and led to fit your need in any of those lights I am going to be running if it ever arrives a xhp35 HD in my L2p host sportac drop in i might run a xhp35 in my thorfire c8s host. currently i am running a Xpl v6 in my l2p

What was the necessity of titanium again?
class feel ease of changing color test the waterproofing and electrically change the color by putting 30v into it for a deep blue color or strip the host and give her a flame job tends to yield a dark blue as well but can yield other colors.

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we'd all appreciate having a Tri-V cost aside lol, but they are a bit delicate for EDC despite their awesomeness.
There are a few titanium production lights around though not much currently new and none that I think hit the spot you are looking for but you can get an idea by searching through flashlights.parametrek.com with your desired parameters.

As for other custom/high end lights that might suit you, there aren't many single emitters in titanium I can think of outside of McGizmo these days, and my work is longer than you'd like. I'm not a fan of Muyshondt but their Aeon Mk III S2 is available in titanium and could be of interest if you don't mind the CR2 battery and 200 lumen output, and they seem to be well liked. The Malihini has been made in a few reflector variants but they aren't any shorter than a Haiku, I have made conversions for Hanko Tridents but those are second hand at 007 prices and conversions aren't cheap, even at table price it ends up being nearly a grand. The DC1 could be converted to a single as well and those a bit more available. The other Muyshondt light that sorta falls into your parameters would be the Beagle but in stock form at its original price I have a hard time recommending it as the XP-L2 center emitter choice is poor, the clip is sharp and weak, and the lack of any recessed gripping surface makes it bulky for its length.

Back on production lights for a really short reflector light with high output and CR123/16340 the Foursevens Mini MK 2 Turbo (larger reflector head) was made in stainless and a pretty sweet light but it benefits from an emitter swap. The MK 3 is nicely improved in driver and emitter choice but only in black aluminum. The Mini MK 2 was made in Ti but it is an optic light, neither of the Mini MK 2 variants are readily available now either.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti, but not 500 high cri lumens
https://www.hkequipment.net/product-p/zip20.htm

Darksucks Delta, has everything you asked for
https://darksucks.com/products/delta-flashlight-stone-washed-titanium

Niteye Eye10 TiC
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...EYE10-TIC-(Titanium-Carbon-Fiber)-In-Progress
You will need an emitter mod. Magnetic rotary is the one UI to rule them all.
42524609360_dddc160260_c.jpg

Jetbeam TCR-1, also Ti w magnetic rotary:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho...-flashlights&p=5237487&viewfull=1#post5237487
Also needs led mod

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
A true demonstration of his character... Devin chimes in three times and doesn't mention any of his lights once, which I honestly think requires serious consideration.

Sigma Customs Ti McRegulus on the left and 14500 Nova on the right. Both might be slightly longer than the Mectorch and Aonic, but I honestly think the single emitter reflector setup is a more versatile format than the multi-emitter optic format, and is well worth the additional length. The 14500 Nova uses a 14500 cell so although it's longer than what you'd like, the body is much more slender and really makes it more compact than it's length suggests. I think these lights should be considered because I think the reflector setup can provide more throw and reach longer distances, and though may not illuminate as well or as much in the near field as a multi-emitter setup, it can still do it adequately while providing the reach when needed. In a multi-emitter setup, to have any reach, your only option is to just put out more lumens. This, in turn, eats up more battery, which then requires you to carry a larger battery format for any decent runtime, and thus increasing the size of the light. In addition, the additional output is also placed in the near field, and so everything around you is lit up very brightly. So brightly that it washes out anything you may be concentrating on in the distance. So it's like a lose-lose situation.

UBjuzGQ
UBjuzGQ.jpg

ZcBZPPi.jpg

Pros:

• Titanium
  • Build quality and detail that I believe is on par with a McGizmo
  • Neutral tint or hi-cri because Devin is a firm believer in using those types of emitters
  • Definitely over 500 lumens
  • Simple and purposeful design

Cons:

• May be slightly longer than what you like.
  • Not mass produced (which could be a pro depending on your POV) so is somewhat hard to acquire.

Last edited:

lunas

Enlightened
A true demonstration of his character... Devin chimes in three times and doesn't mention any of his lights once, which I honestly think requires serious consideration.

Sigma Customs Ti McRegulus on the left and 14500 Nova on the right. Both might be slightly longer than the Mectorch and Aonic, but I honestly think the single emitter reflector setup is a more versatile format than the multi-emitter optic format, and is well worth the additional length. The 14500 Nova uses a 14500 cell so although it's longer than what you'd like, the body is much more slender and really makes it more compact than it's length suggests. I think these lights should be considered because I think the reflector setup can provide more throw and reach longer distances, and though may not illuminate as well or as much in the near field as a multi-emitter setup, it can still do it adequately while providing the reach when needed. In a multi-emitter setup, to have any reach, your only option is to just put out more lumens. This, in turn, eats up more battery, which then requires you to carry a larger battery format for any decent runtime, and thus increasing the size of the light. In addition, the additional output is also placed in the near field, and so everything around you is lit up very brightly. So brightly that it washes out anything you may be concentrating on in the distance. So it's like a lose-lose situation.

UBjuzGQ

Pros:

• Titanium
  • Build quality and detail that I believe is on par with a McGizmo
  • Neutral tint or hi-cri because Devin is a firm believer in using those types of emitters
  • Definitely over 500 lumens
  • Simple and purposeful design

Cons:

• May be slightly longer than what you like.
  • Not mass produced (which could be a pro depending on your POV) so is somewhat hard to acquire.
very nice lights my only issue is to build on your con of the custom made to order on the subject of EDC i have a belief that one should carry nice things but things that wont kill your wallet if you are mugged, pick pocketed, or it outright falls out of your pocket and is lost I have seen stories of people losing $200-$300 benchmade knives they were carrying edc and they had the pocket clip snag on something and it slipped out who knows when. or that it was a cherished gift from a spouse or family that can't be replaced like an old knife passed to them from the dead grandfather.

And so my EDC consists of a pilot ball point pen a Solar force L2p host with a xpl 1300lm drop in 1 mode and a kershaw Kuro i can replace all 3 of my edc items for under 50$ with the most expensive one being the torch which i could replace for around 20-30$

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started with the Muyshondt aeon MK III. Used that for a few months and decided the HDS Systems, even though larger, was the best of the best edc flashlight.

This was mostly due to easy to program lumen levels, use of multiple power sources, high level of sophistication, and multiple safety features. No other light comes close.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
The Muyshondt Aeon MKIII satisfies your desire for titanium, compact size, high CRI, and neutral beam, but falls very short of 500 lumens... It actually is the closest to what you're describing of lights I can think of.

Someone said Prometheus Delta. It satisfies all of your desires except for being smaller than the Haiku. It is similar in size to the Haiku.
If you don't mind losing the long distance capability, there is the McGizmo mule, which can use all the same body options that the Haiku uses, but the head is significantly smaller, thus the entire light is much more compact overall. The beam on the mule will be basically perfect. No spots, no rings, no nothing. With the HIVE driver and the XPL HI emitter Don is currently offering, you'd be pretty close to 500 lumens, but still a little bit shy of 500...
Keep in mind a very compact light putting out 500+ lumens will have issues with heat dissipation, so the 500 lumen output will not last long before a step down in brightness. Also very compact size paired with 500 lumen output will result in very short run times.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually if what you are looking for is an Olight S1R-sized light in Titanium you could just get a titanium Olight S1. The light would have decent build quality, be titanium, have a good UI, be sized similarly to an Olight S1R, and would have over 500 lumen max output.

The biggest downside of course is such a light wouldn't have the elite "bling factor" and wouldn't be as tough as lights with thicker, more heavily built built sidewalls and potted electronics.

ven

Flashaholic

An excellent point, his work looks amazing.........................and for me unfortunately, just looking from pictures. Otherwise i would love to comment further and chuck some pics of his lights up. Defo worthy of consideration, beautiful light pieces! :)

Nichia!

Banned
If you can forget about nichia and Titanium then you need to look at Zebralight they are killer lights and they offer Hi CRI now but not nichia...